Technical Difficulties Thread

So as many of you know...I recently upgraded my cart cuz I fucked up my old needle ...anyways I hate putting them in and I always get worried.
Jump to recent arrivals of vinyl and cleaning..I’m noticing some pops and static like noises on some records, more than the usual amount...I’m pretty sure I put in Cart correct and checked with various tools.

could putting in the cart wrong make noises like these appear, or could it be spin clean related more
(Granted one album is Moses new one from jagjageuar and they are known to suck )😂

What was the old cartridge? New one? Turntable?

Hudson hifi protractor and azimuth thing

This does not sound like a setup or cartridge issue.

As an example, my system will pick up static pops when I flip the album. This sounds like static electricity. I’d imagine your air is far less humid in OH than mine is in FL.

A Zerostat should fix it. If you’d like to borrow mine to see, I’ll be glad to lend mine to you.

This does not sound like a setup or cartridge issue.

As an example, my system will pick up static pops when I flip the album. This sounds like static electricity. I’d imagine your air is far less humid in OH than mine is in FL.

A Zerostat should fix it. If you’d like to borrow mine to see, I’ll be glad to lend mine to you.
Well I have one...the thing is tho it doesn’t click anymore when pulling trigger, is that a good or bad thing? I’m assuming bad, but the spark still shows when you put the tester on it

So as many of you know...I recently upgraded my cart cuz I fucked up my old needle ...anyways I hate putting them in and I always get worried.
Jump to recent arrivals of vinyl and cleaning..I’m noticing some pops and static like noises on some records, more than the usual amount...I’m pretty sure I put in Cart correct and checked with various tools.

could putting in the cart wrong make noises like these appear, or could it be spin clean related more
(Granted one album is Moses new one from jagjageuar and they are known to suck )😂
I gotta agree with @HiFi Guy , it wouldn't be the cart or alignment, if it were distortion, even skipping, I would be looking at the setup. Do you have an anti-static brush you can use? Maybe give it a clean bath, and then use the brush before dropping the needle, maybe give the stylus a little cleaning as well.

I gotta agree with @HiFi Guy , it wouldn't be the cart or alignment, if it were distortion, even skipping, I would be looking at the setup. Do you have an anti-static brush you can use? Maybe give it a clean bath, and then use the brush before dropping the needle, maybe give the stylus a little cleaning as well.
I do have a brush as well ... next spin clean bath I’ll clean like normally but then I’ll do just a bath of distilled water afterwards to check as well

I agree, but it should click if you want it to- not pulling the trigger slowly.

That’s what I assumed too, but when you pull it in the spindle you want it too I thought

@HiFi Guy is right, I just wanted to clarify: If you pull the trigger too hard it should click, but that's a sign you're straining the mechanism. Doing this a lot will eventually break the device, at which point it will no longer click and you're out $100.

You should never intentionally cause the ZeroStat to click.

I'm having inconsistent pitch issues on my Audio Technica LP120 the past couple of days. Its happened on different records etc. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I have been collecting a long time, but my knowledge of turntables and audio equipment is horrible unfortunately. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Inconsistent pitch in records means the turntable can't maintain the right speed. A quick Google search indicates the LP120 is direct drive which means my stock answer of "replace the belt" doesn't apply.

Maybe it just needs some oil. If so, here is a YouTube video of someone oiling the motor: Audio Technica AT-PL 120 (& USB version) Oiling the Motor spindle. I don't know if that 's the problem or not, but maybe someone who knows more about this unit can chime in. Don't start tearing into your turntable yet—I don't know what I'm talking about!

Inconsistent pitch in records means the turntable can't maintain the right speed. A quick Google search indicates the LP120 is direct drive which means my stock answer of "replace the belt" doesn't apply.

Maybe it just needs some oil. If so, here is a YouTube video of someone oiling the motor: Audio Technica AT-PL 120 (& USB version) Oiling the Motor spindle. I don't know if that 's the problem or not, but maybe someone who knows more about this unit can chime in. Don't start tearing into your turntable yet—I don't know what I'm talking about!
Well crap. I just watched that video, and it ended in bitter failure. Sorry to waste your time with that. Here's hoping someone else has a better idea.

Back