Television

Also a quick shout-out to that shuttle escape sequence in EP9... that was some superbly paced and intense action [chef's kiss].

At least in the book there was so much political machinations going on (belter vs belter, belter vs inner, old mars vs new mars etc) that Marco's moustache twirling was not so over the top. But I will give them credit for expanding the Drummer character much more than the book, Cara Gee has been one of the highlights of the series.

Just curious if they will try to bring in the Laconia storyline into season 6 or if they will just leave that for a possible movie.
I wouldn’t say I had a problem with Marco as a character or his storyline, but from episode-to-episode and scene-to-scene I could not for the life of me decide if the actor was giving a brilliant or horrible performance. It was definitely one or the other though.

Wire rewatch update:

I just finished season 4, having forgotten basically all of what even happened last time I watched it (over a decade ago). That season ends on such a (creative/thematic) high that I'm nervous going into 5.

I should do some digging into interviews/articles about the season's production, as well as the overall series, because from what I remember 5 is just such a strange note to end on. I hate seeing McNulty spend season 4 on the sidelines and happy, just to backslide right into the heel we knew him to be in seasons 1-3, arguably even worse, considering (again, hazy recollection) he spends season 5 forging evidence. Heck, the way it starts with Omar happily living in another country, just to pull him back to Baltimore...I just recall feeling like the whole season has this tone of "welp, here's one more of these," and doesn't land the plane so much as cut to a quick montage of a few passengers at the baggage claim.

A couple stray thoughts:

- Bubbles' story just ain't hitting right for me; I always chafe at "getting clean then relapsing" as a plot device, and he basically spends the show on the sidelines, getting let down by the cops (twice in the same way, where a cop was supposed to be literally, physically there for him, and they forgot), and losing protegees to the needle repeatedly.

- I honestly forgot most of the Herc and Carver plots, and it's been nice revisiting those characters realizing they had a little more depth and story.

- I also misremembered how Prez left the force; I thought he'd shot a kid. So when he goes on foot after that perp and McNulty comes around the corner to see him with a grown-up body, I thought for a sec "oh, maybe I remembered this wrong, and he's just affected by having taken a life, even a criminal's life." Then McNulty kneels down and finds the badge around the corpse's neck...such a sinking feeling.

- The kids' storylines in season 4 snuck up on me twice. First time around, I just didn't really dig the kids, didn't really see the point. But by the season's end, you're completely invested in all of them. It's heartbreaking. On rewatch, I knew their stories would pay off, but I still had this feeling of "eh, this is fine," and was all-in once more by the finale.

Wire rewatch update:

I just finished season 4, having forgotten basically all of what even happened last time I watched it (over a decade ago). That season ends on such a (creative/thematic) high that I'm nervous going into 5.

I should do some digging into interviews/articles about the season's production, as well as the overall series, because from what I remember 5 is just such a strange note to end on. I hate seeing McNulty spend season 4 on the sidelines and happy, just to backslide right into the heel we knew him to be in seasons 1-3, arguably even worse, considering (again, hazy recollection) he spends season 5 forging evidence. Heck, the way it starts with Omar happily living in another country, just to pull him back to Baltimore...I just recall feeling like the whole season has this tone of "welp, here's one more of these," and doesn't land the plane so much as cut to a quick montage of a few passengers at the baggage claim.

A couple stray thoughts:

- Bubbles' story just ain't hitting right for me; I always chafe at "getting clean then relapsing" as a plot device, and he basically spends the show on the sidelines, getting let down by the cops (twice in the same way, where a cop was supposed to be literally, physically there for him, and they forgot), and losing protegees to the needle repeatedly.

- I honestly forgot most of the Herc and Carver plots, and it's been nice revisiting those characters realizing they had a little more depth and story.

- I also misremembered how Prez left the force; I thought he'd shot a kid. So when he goes on foot after that perp and McNulty comes around the corner to see him with a grown-up body, I thought for a sec "oh, maybe I remembered this wrong, and he's just affected by having taken a life, even a criminal's life." Then McNulty kneels down and finds the badge around the corpse's neck...such a sinking feeling.

