Television

Is anyone else a Big Brother fan? No one? Well, I won’t let that stop me from talking about it. I’ve watched nearly every season and there are very few shows left on tv that get me as excited for a new episode as my beloved BB. And I get the rush of three new episodes each week! It’s just the best.

One of the things that makes it pretty epic is that basically everything the contestants do is recorded - there are cameras in the walls of every room in the house. This allows for a level of social voyeurism that is incredibly satisfying - people do embarrassing things and show their true colors. They have a pretty wide range of people from different backgrounds represented, and it’s fascinating how interesting they all become (for the most part) the more time you spend watching them. There are always people that end up surprising you by how they carry themselves and operate in the house. People have secret alliances with other players and you get to see exactly how comfortable they are with lying to the other houseguests (and also how good they are at it). There’s a very real tension between players wanting to be their authentic self and doing whatever it takes to win. Some people are better than others at being manipulative - and some people don’t want to play the game that way at all. There are competitions for power in the house each week and there is a formal process for nomination and evictions, but the great thing about the show is how every social interaction becomes part of the game, too. Every comment, every behavior, whether intentional or unintentional, ends up factoring into the calculations that the players are making of how much to trust each other. Sometimes you can clearly see as a viewer watching at home that there was a misunderstanding or miscommunication that triggered a chain of events that ended someone’s game. And with all of this comes plenty of controversy and conflict. It can also be really interesting to hear what they really think (or want America to think that they think) in the privacy of the diary room.

We’re only about a week into this season but tonight is the first eviction. So far my ranking of players I’m rooting for is like this:

1) Ameerah - she’s keeping a low-profile but put on a pretty dominating performance in the first veto comp (ren fest pool noodle jousting). She also seems to know more about the world and have wisdom from her travels (aka she knows that the happiest country in the world is Denmark, not “Newark”) which can be an asset in dealing with a lot of different kinds of people in the house.

2) Joseph - also keeping a low-profile, seems like a genuine guy with strong values (so far) but also will probably do well in physical competitions

3) Monte - good competitor in the first HoH comp; seems to have strong relationships with most everyone and is respected and trusted

4) Nicole - kinda hard to read but seems really likable and genuine; the fact that she’s a personal chef will definitely make her less of a target since most of these people probably don’t know how to cook that well

5) Pooch - laying low this week, hasn’t been able to compete in anything so there’s not much to comment on; handled the nomination of the “backstage” players pretty fairly - doesn’t seem like anyone is targeting him (which is surprising)

6) Brittany - has a cool vibe and good energy; might be kind of a weirdo but sometimes that’s an asset because it might be hard for other players to “read” her

7) Terrance - seems to have a strong social game but not much of a competitor; I think people will like him too much to vote him out though

8) Kyle - seems like a goofball; might be good at physical comps but not sure he’s really playing the social game

9) Paloma - she’s the most fun to watch so far because she’s playing the game the hardest; she’s chatty and seems to have effectively rallied most of the women in the house to her cause and also got the guys on her side; seems like she kind of overreacted though and her pettiness/ jealousy might come back to bite her if everyone gets sick of it or starts to lose trust with her

10) Alyssa - she seems nice and I like the alliance she has with Paloma, but she doesn’t seem very good at comps so far and she thought “Newark” was a country

11) Michael - he’s kinda lovably awkward but also seems to be playing too hard and putting a target on his own back; doesn’t seem to have any allies, but is a strong competitor; not sure if he ever approached Taylor to talk game but they both seem to be kind of outsiders without any friends so they should team up if she doesn’t go home this week

12) Indy - I don’t know what to think yet. I kind of respect her bluntness in telling Michael that she wouldn’t play in the veto comp for him. Seems like a decent competitor. Not sure how the other houseguests feel about her.

