Sutherland Club House

New member looking to upgrade my phono preamp. I only expect to be using MM cartridges and it seems Sutherland only offers combo MM/MC units? Everything I read really likes the Sutherland products. Is it worth the money for say an Insight if I only use MM?
Setup is a Technics SL-1210GAE with an Ortofon 2M Black feeding into my do-it-all Denon 8500 receiver. Currently using an Emotiva phono preamp.
Thanks!
I started with an Insight and eventually upgraded to the 20/20. I was very happy with the Insight and would probably still have it if I didn’t get such a great deal on the 20/20.

New member looking to upgrade my phono preamp. I only expect to be using MM cartridges and it seems Sutherland only offers combo MM/MC units? Everything I read really likes the Sutherland products. Is it worth the money for say an Insight if I only use MM?
Setup is a Technics SL-1210GAE with an Ortofon 2M Black feeding into my do-it-all Denon 8500 receiver. Currently using an Emotiva phono preamp.
Thanks!
100%
I'm a big believer that most people don't put enough focus on their phonostage. When I still had a 2M Blue, I went from an internal phonostage on my integrated amp, to the iphono 2, to the Sutherland 20/20. Each of those phonostage upgrades made a significant difference in my system. Even if you have a very high output cart, the quality of phonostage will make an impact on your sound.

Thank you all!
Any of you have experience with the Insight with the optional power supply - LPS I believe it is referred to? Worth the upgrade?

Thank you all!
Any of you have experience with the Insight with the optional power supply - LPS I believe it is referred to? Worth the upgrade?
Last I checked it is a manual upgrade. I spoke to a dealer who had done an upgrade on his personal Insight and, while successful, he thought it was much harder than Ron Sutherland made it out to be. If you’re so inclined, I think the LPS might be a bigger upgrade than going from the Insight to the 20/20.

I have seen listings where i can order the Insight standard or with the LPS option for an additional 350 I believe it is. Would consider it if there is any actual evidence of a benefit. Not sure if my old ears could tell the difference!

I have seen listings where i can order the Insight standard or with the LPS option for an additional 350 I believe it is. Would consider it if there is any actual evidence of a benefit. Not sure if my old ears could tell the difference!
You won’t be able to tell the difference as you won’t have both versions side by side to compare. The standard version is excellent.

Sutherland Insight alert!

Hi, I'm displayname and I'm addicted to gear upgrades.

I need to confess to a group that understands, I'm losing focus and being tempted by gear that shouldn't be a priority. I saw a 20/20 LPS on sale for almost half off new. It's on my long term upgrade list, but I have other things I need to focus on. Rearranging my listening room, getting bass traps, saving for a new cartridge. I'm getting very close to being ready to pull the trigger on the traps once the room is in order, but the temptation of the LPS calls to me. Why is it so hard to turn down gear upgrades????? I know the room shuffle will make a big difference, and the bass traps will hopefully have a nice impact too. But then... that little box a clean stable toroidal power exists. The addiction is real.

Thank you for listening.

I need to confess to a group that understands, I'm losing focus and being tempted by gear that shouldn't be a priority. I saw a 20/20 LPS on sale for almost half off new. It's on my long term upgrade list, but I have other things I need to focus on. Rearranging my listening room, getting bass traps, saving for a new cartridge. I'm getting very close to being ready to pull the trigger on the traps once the room is in order, but the temptation of the LPS calls to me. Why is it so hard to turn down gear upgrades????? I know the room shuffle will make a big difference, and the bass traps will hopefully have a nice impact too. But then... that little box a clean stable toroidal power exists. The addiction is real.

Thank you for listening.
Sorry. I'm late on the reply... I was buying gear I don't need right now. You can make it. You're almost there.

I will say that LPS looks great though....

Thank you for listening.
I feel you.. I just bought vintage table #2 for no real reason.. and I stopped by my dealer and got light headed looking at his Luxman PD-171.. now trying to figure out how to swing that.. you only live once..

Last edited:

Thank you for listening.
I know the feeling too. After a recent discussion inspired by a YouTube video I found, I saw a bare Garrard 401 on Ebay. I found myself thinking, "how hard can it be to make a plinth for this? It's just plywood and glue!"

I think we've all come down with the sickness!

Thank you for listening.
It's a real thing and a hard thing to get passed. I found myself more so looking at upgrading the second rig, I occasionally get the itch to try something new on the main rig, but I've been drawing hard lines in the sand for myself. There are no logical reasons for any moves at this point beyond experimentation, which we all know can get expensive. I've learned enough, I've found sound that I like from both rigs delivering from different types of components. I don't want to be chasing blindly just because I have the funds to do so, money better spent on the source material at this point.

I will admit my only temptation at this point is a SOL, it really peaked my interest, but "luckily" it isn't available at the moment.

I would recommend some real soul searching and serious convo's with yourself and go from there. There is nothing wrong with upgrades and or trying new things, but when you start to feel it's become a bit of a addiction, it's time to acknowledge it ;)

It’s here! I know it will open up with a few hours on them, but for now I have a lot more bass, but the sound is somewhat more muddied? I feel I have less overall clarity. I kept the factory settings, is it something I should modify?
Pics for @AnthonyI
20912146-EB8A-40F6-A914-25A8D189B9C2.jpegD268F6B9-44A6-40AC-AE17-A84E91E7A3BF.jpeg086D1AC3-F6C9-445A-8AEB-28CF083691CA.jpeg

Back