Sutherland Club House

It’s probably only $200 difference since the Insight will be tax free. If you’re balking at that then maybe you shouldn’t be spending money tbh.

It's not the dollar amount, there's two major hangups:

1. My Parasound is still in repair limbo and I'm trying to see where that lands as it might cost money to repair (ugh)
2. I don't know how much warranty is left on the Insight vs getting five years buying new

So sure, I might save a couple hundo now but what if in 3-4 years it needs servicing?

1. My Parasound is still in repair limbo and I'm trying to see where that lands as it might cost money to repair (ugh)
2. I don't know how much warranty is left on the Insight vs getting five years buying new

So sure, I might save a couple hundo now but what if in 3-4 years it needs servicing?
I’ll let others weigh in on the warranty. I’m guessing if your unit craps out in 3-4 years then Ron himself would hop on a plane to fix it,

Your concerns are noted though, the gap in cost between the two would just be too small for me to pass up. I’d only jump at the Vibe if it were 500 or less. That’s just me though.

Warranties don't really matter with these units, as they don't break down

As for the difference between the Vibe and the Insight, a wiser mind than me is unequivocal
It’s a big difference. I’m not super fond of the Vibe, but loved my Insight.

Warranties don't really matter with these units, as they don't break down

As for the difference between the Vibe and the Insight, a wiser mind than me is unequivocal
+1
@ngower
I just sold my 20/20 and wanted to get a new box for it. Ron Sutherland replied to my email, verified if there was anything else I needed, including power supplies, manual, cords. He is very detail oriented and customer service focused. I doubt he has left anyone in a lurch with any Sutherland product. I don’t think he would care too much if it’s slightly out of warranty and it was second hand. Plus, if it works on day one, it’ll work on day 1,001.

KC Vibe's sell for not far from what I'd be buying it for, so it's a pretty easy "mistake" to make if I want to go up to the Insight down the road.

It's not a move I'm necessarily making in this moment, but one that makes sense as a "stop gap" while I get other components paid off. It's not like the vibe is a bad phono stage.
I wouldn’t spend $650 on a stop gap personally. The used insight route is the way I’d go.

+1
@ngower
I just sold my 20/20 and wanted to get a new box for it. Ron Sutherland replied to my email, verified if there was anything else I needed, including power supplies, manual, cords. He is very detail oriented and customer service focused. I doubt he has left anyone in a lurch with any Sutherland product. I don’t think he would care too much if it’s slightly out of warranty and it was second hand. Plus, if it works on day one, it’ll work on day 1,001.
He's shipping me new, higher quality power supplies for a 20/20 that I bought used five years ago. @ngower you have nothing to worry about as far as support or reliability. Truly.

I understand if @ngower has qualms about a warranty, especially if he had a Parasound crap out on him. I once had a Parasound P3 crap out on me, but the Sutherlands are in a different league of construction entirely.

What I recommend to @ngower is to do a N&G search on "Insight" and they will see that most people have recommended the Insight over the KC Vibe. Despite their similarities, the Insight is a more proven and more beloved phono. I've never heard of problems with them failing.

The only reasons I have not moved the sale over to U.S. Audiomart is because I know how much N&G members really do love the Insight and I'm not pressed for time to sell. For some member, this unit will be the upgrade opportunity they need and there is the option to buy the rare black faceplate, too.

Another Insight owner here saying, I would save up for another few months and just spring for the Insight, I truly feel it'll save you money in the long run. You'll want to upgrade away from the Vibe (probably to an insight if not something more expensive) in which case you're going to wish there was a $900 one laying around.

Obviously don't spring for something that'll break the bank atm but this is probably a good time to just be patient and get the right upgrade then get something lesser to scratch an itch.

@ngower

Another Insight owner here saying, I would save up for another few months and just spring for the Insight, I truly feel it'll save you money in the long run. You'll want to upgrade away from the Vibe (probably to an insight if not something more expensive) in which case you're going to wish there was a $900 one laying around.

Obviously don't spring for something that'll break the bank atm but this is probably a good time to just be patient and get the right upgrade then get something lesser to scratch an itch.

@ngower
Were you still looking for info on the 20/20 vs insight? I currently have both. I have two setups so when the 20/20 popped up here for a great deal, I jumped on it for my main system and moved the insight to my home office. The 20/20 was an upgrade from the insight but I think I’d move from insight to Duo to get a bigger jump. If I didn’t have that second system I probably would have held out for a Duo

Were you still looking for info on the 20/20 vs insight? I currently have both. I have two setups so when the 20/20 popped up here for a great deal, I jumped on it for my main system and moved the insight to my home office. The 20/20 was an upgrade from the insight but I think I’d move from insight to Duo to get a bigger jump. If I didn’t have that second system I probably would have held out for a Duo
That sounds like the same position that @HiFi Guy took, too.

@ngower
Also own an Insight, and have had a some experience with $500-$1k phono preamps (a Parasound something, and a Musical Surroundings Phonomena 2+) and the Insight is closer to my Manley Chinook, than it is vs its competitors.

Do what you want with your money, but its def more costly to buy, sell, buy the Vibe to the Insight, than just getting the $900 Insight available. To me it depends on if you are without a phono completely in the meantime, and how long till you could swing the $900-$1k for a used Insight.

KC Vibe's sell for not far from what I'd be buying it for, so it's a pretty easy "mistake" to make if I want to go up to the Insight down the road.

It's not a move I'm necessarily making in this moment, but one that makes sense as a "stop gap" while I get other components paid off. It's not like the vibe is a bad phono stage.
You gotta follow the path you feel comfy with, but having owned the KC and the Insight, I would honestly save for the Insight. Yes, you can probably flip the KC, but I don't know if I'd take the gamble.

I purchased the KC, had it for about a week or so, had some discussions with a few people and returned it before the 30 day window for the Insight...................I love my Manley, but miss my Insight. ;)

The KC is nice, but the jump is obscene between the two.

Sutherland KC Vibe.jpg Sutherland Insight.jpg

I agree with everyone else. Wait for TMR to have one for $800-900. My understanding is that the Insight, which I once owned and was blown away by, is much better than the KC. I buy everything used and it has given me the ability to try different things without losing my shirt.

Link your CC to PayPay and grab a used Insight. You won’t regret it.

Now Music Direct have 15% which would bring a NIB Insight down to like $1250 after tax. (Yes, I know there's the used one here you CULT!)

I'm not sure my wallet is surviving this day unscathed
I'd just go with the used one to save even more money. you'd be saving an additional $350 off that 15% off price including shipping and no tax.

Back