- The kids' storylines in season 4 snuck up on me twice. First time around, I just didn't really dig the kids, didn't really see the point. But by the season's end, you're completely invested in all of them. It's heartbreaking. On rewatch, I knew their stories would pay off, but I still had this feeling of "eh, this is fine," and was all-in once more by the finale.
Yeah, We wrapped up the rewatch of the series last month, and the thing that struck me is how each season is laid out. When I described it to My SO, I told her that each season focused on a different area; Season One, The Police; Seaon Two, Dock Workers/Unions; Season Three, City Hall; Season Four, Schools; and Season Five, The Press. While that is true what I had forgotten or maybe didn’t properly absorb the first time through; was that it’s not really cut and dry and what actually occurs is each season adds the specific focus to what was already going on. Part of the reason that Season 2 is the weakest IMO; is because that is the storyline that ends with the end of the season. Once the Mayor is introduced in season 3 he is a part of the story going forward, same with the kids in Season 4. It is impressive how big the story is that Simon is brilliantly balancing by the time season 5 wraps up. Also, while I still kinda hate the Serial Killer storyline that drives much of season 5, the rest of the season does a great job wrapping things up.

We are watching Ken Burn’s Jazz docu-series now but once we are done with that, I think we are gonna give Treme a rewatch. We haven’t watched it since it originally aired. My love of New Orleans, Jazz, and Food knows no bounds.

what I had forgotten or maybe didn’t properly absorb the first time through; was that it’s not really cut and dry and what actually occurs is each season adds the specific focus to what was already going on.
I'm having the same exact experience. Seeing characters like Bunny Colvin and Cutty playing large roles in 4 after being the focus of 3 really brought that into focus.

Yeah, We wrapped up the rewatch of the series last month, and the thing that struck me is how each season is laid out. When I described it to My SO, I told her that each season focused on a different area; Season One, The Police; Seaon Two, Dock Workers/Unions; Season Three, City Hall; Season Four, Schools; and Season Five, The Press. While that is true what I had forgotten or maybe didn’t properly absorb the first time through; was that it’s not really cut and dry and what actually occurs is each season adds the specific focus to what was already going on. Part of the reason that Season 2 is the weakest IMO; is because that is the storyline that ends with the end of the season. Once the Mayor is introduced in season 3 he is a part of the story going forward, same with the kids in Season 4. It is impressive how big the story is that Simon is brilliantly balancing by the time season 5 wraps up. Also, while I still kinda hate the Serial Killer storyline that drives much of season 5, the rest of the season does a great job wrapping things up.

We are watching Ken Burn’s Jazz docu-series now but once we are done with that, I think we are gonna give Treme a rewatch. We haven’t watched it since it originally aired. My love of New Orleans, Jazz, and Food knows no bounds.
I've watched the Wire at least 5 times and my favorite season always changes (it's never 5 lol). It was originally season 3 because of the Stringer/Avon storyline, but they do such a good job bringing you into the different focus areas and characters of each season that you get lured in and get hit with that gut punch of damn near every character being let down by whatever system or institution that they're a part of. Season 5 isn't as bad as the first couple of viewings, but it's still by far the weakest season I think.

Treme's been on my list of shows to watch since it came out, I need to just get on and start it.

I've watched the Wire at least 5 times and my favorite season always changes (it's never 5 lol). It was originally season 3 because of the Stringer/Avon storyline, but they do such a good job bringing you into the different focus areas and characters of each season that you get lured in and get hit with that gut punch of damn near every character being let down by whatever system or institution that they're a part of. Season 5 isn't as bad as the first couple of viewings, but it's still by far the weakest season I think.

Treme's been on my list of shows to watch since it came out, I need to just get on and start it.
I loved Treme the first time I watched it. I’m excited to go be it a rewatch.

My friend recommended the Patriot on Prime Video, and I’d never heard of it but really enjoying it so far. Three episodes in now. I hear it got cancelled after the second season but I still have 17 more episodes to enjoy so I’ll take it.

My friend recommended the Patriot on Prime Video, and I’d never heard of it but really enjoying it so far. Three episodes in now. I hear it got cancelled after the second season but I still have 17 more episodes to enjoy so I’ll take it.
Whew, I thought you talking about the Mel Gibson Colonial Action flick.

Blasted through these in the last couple of weeks:

Dave - liked this way more than I expected considering I’m pretty indifferent on Lil Dicky. Not sure if this was his intent, but I found myself simultaneously rooting for and irritated by his character.

Lupin - went into this blind, and thought it was great. The ending/cliffhanger kind of seemed detached from the rest of the show though. Also, I didn’t know it was originally in French at first as Netflix auto selected the overdubbed English audio. It was awful, I only lasted a few minutes through the first episode before nearly giving up. Then I realized the original audio was French so I switched the audio and turned on subtitles. So much better 😂

Ted Lasso - absolutely loved it. Unexpectedly wholesome

Back