Sutherland Club House

Everything was different, but I actually didn’t have it connected to a turntable, it was connected to my laptop via an inverse RIAA filter. I brought it an hour or so north to Fidelis on Saturday so they could check it out. Have you ever brought your car to a mechanic because it was making a weird noise and when the mechanic takes it for a spin they don’t hear anything? Well, yeah. They hooked it up to a nearby system, dropped the needle aaaaand... sound from both channels.

As I said, the only constant when I hooked it up the second time was the 20/20. Interconnects, source, power supply, and output; I got the same results. I’m listening to it now and it’s all good.
My dad had a similar problem with a Kaypro 4 back in the day. It crapped out, he took it to the shop where it worked fine. A week later, it broke again. After several iterations, he asked the shop to keep it for a couple weeks. They found a cold solder joint.

My dad had a similar problem with a Kaypro 4 back in the day. It crapped out, he took it to the shop where it worked fine. A week later, it broke again. After several iterations, he asked the shop to keep it for a couple weeks. They found a cold solder joint.
The only thing I could come up with is that the ride in the trunk shifted something just enough that it started working again. That felt like I was reaching, but I have no other explanation at the moment.

The only thing I could come up with is that the ride in the trunk shifted something just enough that it started working again. That felt like I was reaching, but I have no other explanation at the moment.
My dad figured that's exactly what happened to his computer. Maybe the vibration scraped off just enough corrosion to fix the circuit, or maybe it knocked a lead back into contact with its connection. I don't know for sure.

The first “bad” review of a Sutherland product I’ve seen.

Is VAT still 20% or did you get a COVID reduction too? I’ve not been able to get home since last Christmas with everything that’s been going off!
So it’ll be whatever the VAT % is of the item and postage costs. Then as the item is between £135 and £630 it will be customs duty of 2.5% on same total.
Then the handling fee is £8 for Royal Mail but some of the couriers can charge a decent amount more than that

Edit: It will still be likely cheaper than the only European seller I’ve found with them at €1100ish but I’d be most worried about a US model working on our electrical system. If it does and they’ll send it you’re likely on for a better deal than new from over here.
Well, the Package has arrived and I've managed to dodge the VAT and customs charges!😁
Well worth paying for priority delivery. From buying Wednesday night it was delivered to a neighbour Monday morning! Really impressed!
Just need to get home & unpack, set up and let the good times roll!
Massive shout out to The Music Room.

Now, what to spin first...Beck...Bowie...?🤔😁

Well, the Package has arrived and I've managed to dodge the VAT and customs charges!😁
Well worth paying for priority delivery. From buying Wednesday night it was delivered to a neighbour Monday morning! Really impressed!

That’s brilliant! I had noticed a few things had slipped through the net with Royal Mail at home and An Post over here since covid. I’m guessing the increased volume of parcels means they don’t have the manpower to do as rigorous checking! Win for you! Enjoy the new phono!

Remember you’ll need a power cable with a UK wall plug.

I like that too. If I’ve learned anything from the past ten years, it’s that next time I buy stereo furniture that goddamn turntable is going to be higher than just-above-knee-level. I’m too old for this hunched over bullshit.
Thanks. Certainly make life easier having it up on the wall! 😁

I like that too. If I’ve learned anything from the past ten years, it’s that next time I buy stereo furniture that goddamn turntable is going to be higher than just-above-knee-level. I’m too old for this hunched over bullshit.
Um, should I find a way to get mine off the floor?

2nd weekend of playing with the Insight.
I have to say that it's sounding better the more I throw at it.
The main thing I've noticed from the Pho-8 is that it sounds like there's a couple of layers taken off my system.
Music sounds more clear, better depth. Soundstage has grown a bit more.
I do feel like the Exact cartridge and the Cambridge CXA 80 are now holding my system back. The cartridge will be going soon. Followed next year by the amp. Moon 240i or 340i high up on my want list.
Until then, I'll chuck my records at it & enjoy the hell out of it!!

What's everyone using in terms of the next in line device, i.e. amp? Any recommendations for what pairs well with this phonostage?

You shouldn’t have a problem pairing a Sutherland with most anything. Some us are using tube amps, some solid state.

Revisiting the amp / speakers upgrade topic again. Any recommendations ?

Pretty happy with my turntable (dual 505) / cart (ortofon 30m) and the Sutherland ph3d.

Would like to do the amp next and eventually new bookshelf speakers (small room). Let's say an upper end budget of 1500 for both.

Back