Technical Difficulties Thread

If this is the case then replacement is probably the way to go since everything is already set up for that stylus/cartridge, I don't have to worry about trying to figure out how to reset everything up for a new cartridge.

Edit
Is this not the full cartridge and stylus? I am sure I am missing something.

Scroll down. That’s just the stylus.

If this is the case then replacement is probably the way to go since everything is already set up for that stylus/cartridge, I don't have to worry about trying to figure out how to reset everything up for a new cartridge.

Edit
Is this not the full cartridge and stylus? I am sure I am missing something.

The link appears to be just a replacement stylus.

If you're looking for more than just the replacement to your Ortofon, I'd suggest sharing your turntable, set-up, musical preferences and budget if you'd like to replace the cart. There are a lot of knowledgeable members here who can steer you in a good direction.

The link appears to be just a replacement stylus.

If you're looking for more than just the replacement to your Ortofon, I'd suggest sharing your turntable, set-up, musical preferences and budget if you'd like to replace the cart. There are a lot of knowledgeable members here who can steer you in a good direction.

I have a Technics SL-D3 with a random Pioneer receiver and Kilpsch R-15Ms

Hey guys! I have a massive problem with my Rega Planar 3! Whenever the tonearm/stylus needle gets to around 2/3 playing into the vinyl (so usually around 4th track if there are 6 tracks on one side or 8 minutes into one side if that side is 12 minutes minutes long), it starts skipping, like repeating the same 2-3 seconds. I’ve tried playing around 10 different records and it does the exact same skipping on all records, so I know it’s a turntable/tonearm issue.

i re-aligned my turntable and did all the settings correctly. 175 degree + 175 degree (I have a Elys 2 cartridge) as well as making sure the tonearm floats etc. So I’m not sure what’s wrong?

Does anyone know what the issue might be? Anyone else have a Regar Planar and has experienced the same issue?

Thank you, appreciate it! ☺️

Hey guys! I have a massive problem with my Rega Planar 3! Whenever the tonearm/stylus needle gets to around 2/3 playing into the vinyl (so usually around 4th track if there are 6 tracks on one side or 8 minutes into one side if that side is 12 minutes minutes long), it starts skipping, like repeating the same 2-3 seconds. I’ve tried playing around 10 different records and it does the exact same skipping on all records, so I know it’s a turntable/tonearm issue.

i re-aligned my turntable and did all the settings correctly. 175 degree + 175 degree (I have a Elys 2 cartridge) as well as making sure the tonearm floats etc. So I’m not sure what’s wrong?

Does anyone know what the issue might be? Anyone else have a Regar Planar and has experienced the same issue?

Thank you, appreciate it! ☺️

Did you check the anti skate and weather the stylus may be dirty? 🙂

Thank you so much Bluecloud! I’m going to look into this thread now!

Do you still have your speakers on the same surface as your table? And is this happening on bass heavy albums/tracks?

If both of those are the case and the threads suggestions don’t work it may be that vibrations from the speakers are feeding back through the surface to the tonearm causing it to skip.

In this scenario it might be an idea to get an isolation platform for the turntable and the foam isolation pads to sit the speakers on to stop this happening.

Do you still have your speakers on the same surface as your table? And is this happening on bass heavy albums/tracks?

If both of those are the case and the threads suggestions don’t work it may be that vibrations from the speakers are feeding back through the surface to the tonearm causing it to skip.

In this scenario it might be an idea to get an isolation platform for the turntable and the foam isolation pads to sit the speakers on to stop this happening.
So, I’ve changed something from 175 to 300 (top of the tonearm) and I peeled off something (the thing just undernearth the tonearm, which stabilises it, and it kinda works now! When it’s at 175, it just comes back quickly, but I’ve tightened it heaps and it works now 🤷‍♂️

Before it was literally tracking backwards and it sounded scary and now it seems to be ok! 👍

I just don’t even know what I’m doing and I’ve probably damaged something but 🤷‍♂️

I’ve got foam isolation pads for the speakers but have never heard of an isolation platform for the turntable! That sounds like something I should really look into actually! My speakers and turntable both sit on top of the Kallax shelf so I think an isolation platform for the turntable would be really beneficial!

PS - This doesn’t happen on heavy bass tracks. It happens like 2/3 into the side! Every record I play, around 2/3 into it, it starts skipping, replaying/going a bit backwards. I’ve tried MoFI, AP, VMP Classics, just general pressings and it’s all had the same result!

