Sutherland Club House

I don't know if this counts as a thing or not. I just bought a used Insight from The Music Room (I pushed the button 3 minutes ago). If you wonder why that might count, check the system in my sig.

Congrats!!

I think you should still hear an improvement. Also it'll certainly keep up with any system changes in the future.

Congrats!!

I think you should still hear an improvement. Also it'll certainly keep up with any system changes in the future.
Integrated Pluto to Sutherland? I sure hope I hear something! I think this is the second-most-expensive piece in my system after the cans. I'll be sure to give impressions once I get it. Considering it's part of @HiFi Guy's endgame system, I expect it will last me through several upgrades.

My thing just arrived today, along with another thing that arrived way faster than expected: a Grado GS3000e.

I love how quiet the Insight is. I was blown away by the complete lack of surface noise on the first record I spun. I'm currently listening to A Night At The Opera, which is one of my noisier records. I can now only hear its noise between tracks.

Time to update the sig.

So much for liking what I have like my first post in this thread. I'm glad I broke down and upgraded. I'm amazed at how quiet the Insight is. Several records gave the impression that the artists performed in a pitch-black void (or maybe a studio 😁).
I just gave it my ultimate challenge of a record I was legit thinking of throwing away. It wasn't perfect. It still lightly fuzzed a bit once per revolution, but I could easily ignore that and enjoy the music. I couldn't do that with the Pluto.
I'll keep this. It took away my digital collection's biggest sonic advantage. It even did a decent job of polishing a couple turds!
As for the other thing I did, I'm still on the fence. The Grado sounds amazing, but so does the Sennheiser. No final answer there.

I have one question about my setup. I heard that some integrated preamps should be totally removed when their owners upgrade to a separate. Does this apply to the U-turn, or is it enough just to turn the Pluto off?

Last edited:
I have one question about my setup. I heard that some integrated preamps should be totally removed when their owners upgrade to a separate. Does this apply to the U-turn, or is it enough just to turn the Pluto off?
I believe the UTurn design does a true bypass if I recall correctly. Assuming that is the case, you do not need to make any further modifications.

I believe the UTurn design does a true bypass if I recall correctly. Assuming that is the case, you do not need to make any further modifications.

That’s my recollection too. I think the only one that I know of that’s enough of a piece of junk to still colour the sound when turned off is the lp120!

That’s my recollection too. I think the only one that I know of that’s enough of a piece of junk to still colour the sound when turned off is the lp120!
Thank you both for setting my mind at ease. I guess all that's left for now is to enjoy it (and let my bank account recover)!

New model Little Loco getting a lot of love and some pretty bold statements: Sutherland Engineering Little Loco phono preamplifier

My experience with the Little Loco convinced me that it wouldn't be hard to find a reasonably priced cartridge that sounded beyond incredible with it: I just tried what I had in my closet, and most of them worked beautifully—good enough to stop shopping then and there. The combination of the Little Loco and the $500 AT-OC9ML/II sounded as good as a $20,000 combination of my experience, in nearly every way—and better in some. With the $1600 Benz Micro SL, the Little Loco did things I've never heard my system do before.

For my money, the Little Loco is the best way to spend $3800 on an audio system with an analog source.

I get to join this club for a bit! An amazing coworker heard I was interested in Sutherland and coincidentally had a ph3d sitting in his basement that he no longer uses since his upgrade to a tube pre amp.

He wanted to sell it but no one really knows about Sutherland here so it's just been sitting around and I can keep it for as long as I want to explore the sound and see if I want to pick up a KC vibe eventually. Really awesome since I've read a lot but it's very difficult to find these here to see what they sound like.

Does anyone know about the ph3d. I assume it's a legacy product but it probably still sounds good.

I get to join this club for a bit! An amazing coworker heard I was interested in Sutherland and coincidentally had a ph3d sitting in his basement that he no longer uses since his upgrade to a tube pre amp.

He wanted to sell it but no one really knows about Sutherland here so it's just been sitting around and I can keep it for as long as I want to explore the sound and see if I want to pick up a KC vibe eventually. Really awesome since I've read a lot but it's very difficult to find these here to see what they sound like.

Does anyone know about the ph3d. I assume it's a legacy product but it probably still sounds good.

Oh, the PH3D is battery-powered! I read about this model. This was Sutherland's thing for a while. I believe it was quite well reviewed.

Back