STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

I believe it's widely acknowledged that he helmed the reshoots and much of the third act (ie the best part of the movie) is his work.

Yeah, I mean it was well known in the Hollywood rags, but Disney was pretty mum about it and kept Gilroy away from the press junket. I though the hiring of Gilroy to continue the R1 story (which is totally unneeded IMO, but I know some feel like it is) was pretty much their silent admission that they want Edwards away from SW.

Yeah, I mean it was well known in the Hollywood rags, but Disney was pretty mum about it and kept Gilroy away from the press junket. I though the hiring of Gilroy to continue the R1 story (which is totally unneeded IMO, but I know some feel like it is) was pretty much their silent admission that they want Edwards away from SW.

I actually didn't realize Gilroy had been hired to work on the Cassian Andor series.

Pretty heavy hitter.

Wife and I are still watching all the movies in chronological order. Since my last post we've watched Rogue One, Solo, A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Still having a lot of fun. Here's a few quick thoughts on each.

Rogue One - Never understood all the hate on this one. I guess I'm just easy to please. The return of practical effects was probably my favorite part. Also the Vader scene at the end, including that one liner. To me, that little joke shows he never 100% went to the dark side.

Solo - The only film here that I watched for the first time. I see why people criticized it, but again I'm easy to please and had a lot of fun with it. Some of the character interactions could have been better, but I liked seeing a lot of the things referenced in the original trilogy, especially the Kessel Run. I really liked how they showed parsec was being used correctly as a measure of distance, not time.

A New Hope - Not much to say here that hasn't been said. I do feel like everyone gives Anakin in the Prequels a hard time for being really whiny, when Luke is exactly the same, if not more whiny at times. On that note, one thing I've come across re-watching the series is my appreciation for the connection between the OT and the Prequels. I notice little things in both that I overlooked in previous viewings.

Empire Strikes Back - Same as A New Hope, Luke's still whiny as hell, but I love it anyways. The biggest takeaway this time was the Yoda scenes. In previous viewings of this one after the prequels came out, Yoda always came off as very crude and jarring due to the CGI versions. Watching this time, my dumb brain finally put 2 and 2 together, and realized this works perfectly. Yoda was much more reserved and calm in the prequels, and rightfully so. Yeah things were troubling, but you never fully see the ramifications of Anakins actions in Episode 3. When he goes into hiding, it feels like he's still trying to process what's happened. Cut to Episode 5, and you see someone who has had to sit on that information for 20 ish years processing it. You see no other creatures he would have been able to talk to, so this is someone who has gone completely bonkers, suddenly getting filled with, *ahem, a new hope, and his reaction seems appropriate. While he wants to help, he has even more reservation than he did with Anakin.

Dave Filoni’s interview responses Seem to let them selves to the idea that Ashoka Tano is still alive at the time of Rise of Skywalker even though we hear her voice in the climactic scene where we hear voices of the past Jedi reach out to Rey.

Taika feels like an obvious/safe choice, but the most exciting and reckless of obvious/safe choices. All I've ever wanted is for whomever directs to do "their" Star Wars, and he's probably one of the few people Disney will allow to do just that.

Taika feels like an obvious/safe choice, but the most exciting and reckless of obvious/safe choices. All I've ever wanted is for whomever directs to do "their" Star Wars, and he's probably one of the few people Disney will allow to do just that.
Agreed, his episode of the Mandalorian was probably the best of the season, by a fair bit... Even though tonely it didn't really fit with any of the other episodes, but I'm more than happy to give him a shot, it'll at least be fun to watch.

Side note, I thought Rise of Skywalker was the worst thing I'd watched this year, then I watched the Westworld Season 3 finale. WE HAVE A NEW WINNER FOLKS
I havent seen RoS yet, but I'll be shocked if it's worse than Westworld S3.

Side note, I thought Rise of Skywalker was the worst thing I'd watched this year, then I watched the Westworld Season 3 finale. WE HAVE A NEW WINNER FOLKS
I actually like Westworld Season 3 because the whole futuristic cityscape setting is my thing. However.....

The whole Delores was trying to save humanity instead of destroy it really made me cringe.

I havent seen RoS yet, but I'll be shocked if it's worse than Westworld S3.
Hold on to your butt.

I actually like Westworld Season 3 because the whole futuristic cityscape setting is my thing. However.....
Oh it LOOKED pretty, for sure. But damned if they didn't pretty much drop the ball on every single plot point they'd been supposedly developing for two seasons.

Hold on to your butt.

Oh it LOOKED pretty, for sure. But damned if they didn't pretty much drop the ball on every single plot point they'd been supposedly developing for two seasons.
I'm still trying to figure out how the whole slaughter in the park that made Season 2 so uncomfortable to watch for into this latest plot twist.

Hold on to your butt.

Theyve been developing plot points?

At least Star Wars has characters I like

Back