Television

nolalady

Really just a spider from Mars
I tried the first three episodes and couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

We did the same thing, we watched the first few episodes but didn’t keep up with it so last weekend we said fuck it and started over from the beginning. It’s not amazing but it was enjoyable especially if you are looking for a fresh comedy.
Holly Hunter makes the show for me.
Maybe it's those years in the public health office, or maybe that's the person I hope to eventually evolve into, but she was spot on. The other characters have potential, but I think they need to be fleshed out better. I'm hoping they bring this one back.

Lightweight..you gotta start with the classic who from the 1960’s..then report back
I was waiting for this response. 😂 😂 😂

Max Sterling

I started with S1E1 of the one made in the early 2000's. I never realized it's been running for 12+ yrs!
Good, a lot of people hate on Eccleston, but I think he's good transition. And those episodes really setup the later, better, higher production value episodes. David Tennant is the G.O.A.T. in my opinion. With Tom Baker representing who I think of as actually BEING The Doctor.

There are some gems in the older show and a lot of history there as well. You'll run into characters in the new show and they'll seem to make a bit of a deal out of it, but you only know who they are if you've seen the old stuff. I wouldn't say it's necessary, but don't discount them out of hand.

Selaws

Fuck Yeah, Jeff Lemire’s Sweet Tooth is one of my all time favorites and I love Will Forte too so I am really hoping Netflix knocks this out of the park. The preview looks promising...
I absolutely LOVE Jeff Lemire's artwork and Sweet Tooth has always ticked so many boxes for me. Have to admit that this is one of those situations where I'm nervous as to whether they will do it justice or not, but definitely excited for it.

On a side note, I thoroughly recommend the comic 'The Underwater Welder'. It's not action-packed but the artwork is gorgeous and really ties into the theme of the story.

TenderLovingKiller®

On a side note, I thoroughly recommend the comic 'The Underwater Welder'. It's not action-packed but the artwork is gorgeous and really ties into the theme of the story.
Seconded. Loved Underwater Welder, Essex County, Lost Dogs, Roughneck etc... also, he has a collaboration with the late Gord Downie where Gord did music to accompany Lemire’s story and art. Very talented. He had some nice superhero runs too but his indie graphic novels are really fantastic.

Hollywood

My wife and I started watching HBO's Mare of Easttown (3 episodes in) and we love it so far! Great cast including Kate Winslet, Guy Pierce and Evan Peters who is perfect at acting drunk. Anyone else watching this series?

jamieanderson1968

My wife and I started watching HBO's Mare of Easttown (3 episodes in) and we love it so far! Great cast including Kate Winslet, Guy Pierce and Evan Peters who is perfect at acting drunk. Anyone else watching this series?
Watched the 1st 2eps so far and we are enjoying it.

Though, I would like to see a crime/mystery where the detective is NOT grappling with their own demons/past/addictions etc

Jeff Lerner

Though, I would like to see a crime/mystery where the detective is NOT grappling with their own demons/past/addictions etc
Scooby-Doo co-creator Joe Ruby dies aged 87 - BBC News

Bull Shannon

This was my thought. After watching the first episode I read an AVClub review that extolled the show's post-George Floyd examination of the flawed people at the center of the justice system; to me, Mare felt like just another detective fit in the mold of True Detective / Broadchurch / heck, even Dark.

I've only watched the first episode, and it's well-made...I don't know how the depiction of impoverished America sits with me; many of the characters are cartoonishly mean. I think the pet shop scene sums it up for me: it seems like you're supposed to feel for Mare not being able to afford a nice terrarium, but she spends the scene grumbling about how the turtle's gonna die anyway.

I'm going to catch up because I've heard enough people banging the drum for the show, but I'm having trouble seeing why this particular detective procedural stands head and shoulders above other detective procedurals.

Hollywood

This was my thought. After watching the first episode I read an AVClub review that extolled the show's post-George Floyd examination of the flawed people at the center of the justice system; to me, Mare felt like just another detective fit in the mold of True Detective / Broadchurch / heck, even Dark.

I've only watched the first episode, and it's well-made...I don't know how the depiction of impoverished America sits with me; many of the characters are cartoonishly mean. I think the pet shop scene sums it up for me: it seems like you're supposed to feel for Mare not being able to afford a nice terrarium, but she spends the scene grumbling about how the turtle's gonna die anyway.

I'm going to catch up because I've heard enough people banging the drum for the show, but I'm having trouble seeing why this particular detective procedural stands head and shoulders above other detective procedurals.
Because the central mystery is supported by such strong sense of place and character. The strong ensemble around her (Winslet) is compelling and powerful which provides a real sense of tragedy.

Gavaxeman

Agreed ..we’re two episodes in and enjoyed so far ...need something to get over the ending of latest Line of Duty

Jeff Lerner

Also, we recently finished The Good Place and are now watching Superstore. While I enjoyed TGP and appreciated its originality, Superstore makes me LOL waaayyy more often. I'm not saying it should be higher on the list than TGP, but seems like it should be somewhere on a top 100 list.