STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

the cut from bix screaming to the screaming of the drill in the prison was just *chef's kiss*

this show has been nothing less than great. and if it is true it is the least watched d+ star wars content (which, to be fair, i can't imagine boatloads of kids are watching this like they might the other shows, so...), then i really hope the largely positive critical reception it is receiving is enough to keep shows like this in the pipeline.

It's strange, but I think people might be just burnt out, as I've heard nothing but praise about Andor from everyone I know who has seen it. But I haven't started it yet, can't be arsed.
Did you like Rogue One? You gotta watch, it's exactly NOTHING like any of the other series. It's one of the best Star Wars "things" I've ever seen. And I am super picky with this stuff.

Did you like Rogue One? You gotta watch, it's exactly NOTHING like any of the other series. It's one of the best Star Wars "things" I've ever seen. And I am super picky with this stuff.
I did! I'm just tired of the pre-stuff, I guess. I like The Mandalorian because most of that story is adjacent and not preparatory.

It's my third favorite "thing" after the original two films, knocking Return of the Jedi to fourth.

I think the issue was it dropped around the same time as Rings of Power and HotD and kinda got lost in all the "fantasy" programming. I really hope people go back and watch as it's fantastic.

It's my third favorite "thing" after the original two films, knocking Return of the Jedi to fourth.

I think the issue was it dropped around the same time as Rings of Power and HotD and kinda got lost in all the "fantasy" programming. I really hope people go back and watch as it's fantastic.
Totally agree. Although Rogue One is still in front of Jedi for me.

I hear Andor is the least watched Disney+ Star Wars thing.

And then I look at how they're advertising it to me:

View attachment 156217

I think it'll hold together really well as a whole and will have long legs after it airs in full, but there's got to be a different image you could pick to draw a person in.

You know, come to think of it, this image has the one thing in Andor that's pandering the most to fans that want that Star Wars fan service. So in a way, it's a brilliant piece of advertising to reach those fans.

blue milk

so nobody’s gonna help Kino get to shore? Grab a stretcher and tow him in?

Honestly, the show’s deliberate enough that I’m sure we’ll see him again.

Reactions: Jan
When the final two season 1 episodes finish up I'm damn well going back and binging the entire season again. This is the best written, most mature Star Wars property ever put to film. Tough to unseed the first two films simply because they created the universe. But the depth of the storytelling and the writing on this show absolutely crushes anything that came before it. Tony Gilroy for president.

Last edited:
When the final two season 1 episodes finish up I'm damn well going back and binging the entire season again. This is the best written, most mature Star Wars property ever put to film. Tough to unseed the first two films simply because they created the universe. But the depth of the storytelling and the writing on this show absolutely crush anything that came before it. Tony Gilroy for president.
It is so great. I'm not sure if you listen to the Watch but they have an interview with Tony this week.

so nobody’s gonna help Kino get to shore? Grab a stretcher and tow him in?

Honestly, the show’s deliberate enough that I’m sure we’ll see him again.
Exactly what I thought

I’m enjoying Andor , the nazi echoes of the empire work very well....

But ....it’s a tad slow ..

Sorry 😐
Sounds like a positive thing to me. So many shows (and movies) try to compress a bunch of stuff into a small amount of time either relying on exposition or not even really caring about development or world building. I like my stories to be long form, drawn out. But I'm an escapist, I want to be immersed.

But I also tend to wait until things are done or mostly done and binge them all at once, so that may be why "slow" stories don't bother me.

Sounds like a positive thing to me. So many shows (and movies) try to compress a bunch of stuff into a small amount of time either relying on exposition or not even really caring about development or world building. I like my stories to be long form, drawn out. But I'm an escapist, I want to be immersed.

But I also tend to wait until things are done or mostly done and binge them all at once, so that may be why "slow" stories don't bother me.

Do you think? I’ve found of late, probably more in movies than in tv, that LoTR created a trend back towards the epic and that there are a lot of films I’ve seen that’d be a hell of a lot better with a more enthusiastic edit. I don’t necessarily think that you need to be long or slow to build worlds or detail, you need to be good and far too many filmmakers feel the need to tell us things in great detail that could be just be shown.

Last edited:
Do you think? I’ve found of late, probably more in movies than in films, that LoTR created a trend back towards the epic and that there are a lot of films I’ve seen that’d be a hell of a lot better with a more enthusiastic edit. I don’t necessarily think that you need to be long or slow to build worlds or detail, you need to be good and far too many filmmakers feel the need to tell us things in great detail that could be just be shown.
There's obviously a difference between a long form story that's bad and unnecessary (The Hobbit films for instance) versus a long form story where the time spent is worth it and, if anything, you want more time in the world. You mentioned telling things that should just be shown and I very much agree, exposition is one of my least favourite things in movies. But I want to be shown and given the chance to process it, not just shown a series of images and expected to feel anything about them. I think a good example of this sort of story telling (and many people disagree with me on this, which is totally fine) is the movie Bright, with Will Smith. I really enjoyed that movie and the way they told that story. Thrusting us into a world without too much explanation and showing us parts of it. But to that point, I wanted to see more, I want other stories in that world and because it didn't do well, I'm not going to get that and it bums me out.

I feel like a lot of shows specifically are trying to tell a lot of story in a short amount of time, as they don't know if they'll even get more than one season, but in doing so they weaken that which would normally create a rabid fan-base. It's the difference, to me, between reading a serial comic in the newspaper and reading a graphic novel. Yeah, people like Cathy or whatever, but it's not the same as The Sandman or even Scott Pilgrim.

The last Star Wars trilogy is divisive, I know. I'm not a fan, but my main complaint was the lack of focus and the apparent need to fill them with all these characters and story lines, some which literally went nowhere and people who meant nothing. It was all happening so rapidly and you're not given time to care or even sometimes react to what's going on. There was no weight to what was happening, it was just a series of events that happened over the course of what felt like a week or two.

Back