Television

We've been watching Bridgerton, the new Netflix Shonda Rhimes show. Victorian era Britain with a modern twist (diverse casting and POC in positions of power). My wife is in the bag for anything Shonda, but I've been sucked in to it as well.

Rewatching Mad Men via my DVDs of the show feels so weird. It’s on streaming but popping in a disc instantly brings me back. I have a lot of tv shows on DVDs because I got into a lot of TV late 00s/early 10s and that was my hobby back then.
We just finished rewatching the series. I am in the same boat regarding DVDs. TBH, I sold off the vast majority of my DVD except for some of my all time favorites. I held on to my Mad Men’s DVDs the first 4 or 5 seasons (though I no longer have a DVD player) the first season is the zippo box and the 2nd season is the shirt box if I recall correctly.

We just finished rewatching the series. I am in the same boat regarding DVDs. TBH, I sold off the vast majority of my DVD except for some of my all time favorites. I held on to my Mad Men’s DVDs the first 4 or 5 seasons (though I no longer have a DVD player) the first season is the zippo box and the 2nd season is the shirt box if I recall correctly.
Yup I have the first 5 seasons only. Got them all for Christmas one year. I think the seasons after that I didn’t want to buy them myself after streaming becoming the new thing.

I would probably sell some DVDs if they had more value. I do like having them on the shelf just to show. I sold the entire series of Friends on DVD for like $40 way back in 2016. I also got it for Christmas one year but by that point I was kind of over that show so I didn’t need. I think my parents paid like $100 for it at least 😱

Rewatching Mad Men via my DVDs of the show feels so weird. It’s on streaming but popping in a disc instantly brings me back. I have a lot of tv shows on DVDs because I got into a lot of TV late 00s/early 10s and that was my hobby back then.
Yeah exactly the same here. I did end up selling pretty much all of my tv series dvds..with some exceptions. I just got the complete Office cause I knew it would be leaving Netflix. I used to have most of them individually. I also got the complete Parks and Rec cause I knew I wanted to have it... Anyway, I still own all my Mad Men sets. But I weirdly never bought the final final season so I have only seen that one like once when it aired.

I’ve been rewatching Mad Men with my father and it is only reinforcing my opinion that it’s one of the best shows ever made.
Agreed, Even after watching it all the way through 3 times prior I was still picking up things I had missed while going through Mad Men for a fourth time. I think once you know the characters and main plot well you can focus more on their interactions nuances that you miss initially while figuring those things out. I noticed the same thing during my recent rewatches of Deadwood, Mad Men, Sopranos, Band Of Brothers and currently The Wire. Great TV get even better the more you rewatch it.

This is the way of the future (once again). I always snag a stack on dvds when I'm at half price books. I'm at the point where I'm sick of scouring streaming services for individual shows or movies. A lot of stuff isn't even available! Fuck that.

This is the way of the future (once again). I always snag a stack on dvds when I'm at half price books. I'm at the point where I'm sick of scouring streaming services for individual shows or movies. A lot of stuff isn't even available! Fuck that.
I have an external hard drive and torrent for that. Like this past weekend I wanted to watch the first 3 Indiana Jones movies but couldn’t find them on any streaming service so I just popped the HDMI in to the TV and was good to go.

Agreed, Even after watching it all the way through 3 times prior I was still picking up things I had missed while going through Mad Men for a fourth time. I think once you know the characters and main plot well you can focus more on their interactions nuances that you miss initially while figuring those things out. I noticed the same thing during my recent rewatches of Deadwood, Mad Men, Sopranos, Band Of Brothers and currently The Wire. Great TV get even better the more you rewatch it.

I'm on a third pass of The Sopranos, this time with closed captions on. Not only is the show still outstanding, I am picking up way more of the lingo/slang as well. But damn, the violence towards women is pretty unbearable at times. And, Omar from The Wire was in two scenes of Sopranos in an episode of S3.

It's disappointing, but not surprising, that Chris Chibnall has been as bad for Doctor Who as I expected. Jodie Whittaker was wasted in the role.

Agree ,..the dr who writing has nose dived off a cliff ...amateurish and preachy...no subtly .. utter crap now
Moffat could be preachy and too-clever, but he was fun. I loved Series 10 and I'm so disappointed seeing the show's potential squandered the past few years.

Moffat could be preachy and too-clever, but he was fun. I loved Series 10 and I'm so disappointed seeing the show's potential squandered the past few years.
Same here ..got all the classic era Who DVD and new stuff thru to series 10..haven’t bothered with 11 & 12 ..was a real chore to even watch them at all ..it’s gone from a must watch family Saturday night tv to something I put on by myself in the hope it might not be as bad as I fear ..only to be disappointed again ..the last series ending was bananas ...still haven’t bothered watching the New Year’s Day special yet

So after a few years of waiting because I don't get the channel; thanks to Peacock I was finally able to start 'Yellowstone'.

I'm only one episode in (which was two hours I think), but for me there's too much going on - who's doing what and why, who is who and who is related to who, etc.

I'll give it a little while longer but I found myself initially to be more overwhelmed than entertained.

So after a few years of waiting because I don't get the channel; thanks to Peacock I was finally able to start 'Yellowstone'.

I'm only one episode in (which was two hours I think), but for me there's too much going on - who's doing what and why, who is who and who is related to who, etc.

I'll give it a little while longer but I found myself initially to be more overwhelmed than entertained.
This was me with Deadwood. I didn’t quite understand everything. I kept going with 2 more episodes but I wasn’t hooked so I stopped. I know everyone raves about it but I couldn’t get into it.

This was me with Deadwood. I didn’t quite understand everything. I kept going with 2 more episodes but I wasn’t hooked so I stopped. I know everyone raves about it but I couldn’t get into it.
I haven’t seen Yellowstone but I think a lot of shows that just kind of drop you into the world without much exposition expect the audience will figure it out as the story progresses. I also think that is one of the reason I have been enjoying rewatching so many of these peak TV shows again. Since you already know all the characters you can focus on other things you may have missed.

Back