13) Turner - doesn’t really seem to be playing the game; haven’t seen much of him; not sure if he’s connecting with anyone or made any alliances yet

14) Jasmine - she seems genuine and nice but not sure she will be able to compete very well or really want to make any big game moves; seems to just go with the flow

15) Taylor - seems to be having trouble connecting with anyone on a deeper level; Paloma is a clear enemy and seems like Paloma got the whole house on her side; feel bad for her, but she also seems to not really care what people think to a level that makes people not trust her

16) Daniel - I just do not like him. It seems like winning the first Head of Household (HoH) competition went to his head, and he talks to America in the diary room like we’ve never watched the show before and can’t see what’s happening lol. He doesn’t seem very trustworthy after he had that heart-to-heart with Michael and still nominated him for eviction. He tried to target Michael and then lost to him in the veto competition so that blew up in his face.

Is anyone else a Big Brother fan? No one? Well, I won’t let that stop me from talking about it. I’ve watched nearly every season and there are very few shows left on tv that get me as excited for a new episode as my beloved BB. And I get the rush of three new episodes each week! It’s just the best.

One of the things that makes it pretty epic is that basically everything the contestants do is recorded - there are cameras in the walls of every room in the house. This allows for a level of social voyeurism that is incredibly satisfying - people do embarrassing things and show their true colors. They have a pretty wide range of people from different backgrounds represented, and it’s fascinating how interesting they all become (for the most part) the more time you spend watching them. There are always people that end up surprising you by how they carry themselves and operate in the house. People have secret alliances with other players and you get to see exactly how comfortable they are with lying to the other houseguests (and also how good they are at it). There’s a very real tension between players wanting to be their authentic self and doing whatever it takes to win. Some people are better than others at being manipulative - and some people don’t want to play the game that way at all. There are competitions for power in the house each week and there is a formal process for nomination and evictions, but the great thing about the show is how every social interaction becomes part of the game, too. Every comment, every behavior, whether intentional or unintentional, ends up factoring into the calculations that the players are making of how much to trust each other. Sometimes you can clearly see as a viewer watching at home that there was a misunderstanding or miscommunication that triggered a chain of events that ended someone’s game. And with all of this comes plenty of controversy and conflict. It can also be really interesting to hear what they really think (or want America to think that they think) in the privacy of the diary room.

We’re only about a week into this season but tonight is the first eviction. So far my ranking of players I’m rooting for is like this:

1) Ameerah - she’s keeping a low-profile but put on a pretty dominating performance in the first veto comp (ren fest pool noodle jousting). She also seems to know more about the world and have wisdom from her travels (aka she knows that the happiest country in the world is Denmark, not “Newark”) which can be an asset in dealing with a lot of different kinds of people in the house.

2) Joseph - also keeping a low-profile, seems like a genuine guy with strong values (so far) but also will probably do well in physical competitions

3) Monte - good competitor in the first HoH comp; seems to have strong relationships with most everyone and is respected and trusted

4) Nicole - kinda hard to read but seems really likable and genuine; the fact that she’s a personal chef will definitely make her less of a target since most of these people probably don’t know how to cook that well

5) Pooch - laying low this week, hasn’t been able to compete in anything so there’s not much to comment on; handled the nomination of the “backstage” players pretty fairly - doesn’t seem like anyone is targeting him (which is surprising)

6) Brittany - has a cool vibe and good energy; might be kind of a weirdo but sometimes that’s an asset because it might be hard for other players to “read” her

7) Terrance - seems to have a strong social game but not much of a competitor; I think people will like him too much to vote him out though

8) Kyle - seems like a goofball; might be good at physical comps but not sure he’s really playing the social game

9) Paloma - she’s the most fun to watch so far because she’s playing the game the hardest; she’s chatty and seems to have effectively rallied most of the women in the house to her cause and also got the guys on her side; seems like she kind of overreacted though and her pettiness/ jealousy might come back to bite her if everyone gets sick of it or starts to lose trust with her

10) Alyssa - she seems nice and I like the alliance she has with Paloma, but she doesn’t seem very good at comps so far and she thought “Newark” was a country

11) Michael - he’s kinda lovably awkward but also seems to be playing too hard and putting a target on his own back; doesn’t seem to have any allies, but is a strong competitor; not sure if he ever approached Taylor to talk game but they both seem to be kind of outsiders without any friends so they should team up if she doesn’t go home this week

12) Indy - I don’t know what to think yet. I kind of respect her bluntness in telling Michael that she wouldn’t play in the veto comp for him. Seems like a decent competitor. Not sure how the other houseguests feel about her.

