Sutherland Club House

Revisiting the amp / speakers upgrade topic again. Any recommendations ?

Pretty happy with my turntable (dual 505) / cart (ortofon 30m) and the Sutherland ph3d.

Would like to do the amp next and eventually new bookshelf speakers (small room). Let's say an upper end budget of 1500 for both.

How about these for a pair of bookshelves. The price is really good and the seller seems reputable

]Wharfedale Denton 85th Anniversary Speakers PAIR Bookshelf Loudspeakers Mahogany | eBay

I think there are a few people on here who have them and like them.

How about these for a pair of bookshelves. The price is really good and the seller seems reputable

]Wharfedale Denton 85th Anniversary Speakers PAIR Bookshelf Loudspeakers Mahogany | eBay

I think there are a few people on here who have them and like them.

Been reading and watching reviews on these. At least I'll know what I need to budget for. They look great...need to get out and find a dealer to demo.

Any ideas as to how they compare with the 80th anniversary? They also look great and can be had for much cheaper at the moment as I guess they're phasing them out.

Been reading and watching reviews on these. At least I'll know what I need to budget for. They look great...need to get out and find a dealer to demo.

Any ideas as to how they compare with the 80th anniversary? They also look great and can be had for much cheaper at the moment as I guess they're phasing them out.

The stuff I’ve read seems to suggest more bass extension, but also more treble in the mix as well for the 85ths because the tweeter output has been increased. I think @HiFi Guy may be the man to give you more info.

I can’t speak to the 85th anniversary but I recently got the 80th anniversary and am enjoying them so far. They are still burning in but I think they sound (and look) great for the price. I got the red mahogany ones for $400 open box from Music Direct

I can’t speak to the 85th anniversary but I recently got the 80th anniversary and am enjoying them so far. They are still burning in but I think they sound (and look) great for the price. I got the red mahogany ones for $400 open box from Music Direct

Yeah I see similar prices here.

What amp do you use by the way? Also a general question - how do you/ how long does it take to "break-in" / "burn-in" speakers?

What amp do you use by the way? Also a general question - how do you/ how long does it take to "break-in" / "burn-in" speakers?
Mine are hooked up to a Rotel RA-1570. As for speaker burn in, I have read anywhere from 20-30 hours to 100 hours but it seems different people will tell ya different things on that front!

I think someone on here just bought a pair of the 80s with a ps audio sprout 100, it had matching walnut trim. I think it was @wynn72? Maybe could give you some impressions?

It’s going to depend on the speakers, but generally figure 100 hours. The Wharfedale Lintons were 125-150 hours. The Magnepan 1.7i that I used to own were more like 300 hours as were my current Zu Souls.

I think someone on here just bought a pair of the 80s with a ps audio sprout 100, it had matching walnut trim. I think it was @wynn72? Maybe could give you some impressions?

Yep I bought those over the summer. Love them both.
But I may not be the best person to chime in on burn in. Im no audiophile and was coming from a cheap paid of Edifiers.

All I Can say is I love them, the look, sound and the simplicity of the sprout. I honestly doubt Im up to 100-150 hours yet, if it gets better from here Im pumped.

Ok I think I'm going for the Wharfedale 80s and trying to save up for them now. I like everything I've read about them, they look great. Tech specs look good as well.

Question : I'll upgrade my amp at a later time. Would I be able to run it on the vintage amp I've currently got or could I risk damaging something. The amp I have is listed at "Power output: 25 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)". I don't really blast my music if you know what I mean.

Well after running the Insight in for 3 weekends I can honestly say that it's amazing.
Every aspect is substantially better than the Pho-8, and I loved the Vinnie. Soundstage, details all just ooze from it.
I'm struggling to comprehend how much better my system can sound even with the planned upgrade of the Cambridge CXA 80 and a new cart for the Rega.
I know it's sad but it looks fucking beautiful with the CXA too. Can see how a 20/20 or Duo would go well with it too!😁
The piano on Spaces is insanely good.
Thanks for all the advice and sharing of info people. You all really help make the Man Cave world a better place!😁

Attachments

• 20201206_143717.jpg
    20201206_143717.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201206_143721.jpg
    20201206_143721.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 14
Well after running the Insight in for 3 weekends I can honestly say that it's amazing.
Every aspect is substantially better than the Pho-8, and I loved the Vinnie. Soundstage, details all just ooze from it.
I'm struggling to comprehend how much better my system can sound even with the planned upgrade of the Cambridge CXA 80 and a new cart for the Rega.
I know it's sad but it looks fucking beautiful with the CXA too. Can see how a 20/20 or Duo would go well with it too!😁
The piano on Spaces is insanely good.
Thanks for all the advice and sharing of info people. You all really help make the Man Cave world a better place!😁
What cartridges are you considering?

What cartridges are you considering?
I keep fluctuating Sir.
One minute I'm thinking of going to MC and the Ania, the next its a Nagaoka MP200 or 300 (That Youtube dude makes me want one!).
Rowan, on here recommended the AT VM740, that seems to get good reviews.
I'll try get out to a local store where I got my TT and Exact and see what they recommend.
I just read the Grados are out. Bloody shame they are no good with Regas.
What did you have on your old P3?

I keep fluctuating Sir.
One minute I'm thinking of going to MC and the Ania, the next its a Nagaoka MP200 or 300 (That Youtube dude makes me want one!).
Rowan, on here recommended the AT VM740, that seems to get good reviews.
I'll try get out to a local store where I got my TT and Exact and see what they recommend.
I just read the Grados are out. Bloody shame they are no good with Regas.
What did you have on your old P3?

There is now a device that allows Grados to be used on Regas:

When I had my P3 I had an Audio Technica AT-OC9/MLII moving coil. It was brilliant! It’s been discontinued but can be had from an American dealer for $419.

When I had my P3 I had an Audio Technica AT-OC9/MLII moving coil. It was brilliant! It’s been discontinued but can be had from an American dealer for $419.

The Audio Technica could be a bargain at that price. Would rock in at approx £310 before shipping. Ania would cost almost £200 more.
What can I expect from the cart? Please remember that the Exact is the only thing I've known in my grown up record spinning life! Haha!

It’d be a 4mm shim you’d need for the Grado too right? Does make things a bit more interesting for Rega users!

@Mrjay07 That A/T is a fantastic cartridge. I’ve seriously considered buying another. It tracks like a beast. Zero inner groove distortion. Very balanced top to bottom. Clean and tight. Bass is slightly punchy.

I’ve owned an Exact and really don’t get it. It’s ok, but not worth anywhere near the $595 dealers here charge for it. The OC9 is worlds better in every respect. You’ll hear the improvement. It’s obvious. Set your Insight to 100 ohms loading and 60 dB gain.

Back