Sutherland Club House

I found out a bit of useless trivia about Sutherland phonos today. The switching power supply in the Insight and the Duo is produced by Mean Well, a highly-respected producer of power supplies based in Taiwan.

However, one of the two facilities that Mean Well operates in the US is in Kansas City, MO. This partially explains why Ron Sutherland uses this supply - he’s a Kansas City area native and always looks to use local suppliers whenever possible. Not sure what the story is about the switching supplies for the 20/20.

Last edited:
I found out a bit of useless trivia about Sutherland phonos today. The switching power supply in the Insight and the Duo is produced by Mean Well, a highly-respected producer of power supplies based in Taiwain.

However, one of the two facilities that Mean Well operates in the US is in Kansas City, MO. This partially explains why Ron Sutherland uses this supply - he’s a Kansas City area native and always looks to use local suppliers whenever possible. Not sure what the story is about the switching supplies for the 20/20.
My 20/20 came with MADEWELL power supplies. I don’t know if they always did so, as Ron wanted to make sure they were what I had.

My 20/20 came with MADEWELL power supplies. I don’t know if they always did so, as Ron wanted to make sure they were what I had.
It would make sense for him to use the same supplier; I know he is particular about his suppliers and his parts bin. I just couldn’t find that specific power supply on their site because initially.

I found out a bit of useless trivia about Sutherland phonos today. The switching power supply in the Insight and the Duo is produced by Mean Well, a highly-respected producer of power supplies based in Taiwain.

He told me there was a time when the MEANWELLS weren't available and they thought the Phihong were equivalent, but found they were not. If you don't have the MEANWELL, email him and he'll ship them to you, no charge.

You guys think it would be incredibly noticeable upgrading from an Insight 20/20 or should I hold off and save for something like the duo or a higher end phono/pre?
Having owned both the 20/20 and Duo I can say from experience that the Duo handily outperforms the other. Same as the 20/20 being a step above the Insight, as someone mentioned. Ron is a very value-oriented person and gives you what you pay for and each rung up the ladder is perceptively better sounding. To me, it’s all about system balance and what your future goals may be. No sense in having an outstanding piece of gear if the rest of the system isn't equal in performance unless you are certain that you intend to upgrade associated gear.

Last edited:
Music Direct have the Sutherland KC Vibe 2 for ~650 after a promo code, tempted to go this route. Insight is something that I have my sights on but the Vibe is half the price. Someone talk me into spending money.

Music Direct have the Sutherland KC Vibe 2 for ~650 after a promo code, tempted to go this route. Insight is something that I have my sights on but the Vibe is half the price. Someone talk me into spending money.
@Angsty's Insight is $900 shipped! These things aren't wear items, you lose nothing by buying used.

You don’t have PayPal? Seems like a no brainer, you’d be wasting $650 that should just go to that Insight.

KC Vibe's sell for not far from what I'd be buying it for, so it's a pretty easy "mistake" to make if I want to go up to the Insight down the road.

It's not a move I'm necessarily making in this moment, but one that makes sense as a "stop gap" while I get other components paid off. It's not like the vibe is a bad phono stage.

KC Vibe's sell for not far from what I'd be buying it for, so it's a pretty easy "mistake" to make if I want to go up to the Insight down the road.

It's not a move I'm necessarily making in this moment, but one that makes sense as a "stop gap" while I get other components paid off. It's not like the vibe is a bad phono stage.
You asked for someone to talk you into spending money, and the people have spoken.

Back