13) Turner - doesn’t really seem to be playing the game; haven’t seen much of him; not sure if he’s connecting with anyone or made any alliances yet

14) Jasmine - she seems genuine and nice but not sure she will be able to compete very well or really want to make any big game moves; seems to just go with the flow

15) Taylor - seems to be having trouble connecting with anyone on a deeper level; Paloma is a clear enemy and seems like Paloma got the whole house on her side; feel bad for her, but she also seems to not really care what people think to a level that makes people not trust her

16) Daniel - I just do not like him. It seems like winning the first Head of Household (HoH) competition went to his head, and he talks to America in the diary room like we’ve never watched the show before and can’t see what’s happening lol. He doesn’t seem very trustworthy after he had that heart-to-heart with Michael and still nominated him for eviction. He tried to target Michael and then lost to him in the veto competition so that blew up in his face.
We’ve never watched the regular series but we’ve watched and enjoyed the last few Celebrity Big Brother seasons.

We’ve never watched the regular series but we’ve watched and enjoyed the last few Celebrity Big Brother seasons.

My wife and I are huge Big Brother fans. I've watched it since the first season. We also watch Big Brother Canada which might be even better than the U.S. version, though they use the same casting team and there is a little bit of overlap with some U.S. players making occasional appearances. We're finishing up season four of BBCAN this week. It's all on Paramount Plus.

I never gave Big Brother much of a chance, but I was a huge Survivor fan. From S1 through the at least first decade it was can't miss TV for me. And Probst is a great host. I fell out quite awhile ago, but I wouldn't mind dipping back in. I assume it's still on...right?

I never gave Big Brother much of a chance, but I was a huge Survivor fan. From S1 through the at least first decade it was can't miss TV for me. And Probst is a great host. I fell out quite awhile ago, but I wouldn't mind dipping back in. I assume it's still on...right?

Yeah. Survivor is still on and it's still the best. I've never missed an episode. Amazing Race is good too.

I just googled “big brother fantasy league”and joined a public league with random strangers haha. Who did you draft?
Awesome! Its pretty fun. I'm in a league with some friends and we draft two houseguests each. I drafted Paloma and Alyssa. I won't comment on how I am doing so far to avoid spoilers. :)

Awesome! Its pretty fun. I'm in a league with some friends and we draft two houseguests each. I drafted Paloma and Alyssa. I won't comment on how I am doing so far to avoid spoilers. :)
Oh wow. Yeah, that was a wild episode last night. So far I just have Joseph because the other people in my league are taking forever to make their picks in our snake draft.

Fyi, if anyone else has a dumb TV and was considering getting a roku product, they’re having a decent sale right now (ends tomorrow).

I had a browser tab open on my phone for the streambar and for whatever reason decided to buy one today and was pleasantly surprised that they happen to be marked down to $89.99 (from $129.99). But they also have just the streaming sticks on sale, too.

I’m watching The Bear and yes it lives up to all the hype and gets Chicago right.

The scene were Richie sees the Cubs sticker above Pete’s freezer and scoffs, “You would be a Cubs fan.” then asks if he even knows who’s their first baseman (which Pete gets right); is perfect.

As a fellow White Sox fan, who grew up in the land of the Cubbies, I can attest that our inferiority complex leads to the assumption most Cubs “fans” support the Northside club more for the party than for baseball.

Also, The Bear soundtrack was excellent. Great selections throughout: Wilco (obviously), The Beach Boys, Andrew Bird, John Mellencamp, Sufjan, R.E.M. though using anything off of OK Computer for a season closing montage should be considered cheating as Radiohead’s music is so cinematic it instantly ups any scene’s poignancy ten fold.

Last edited:
Back