Sutherland Club House

I get it that the Audioquest grounding wire worked for you, but don’t get me started on audiophile grounding wires! My grounding wire is a solid core, 22 gauge “hook-up” wire that might cost a few pennies for a meter length.

Curiously, my Insight is dead quiet compared to my recently acquired Bryston BP1.5 which has a hum when in the same spot with the same wiring. The Bryston had to go to Canada for a look over, as I could never get rid of the hum.
I get it. It’s a ground wire. It shouldn’t make a bit of difference, but in this case, it did. Do I think it will make a difference for everyone? Absolutely not.

Does anybody know what the difference is between the mk1 and mk2 20/20?
I can’t remember exactly but I think one of the changes was going to be RCA placement. I think they moved them slightly closer together to make cable mgmt a little easier. I do recall reading that zero parts were changed. Just a few tiny updates to accommodate some customer feedback.

I can’t remember exactly but I think one of the changes was going to be RCA placement. I think they moved them slightly closer together to make cable mgmt a little easier. I do recall reading that zero parts were changed. Just a few tiny updates to accommodate some customer feedback.
Changes outlined here.

basically:

1) small updates to the board graphics to accommodate a mirrored layout, placing input jacks toward the center of the unit, rather than the MK I, which used two identical boards and thus had an unintuitive output/input/output/input plug arrangement

2) slightly smaller grounding screw to accommodate more grounding wires

3) obvious graphics on the board to show where the power plugs go

3) switch from polystyrene capacitors to polypropylene capacitors due to supply issues with the former

Very, very little, in other words.

Last edited:
Battery change day. Never my proudest moment as someone who cares about the environment. There's still some juice left in these so they'll get used in my kids toys before going to be recycled.

Last changed June 2020 and I listen almost daily for an hour so that's pretty decent mileage.

View attachment 131889
First time I had seen a Ph3D in the Clubhouse; I was tickled! Any others out there? It should sound a lot like the Insight.

I'm selling my Sutherland 20/20 mk2 for 1100.00 shipped I will be listing it here with pics and on another site late this week but wanted to throw it out here first.

Also the Studio Deck with the ART 9XI installed. It will include the Mofi Heavy Weight, and the Audio-technica riser in original box for 1200.00 shipped to the upper 48. For 1700.00 I throw in the other ART 9 original that I have.

.... long story shifting my listening setup with some changing priorities and decided the vinyl set up is the thing I can live without most at the moment.

If there was a buyer for my Insight I'd take the 20/20, but I'd be looking for the same price on the Insight.............somebody really needs to jump on that 20/20 at that price.
I’m saving my pennies for the TZ Vibe at $1400 MSRP. But, oh, the temptation!

I’m saving my pennies for the TZ Vibe at $1400 MSRP. But, oh, the temptation!
The TZ is an interesting configuration, but having the Insight and saving my pennies, I think I would creep up to the 20/20 or DUO, no? I also get sticking with MC carts, but wouldn't you want the flexibility just in case? Just my opinion of course ;)

The TZ is an interesting configuration, but having the Insight and saving my pennies, I think I would creep up to the 20/20 or DUO, no? I also get sticking with MC carts, but wouldn't you want the flexibility just in case? Just my opinion of course ;)
After getting the Hana SL, I can’t see going back to a MM again on this turntable. I still have the PLX1000 for MM cartridges, with a separate phono. Ron talked a bit about the TZ Vibe on the phone a couple of weeks ago. He seems convinced that transimpedance amplification can be a game changer for MC cartridges; it’s a speciaized approach. Ron is not one for hyperbole and I’d like to give it a go.

Besides, who said I was giving up the Insight? 😉

Back