STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

Truly this is the darkest timeline. View attachment 27555

Thanks for sharing this. I really fear I was misunderstood earlier with the petty back and forth. It breaks my heart to see what should be non-controversial elements of these films like the race and gender of characters weaponized by the MAGA right to fit their agenda.

Some of my objections to this new film are shared with the author of this piece, as I fear it seemingly bows to this crap which based on the article wasn't even held by many real fans. #RoseTicoDeservedBetter is currently trending on Twitter, and that remains my number one complaint with the treatment of the characters in this film. Again I can't knock anyone for enjoying this and I do overall, but I do feel annoyed by how so much of the plot seems to play into the hands of angry rightwing "critics." I know a lot of folks just feel it's Star Wars and should just be enjoyed and maybe I should just try to do that, but I think it really sends a bad message for a lot of folks out there who felt seen / heard by the prior film. Just my POV, which doesn't seem to go over too well so with this I'll shut up about this movie.

Thanks for sharing this. I really fear I was misunderstood earlier with the petty back and forth. It breaks my heart to see what should be non-controversial elements of these films like the race and gender of characters weaponized by the MAGA right to fit their agenda.

Some of my objections to this new film are shared with the author of this piece, as I fear it seemingly bows to this crap which based on the article wasn't even held by many real fans. #RoseTicoDeservedBetter is currently trending on Twitter, and that remains my number one complaint with the treatment of the characters in this film. Again I can't knock anyone for enjoying this and I do overall, but I do feel annoyed by how so much of the plot seems to play into the hands of angry rightwing "critics." I know a lot of folks just feel it's Star Wars and should just be enjoyed and maybe I should just try to do that, but I think it really sends a bad message for a lot of folks out there who felt seen / heard by the prior film. Just my POV, which doesn't seem to go over too well so with this I'll shut up about this movie.

I enjoyed it. I don’t expect great cinema from Star Wars, it’s never been that. But yah, 100% my biggest complaint of the new movie is Rose. Anything else is minor plot whatever in a long film series that’s never been great at maintaining its own plot.

I enjoyed it. I don’t expect great cinema from Star Wars, it’s never been that. But yah, 100% my biggest complaint of the new movie is Rose. Anything else is minor plot whatever in a long film series that’s never been great at maintaining its own plot.

Good perspective, I think my issue was TLJ raised the bar and I got a little too excited by that. The other thing I should t have done was watch TLJ the night before TRoS lol. I’ll agree that as silly as it gets at times nothing in TRoS is unprecedented in SW beyond Rose-gate because even when Jar Jar got less screentime he got a promotion!

My entire point was related to this. I think it’s clear TLJ was flamed in a way similar to Hillary Clinton. Thus people who liked it found themselves defending it to a point where it became part of their personhood. Thus when the new movie came out and was billed as being the anthesis of TLJ, people were predisposed to hating it. You had to decide if you were a TLJ person or a RoS person. And most film critics I know are “good liberals” and thus are TLJ people. Even if their specifics complaints about it are valid, the overall criticism is a little strong.

We are at a point where what you like says something about who you are, and this is more important than the question of “is this good”

My entire point was related to this. I think it’s clear TLJ was flamed in a way similar to Hillary Clinton. Thus people who liked it found themselves defending it to a point where it became part of their personhood. Thus when the new movie came out and was billed as being the anthesis of TLJ, people were predisposed to hating it. You had to decide if you were a TLJ person or a RoS person. And most film critics I know are “good liberals” and thus are TLJ people. Even if their specifics complaints about it are valid, the overall criticism is a little strong.

We are at a point where what you like says something about who you are, and this is more important than the question of “is this good”

That seems like just as much a generalization as saying anyone who disliked TLJ did so because of racial or political reasons; I think there were people who were bothered by the movie's politics, but there are just as many who think it's simply not good.

The reception ROS is receiving is kind of relieving for me, not in the sense that I wanted it to be bad, but because the way it's been received is varied, and hopefully underlines the fact that everyone gets something different from Star Wars, and wants something different from it. There are people who like 7, but not 8 or 9. People who like 7 and 9. People who like 7 and 8. You can mix and match any three combination of those nine movies and get someone's top three. I don't see a 1:1 comparison of "If you hated Last Jedi, you'll love Rise of Skywalker," and while I feel watching RoS was like watching a franchise eat itself onscreen, I'm hoping maaaaybe the lesson from this is you can't please everyone at once, so maybe swing a little wilder because why the heck not?

My wife and I decided the other day that we were going to watch the Star War before we see the new one. We watched Episode 1, and I don't know what's happened, but I've learned to just have fun with the movies instead of being overly critical. They all do some things really well, so I've decided I'm going to be (mostly) positive this viewing, and appreciate the things they did right. I kind of felt like a kid again - I first saw it when I was 12. My daughter saved me from annoyance during my least favorite parts - the Boss Nass scenes. She kept trying to imitate what I call his "jowl movement" (see: Nixon from Futurama for reference), and it was pretty adorable (she's 2). Anyways, overall I found the whole thing enjoyable, and it made me appreciate how far CGI has come in 20 years. The droid/gungan battles on the Windows XP background are really funny to watch now. I'm looking forward to Episode 2 now, as it is my least favorite in the series. Here's hoping I have as much fun this time!

