STAR WARS! STAR WARS! STAR WARS

Wow, I really loved Rise of Skywalker. Easily my favorite of the trilogy! My brother and I rewatched the entire saga before seeing it today, and it was an amazing way to end. I truly don't understand the hate for it. I'm not a superfan or anything, so maybe that's why, but I couldn't be more pleased with the film.

Wow, I really loved Rise of Skywalker. Easily my favorite of the trilogy! My brother and I rewatched the entire saga before seeing it today, and it was an amazing way to end. I truly don't understand the hate for it. I'm not a superfan or anything, so maybe that's why, but I couldn't be more pleased with the film.
A certain group of people decided they hated it before they even saw it.

I don’t want to get political, but that was part of it. Unfortunately everything is part of the culture war, including Star Wars.

A certain group of people decided they hated it before they even saw it.

I don’t want to get political, but that was part of it. Unfortunately everything is part of the culture war, including Star Wars.

Yep, that's the impression I got as well! Also don't take RT scores too seriously, but its score is extremely harsh. Especially considering the last two are both 90%-ish if I recall

Critics are also part of the culture war unfortunately.

I think you might be hyperbolizing a bit as the majority of the criticism around this film was about the pacing and tone, not the cultural implications. Film critics get almost no respect from average audiences for the work they do, which is to critically analyze a film that they would very much like to enjoy. I would also point most academic film studies/theory approach is from a valid sociological POV (ie Marxist theory, feminist theory, queer theory etc) and has been for decades, which has seeped into popular criticism. Still I think you'll find most critics are really just aiming to express if they enjoyed a film and if it's worth your time.

IMO film criticism is valid and necessary for every film, but I fully understand there's films where you don't want to think about them critically at all. I will never begrudge someone for saying SW is a perfect example of those types of films, but many of us do like to be critical about them.

So watching The Last Jedi again, and yeah I still really enjoy it. Still think some of the jokes are awkward and don't work, but as a whole I enjoy pretty much everything else in it.

Heading back to Rise Of Skywalker tomorrow. This time in IMAX. Hope it'll win me over this time.

I think you might be hyperbolizing a bit as the majority of the criticism around this film was about the pacing and tone, not the cultural implications. Film critics get almost no respect from average audiences for the work they do, which is to critically analyze a film that they would very much like to enjoy. I would also point most academic film studies/theory approach is from a valid sociological POV (ie Marxist theory, feminist theory, queer theory etc) and has been for decades, which has seeped into popular criticism. Still I think you'll find most critics are really just aiming to express if they enjoyed a film and if it's worth your time.

IMO film criticism is valid and necessary for every film, but I fully understand there's films where you don't want to think about them critically at all. I will never begrudge someone for saying SW is a perfect example of those types of films, but many of us do like to be critical about them.
Yeah, I gotta say that after the first two sentences of your post, everything else you wrote only bolstered the point that Gouis was making.

OK boomer.

In reality follow a lot of film criticism and heavily engage in it. The problem is they are mostly very much “online”. So they decided they were TLJ people and what that says about them. So when rumblings came out that tRoS was anti-TLJ they had their basis set. Also I liked TLJ more but this idea that this movie is worse than any of the prequels is laughable.

Also I liked TLJ more but this idea that this movie is worse than any of the prequels is laughable.

I preferred The Last Jedi too but this was a decent film, not without its issues, that tied up the trilogy and did it’s job serviceably. I enjoyed it but can’t ever see myself lauding it.

To anyone who preferred any of the prequels. You’d rather watch endless senate debates on tax tariffs? The worst dialogue of all time? Especially the love scenes? These had some of the best actors of the 9 but they end up looking horrendous in them! Hayden Christiansen? My coffee table had more dramatic range. Terrible CGI that looks worse with every year that passes? Always annoying, often outright racist parody, Jar Jar? Those films were bad very very bad. These 3 were enjoyable, the middle one was very good, that’s my take.

Last edited:
OK boomer.

In reality follow a lot of film criticism and heavily engage in it. The problem is they are mostly very much “online”. So they decided they were TLJ people and what that says about them. So when rumblings came out that tRoS was anti-TLJ they had their basis set. Also I liked TLJ more but this idea that this movie is worse than any of the prequels is laughable.

Lollll I’m 25, and you’re the one insinuating there’s some great “culture war”, which is about the most boomer take on the whole situation, that “SJW” critics have it out for JJ’s masterpiece. Perhaps I’m not getting your point but you’ve been pretty hesitant to nail it down for fear of being political.

Personally I don’t get how it’s bad that pop culture critics have opinions on culture and internet topics. Are they supposed to be reviewing art out of context? Without their POV or opinions? There’s obviously some conflicts of interest, like the critics that are friends with RJ who can’t really be unbiased, but that’s a minority when it comes to the 400+ reviews aggregated for RT.

I’ll agree with you on the prequels, by all technical measures they suck. The first two are painful to watch. I enjoy ROTS enough but it’s faults are glaring as well. I’d rather forced to watch TROS 15 times than the TPM once lol.

Lollll I’m 25, and you’re the one insinuating there’s some great “culture war”, which is about the most boomer take on the whole situation, that “SJW” critics have it out for JJ’s masterpiece. Perhaps I’m not getting your point but you’ve been pretty hesitant to nail it down for fear of being political.

Personally I don’t get how it’s bad that pop culture critics have opinions on culture and internet topics. Are they supposed to be reviewing art out of context? Without their POV or opinions? There’s obviously some conflicts of interest, like the critics that are friends with RJ who can’t really be unbiased, but that’s a minority when it comes to the 400+ reviews aggregated for RT.

I’ll agree with you on the prequels, by all technical measures they suck. The first two are painful to watch. I enjoy ROTS enough but it’s faults are glaring as well. I’d rather forced to watch TROS 15 times than the TPM once lol.
Boomer is a mindset.

Also I didn’t say it was “good” I said it was fine and not as good as either the last two. Not a “masterpiece”.

Boomer is a mindset.

Also I didn’t say it was “good” I said it was fine and not as good as either the last two. Not a “masterpiece”.

Yeah sorry I don’t see how my mindset is regressive and yours isn’t. But you seem more interested in petty one-liners than engaging in a conversation.

“Fine” is about how I’d rate it, which is in line with the middle of the road RT and MC scores for the film as well. Still don’t know what you’re upset about with the reviews.

Yeah sorry I don’t see how my mindset is regressive and yours isn’t. But you seem more interested in petty one-liners than engaging in a conversation.

“Fine” is about how I’d rate it, which is in line with the middle of the road RT and MC scores for the film as well. Still don’t know what you’re upset about with the reviews.

Okay

Since my flu is finally subsiding, I will take the opportunity to share a few good, Star-Warsy things I did like about TRoS:

1) Babu Frik
2) Piglet Coachella, as Blank Check called the festival on Pasaana.
3) Those rad Imperial catapult-tread bikes with deployable jetpack troopers.
4) The destruction of the transport.
5) Ian McDiarmid once again bringing the camp.
6) A lot of the film's visual design.
7) The little droid with trust issues.
8) Keri Russell's butt.
9) Keri Russell's helmet.
10) Intentional use of ForceTime to teleport objects.

Back