STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

Three police officers of Lethbridge, Canada are under investigation after pulling their guns on a woman wearing a stormtrooper costume, complete with a plastic blaster.

According to CTV News, the 19-year-old woman -- identified as Ashley -- was wearing the costume in the course of her work as an employee of Coco Vanilla Galactic Cantina, a Star Wars-themed restaurant that had opened right before the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. The restaurant was promoting its special May the 4th drive-by and takeaway menus with a dancing stormtrooper.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Season 1 of Rebels is a bit of a trudge but season 2 and beyond are incredible.

I'm making my way through Rebels for the first time and so far am really enjoying it. A good mix of tie ins to the original trilogy as well as call backs to The Clone Wars. Just finished season 3 and the 2 part finale is some of the best Star Wars there is.

So you guys are busy with other things, but the Mandalorian season2 was off to a great start. Feels very old school star wars with all the western elements.
And we get Timothy Olyphant and the return of Boba Fett who seems to be alive and disgruntled

So you guys are busy with other things, but the Mandalorian season2 was off to a great start. Feels very old school star wars with all the western elements.
And we get Timothy Olyphant and the return of Boba Fett who seems to be alive and disgruntled
I'm hoping they switcharoo us and that wasn't actually Fett, but Rex a Trooper from the cartoons. As they've added a lot of cartoon stuff and Boba Fett is overrated

I'm hoping they switcharoo us and that wasn't actually Fett, but Rex a Trooper from the cartoons. As they've added a lot of cartoon stuff and Boba Fett is overrated
I'm 100% not interested in knowing Boba Fett's fate; all of his power lies in the mystery and lack of screen time/dialogue. I'm far, far more interested in the story of the small-town marshal who found the armor.

Overall I'm feeling optimistic about this season, after feeling just-lukewarm on the first. I do think the action is a little perfunctory (you know they're gonna slay the dragon, also what was the deal with that dude near the beginning who punches Mando's armor, grabs his hand in pain, then goes in to punch his armor another friggin time?), but it seems like they're more assured about what kind of character Mando is. I said it last season, and I think they're leaning into it, but my scene-to-scene interest in the show lies in who or what Mando or the Kid are interacting with, and not in those characters themselves, as they're basically blank archetypes. The way the premiere was more about Olyphant's story makes me think they're figuring out that trick.

Boba Fett is overrated
False, they just ruined him by tying him into the prequel mythology and saddling him with baggage the character doesn't need.
I'm 100% not interested in knowing Boba Fett's fate; all of his power lies in the mystery and lack of screen time/dialogue. I'm far, far more interested in the story of the small-town marshal who found the armor.
True.

I'm still sticking with this as my primary criticism of Mandalorian.
If I have one criticism of it, it's that some of the characters are a little too recognizably Earth-human, like from our Earth, even some of the non-human ones. Like in the movies most of the characters are relatably human, but there's a suspension of disbelief that they really come from different worlds and alien contexts. But some of the show's characters (the bounty from the opening of the first episode, Cara Dune, a guest spot from *checks notes* Pillboi, to name a few) just don't have that quality. It's hard for me to put my finger on exactly what it is -- maybe a limitation of the format, maybe the actors themselves, maybe the script -- but there are moments here and there where it feels like "Why are we doing jokes about peeing in space toilets?" It's not the content itself, but the delivery that sometimes feels a little less...I don't know, heightened? than it should.
Whether it's Amy Sedaris providing exposition or W. Earl Brown tending bar, there's something a little too "THIS WEEK'S SPECIAL GUEST STAR IS ____ AND THIS WEEK THEY'RE BRINGING THEIR ACT TO TATTOOINE!" for my taste. This ain't The Love Boat, I don't want to have my brain vaguely tickled for 45 minutes until the credits roll and I realize that one guy was, for some reason, voiced by John Leguizamo.

I'm still sticking with this as my primary criticism of Mandalorian.

Whether it's Amy Sedaris providing exposition or W. Earl Brown tending bar, there's something a little too "THIS WEEK'S SPECIAL GUEST STAR IS ____ AND THIS WEEK THEY'RE BRINGING THEIR ACT TO TATTOOINE!" for my taste. This ain't The Love Boat, I don't want to have my brain vaguely tickled for 45 minutes until the credits roll and I realize that one guy was, for some reason, voiced by John Leguizamo.
I'd say overall the dialogue/script lacks character. It's in the same vein I find Marvel movies to be in, where sure there are some quips and jokes, but a lot of the actual script feels more like placeholder text, like they wrote "we've got visitors", meant to go back and add something a bit more snappy or character-specific, and forgot. It's like they put W Earl Brown behind the bar and instead of giving him some business like polishing glasses or whatever, he's just standing there with his hands on the bar. I mean, the big catchphrase of the show is "this is the way," which barely means anything.

I do kind of like the throwback nature of the cameos; these days a guest star on a show usually gets a multi-episode arc, so I kinda like a garish dollop of stunt casting. But I agree, it'd be great if you saw Johnny Legs's cameo and actually felt there was some purpose in casting him other than "we like him and he likes Star Wars."

I'd say overall the dialogue/script lacks character. It's in the same vein I find Marvel movies to be in, where sure there are some quips and jokes, but a lot of the actual script feels more like placeholder text, like they wrote "we've got visitors", meant to go back and add something a bit more snappy or character-specific, and forgot. It's like they put W Earl Brown behind the bar and instead of giving him some business like polishing glasses or whatever, he's just standing there with his hands on the bar. I mean, the big catchphrase of the show is "this is the way," which barely means anything.
Apparently Brown said in an interview that it was filmed before the first episode had aired, and he wasn't even told that baby Yoda was a thing. He was told you're an alien, you're a bartender, he's a Mandalorian. "And, action!" So your impression of it kinda tracks.
I do kind of like the throwback nature of the cameos; these days a guest star on a show usually gets a multi-episode arc, so I kinda like a garish dollop of stunt casting. But I agree, it'd be great if you saw Johnny Legs's cameo and actually felt there was some purpose in casting him other than "we like him and he likes Star Wars."
Yeah, the idea of it is sorta fun, but the sheer number of them is jarring. It would be cool if it were a case of, like, yeah we cast a lot of famous people and you never know who is going to live or die based on their fame level alone, so that the stakes always seem high...but it isn't that, either.

Back