Yeah I totally misread your point, sorry. Xmas night isn't the best time to venture onto the forums.

Overall I'm with @Bull Shannon in noting not all the criticism falls into this camp. I'll concede is an undercurrent that helped to inform a lot of the initial criticism, myself partially included as a TLJ fan who groans whenever a certain type of person goes into how "useless" all the female characters are. Another thought is the massive critical SW fatigue after the onslaught of the last 5 years. I feel like The Mandalorian has gotten a good blast of it, getting pretty savaged by TV critics despite not really being bad at all? Between that and the "anti TLJ" press junket RoS was never going to get welcomed with open arms, and the quality of the film did very little to sway the doubting Thomases.

I'd like to see for the franchise's next moves be wildly different from each other to see how far the franchise can stretch. Rather than have one film try to please everyone have different stories and niches for different types of fans.

IMAX + Star Wars is a pretty great combination. Still wouldn’t say I love ROS but I don’t hate it. Had more fun this time around, and it sorta came together better on a second viewing. I could track some stuff better. So the ending was actually much cooler this time, and more emotional, with Kylo’s arc being really satisfying actually. The very last scene is still really stupid though. And in general, I still like the other two more. But eh, it’s okay. More fun than I gave it credit for before, but not as fun or interesting as the previous two.

Edit to add:

Leia’s stuff still did nothing for me. The mask/name/emperor stuff actually doesn’t bother me all that much. it’s all whatever. Sidelining Rose is weird. Rey also should have had I don’t know...a bit more of an arc in the entire trilogy, but I still like her character quite a bit. BB-8 still rules.

IMAX + Star Wars is a pretty great combination. Still wouldn’t say I love ROS but I don’t hate it. Had more fun this time around, and it sorta came together better on a second viewing. I could track some stuff better. So the ending was actually much cooler this time, and more emotional, with Kylo’s arc being really satisfying actually. The very last scene is still really stupid though. And in general, I still like the other two more. But eh, it’s okay. More fun than I gave it credit for before, but not as fun or interesting as the previous two.

Edit to add:

Leia’s stuff still did nothing for me. The mask/name/emperor stuff actually doesn’t bother me all that much. it’s all whatever. Sidelining Rose is weird. Rey also should have had I don’t know...a bit more of an arc in the entire trilogy, but I still like her character quite a bit. BB-8 still rules.

I find it kind of baffling that Ben has no dialogue for the last 45 minutes of the movie.

Finally saw ROS on Xmas eve, so now I can finally read this thread, lol...

Enjoyed it very much. I can understand the criticisms of pandering, fan-service, etc - there were only a couple of times it felt like overkill IMO, but I can see how it could bother people.

Overall, I think it fits with and parallels with how the original trilogy ended. ROTJ isn't quite on par with its two predecessors, has some dumb/lazy moments & ideas (Ewoks, Death Star 2, yub-nub song), but is still fun to watch. Similar situation with ROS, for me - I think Force Awakens and Last Jedi are the better films, but this one is perfectly complementary and not bad or significantly unsatisfying at all.

I do like how the Rey & Ben story wrapped up. I do wish we had gotten more Rose, too - hope some deleted scenes show up on the Blu-Ray.

Finally saw ROS on Xmas eve, so now I can finally read this thread, lol...

Enjoyed it very much. I can understand the criticisms of pandering, fan-service, etc - there were only a couple of times it felt like overkill IMO, but I can see how it could bother people.

Overall, I think it fits with and parallels with how the original trilogy ended. ROTJ isn't quite on par with its two predecessors, has some dumb/lazy moments & ideas (Ewoks, Death Star 2, yub-nub song), but is still fun to watch. Similar situation with ROS, for me - I think Force Awakens and Last Jedi are the better films, but this one is perfectly complementary and not bad or significantly unsatisfying at all.

I do like how the Rey & Ben story wrapped up. I do wish we had gotten more Rose, too - hope some deleted scenes show up on the Blu-Ray.

Jedi is and has always been my favorite of the originals. You wash the Ewoks name out of your mouth!

Strong finale for the Mandalorian. I feel like they have been holding out on the good stuff and are now dishing it out. Taika’s direction is very fitting

...considering the theme of this episode overlaps with his favorite themes of fatherhood and abandonment. I feel like this is also the smoothest the show has ever felt tonally and visually. Give Taika a feature to write and direct!

I like how the Mandalorian culture paid off in many ways besides scifi dressing and helped tie the plot together. In general this episode felt light on fan service and finally got out of its way to really tell a unique story.

Overall I thought the season was pretty good. I think the show is best when it’s serialized, the overarching plot is just more compelling than the Firefly / Cowboy Bebop style standalone space western episodes. Some were great but why squander the opportunity to tell a longform story. I’d love for the show to go into the foundation of the first order as it progresses which I think will smooth over a lot of the RoS reveals.

Back