Sutherland Club House

My phone conversations with Ron corroborate your take on his not claiming the LPS to be the better option.
I don’t want to discount all the research and electronics knowledge that’s being shared here, but my 20/20 came with both the standard and LPS options. It’s been a while but I tried both supplies and the LPS sounded more dynamic to me. I think I commented on it here at the time.

Altogether the package didn’t cost me much more than the Insight. What you all are saying makes sense, but if I didn’t hear an improvement I would have sold the LPS and saved myself even more money.

Battery change day. Never my proudest moment as someone who cares about the environment. There's still some juice left in these so they'll get used in my kids toys before going to be recycled.

Last changed June 2020 and I listen almost daily for an hour so that's pretty decent mileage.

IMG_20220310_153348.jpg

Battery change day. Never my proudest moment as someone who cares about the environment. There's still some juice left in these so they'll get used in my kids toys before going to be recycled.

Last changed June 2020 and I listen almost daily for an hour so that's pretty decent mileage.

View attachment 131889
9024F4BC-0EAE-45F7-BB9E-39B835795E4D.gif

View attachment 131889
Maybe use chargeable ones next time?

View attachment 131889
There is so much environmental penance to be paid with this hobby. I hadn’t considered batteries. Two years is pretty good though! Maybe invest in rechargeable batteries.

View attachment 131889
My faith in Ron dictates my faith in this piece of equipment, but I gotta be honest, knowing it was powered by 4 banks of batteries would make me crazy, lol.

That said, I'll add my vote to maybe trying a good rechargeable option :)

I wonder about the environmental impact of 16 D-Cell batteries every couple of years vs the passive draw of a wall-power phono.

In the scheme of things, it would take you several lifetimes to produce as much waste as one man's Tesla.

Insight purchased! Saturday ETA but knowing FedEx it’ll be Monday. Looking forward to seeing the improvements 🙌🏾
This is exciting. My Insight might be one of my favorite upgrades to my (admittedly moderate) system. I think you’ll be pleased in how much it pulls out of your cart.

So Insight has arrived. Unfortunately haven’t had a ton of time to test it out, but initial impressions are positive. LOVE having the adjustable gain which addressed one of the “issues” I was hoping for!! The few tracks I tested I also think I noticed an improvement to soundstage and instrument/vocals placement.

One small issue I am noticing is there is a hum/clicking that is coming out of both speakers when the TT is idle. It’s really only audible right next to the speaker, the right channel more so one. Anyone else have similar issue?

I’ve tried different cables and grounding wire but no difference. It isn’t there on the Pho-8 so not sure what could be the issue. Both the pre and amp share the same surge protector if that could possibly be it.

So Insight has arrived. Unfortunately haven’t had a ton of time to test it out, but initial impressions are positive. LOVE having the adjustable gain which addressed one of the “issues” I was hoping for!! The few tracks I tested I also think I noticed an improvement to soundstage and instrument/vocals placement.

One small issue I am noticing is there is a hum/clicking that is coming out of both speakers when the TT is idle. It’s really only audible right next to the speaker, the right channel more so one. Anyone else have similar issue?

I’ve tried different cables and grounding wire but no difference. It isn’t there on the Pho-8 so not sure what could be the issue. Both the pre and amp share the same surge protector if that could possibly be it.
I have never experienced the hum and finds the Insight runs super quiet. I'd check your grounding, the spatial area around the Insight, and that all your wires are tight and connected. Unfortunately, it seems like a trial and error issue so please don't drive yourself nuts trying to find the issue (I know I would!)

I have never experienced the hum and finds the Insight runs super quiet. I'd check your grounding, the spatial area around the Insight, and that all your wires are tight and connected. Unfortunately, it seems like a trial and error issue so please don't drive yourself nuts trying to find the issue (I know I would!)
Yeah I’m sure I could easily fall down a rabbit hole trying to figure it out. Fortunately it’s so quiet at my normal listening position that I could let it go. I’ll try a few more things to see.

Yeah I’m sure I could easily fall down a rabbit hole trying to figure it out. Fortunately it’s so quiet at my normal listening position that I could let it go. I’ll try a few more things to see.
I chased a low level hum. The AudioQuest ground wire killed it. But I didn’t end up grounding to my Sutherland. I grounded to my amp. You might want to experiment where you attach your ground wire.

20/20 for sale on US Audio Mart:

20/20 for sale on US Audio Mart:

Does anybody know what the difference is between the mk1 and mk2 20/20?

I chased a low level hum. The AudioQuest ground wire killed it. But I didn’t end up grounding to my Sutherland. I grounded to my amp. You might want to experiment where you attach your ground wire.
I get it that the Audioquest grounding wire worked for you, but don’t get me started on audiophile grounding wires! My grounding wire is a solid core, 22 gauge “hook-up” wire that might cost a few pennies for a meter length.

Curiously, my Insight is dead quiet compared to my recently acquired Bryston BP1.5 which has a hum when in the same spot with the same wiring. The Bryston had to go to Canada for a look over, as I could never get rid of the hum.

Back