Thank you so much Bluecloud! I’m going to look into this thread now!
It was really good reading this thread! Like I think I fixed my issue because of this thread! 👍☺️

Ive probably damaged my turntable but it seems to be good for now! I’ve got work off tomorrow so I’m going to play some records then and see how I go! 😁

Thank you so much for your help! Appreciate it! 🙏

It was really good reading this thread! Like I think I fixed my issue because of this thread! 👍☺️

Ive probably damaged my turntable but it seems to be good for now! I’ve got work off tomorrow so I’m going to play some records then and see how I go! 😁

I'm glad that thread was helpful for you and that the problem disappeared for now. Joe is definitely right that your speakers and turntable shouldn't both be standing on the shelf without any isolation as that could cause vibration for the stylus. However, I think as the problem has happened with all kinds of records at the same spot it was probably due to something else. Hope nothing got damaged, but glad it's working now for you. 🙂

I’ve got foam isolation pads for the speakers but have never heard of an isolation platform for the turntable! That sounds like something I should really look into actually! My speakers and turntable both sit on top of the Kallax shelf so I think an isolation platform for the turntable would be really beneficial!

PS - This doesn’t happen on heavy bass tracks. It happens like 2/3 into the side! Every record I play, around 2/3 into it, it starts skipping, replaying/going a bit backwards. I’ve tried MoFI, AP, VMP Classics, just general pressings and it’s all had the same result!

It was really good reading this thread! Like I think I fixed my issue because of this thread! 👍

Glad you got it sorted and 🤞🏻 that nothing has been damaged!

Yeah it’s definitely something you should look into, even if they don’t cause skips the vibrations can effect the sound. The foam pads are a great first step in that regard but an isolation platform is the full belt and braces approach!

Here is an example of one in your city for sale

There are also companies that make nice bespoke ones if you google.

And finally the ikea hack to do one on a budget. I use this for my preamp/cd player/phono stage. You use a heavy chopping board with some soborthane feet attached underneath and set your tt on top.

This is the chopping board

And these are the feet I use

This pic shows how it looks under my CD player

9161A4BE-4FC8-45C4-847B-5C8ECFE5BD67.jpeg

For the past month or so my turntable has been spinning the wrong way when I turn it on. Right now it's a 50/50 chance it will go the right way. It works in usually 2 or 3 chances...sometimes the first.

Seems like I probably have a bad start/run capacitor.

As someone with no soldering experience...does anyone know if I would be able to do this fix myself?

I haven't opened up the motor compartment in a while to even remember if it is soldered in, wire nuts or a PCB board.

Last edited:
For the past month or so my turntable has been spinning the wrong way when I turn it on. Right now it's a 50/50 chance it will go the right way. It works in usually 2 or 3 chances...sometimes the first.

Seems like I probably have a bad start/run capacitor.

As someone with no soldering experience...does anyone know if I would be able to do this fix myself?

I haven't opened up the motor compartment in a while to even remember if it is soldered in, wire nuts or a PCB board.
If it's soldered, I would recommend getting some scrap wires to practice on first. Maybe chop up a spare power or USB cable that we all accumulate over time and melt that back together as art. It shouldn't take too long to get the hang of it before you're ready to tackle the turntable. There should be some decent soldering tutorials online.

If it's a PCB, you definitely want to practice before trying it. Maybe scavenge a practice board from a dead keyboard or something.

If it's soldered, I would recommend getting some scrap wires to practice on first. Maybe chop up a spare power or USB cable that we all accumulate over time and melt that back together as art. It shouldn't take too long to get the hang of it before you're ready to tackle the turntable. There should be some decent soldering tutorials online.

If it's a PCB, you definitely want to practice before trying it. Maybe scavenge a practice board from a dead keyboard or something.

Yeah. I'll open it up eventually to see what's going on in there. I had to replace the on/off switch about a year or 2 ago, but just don't remember the layout of everything else.

I also have to see if my old Technics TT is still operational, as I haven't used it in quite a few years. Gotta make sure I have a back up in case something goes wrong.

Yeah. I'll open it up eventually to see what's going on in there. I had to replace the on/off switch about a year or 2 ago, but just don't remember the layout of everything else.

I also have to see if my old Technics TT is still operational, as I haven't used it in quite a few years. Gotta make sure I have a back up in case something goes wrong.
Or just listen to your records backwards for like, all the hidden messages, maaaan

So as many of you know...I recently upgraded my cart cuz I fucked up my old needle ...anyways I hate putting them in and I always get worried.
Jump to recent arrivals of vinyl and cleaning..I’m noticing some pops and static like noises on some records, more than the usual amount...I’m pretty sure I put in Cart correct and checked with various tools.

could putting in the cart wrong make noises like these appear, or could it be spin clean related more
(Granted one album is Moses new one from jagjageuar and they are known to suck )😂

Back