Spin The Black Circle - The Pearl Jam Thread

steven hyden's book on pearl jam comes out this year, i believe?

i would expect it'll be a more generic cultural critique centred around pearl jam, much akin to his treatise on radiohead's kid a

Anyone else get suckered in? I haven't even pre-ordered the regular pressing, but I saw this and jumped on it. It's already on eBay (poor seller thinks it's gonna ship next week, but it's not out til late July)
1643921676679.png

Anyone else get suckered in? I haven't even pre-ordered the regular pressing, but I saw this and jumped on it. It's already on eBay (poor seller thinks it's gonna ship next week, but it's not out til late July)
View attachment 127415
This version is shipping next week.

Attachments

• 9FED7BAB-2453-4266-B2BF-B7A682EC19B7.jpeg
    9FED7BAB-2453-4266-B2BF-B7A682EC19B7.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 8
View attachment 127415
Yes, I did. Fortunately they let me cancel my regular LP order.

Was anyone else at the EV show last night? It was great - if that tour is coming through your town, I recommend catching it.

Yes, I did. Fortunately they let me cancel my regular LP order.

Was anyone else at the EV show last night? It was great - if that tour is coming through your town, I recommend catching it.
I already have a shipping notification / tracking number for mine. Glad they let you cancel the other one, that seems unheard of... not that I've ever tried to cancel an order.

Going to the Newark show on Sunday night, looking forward to it.

I listened to the new Eddie Vedder album today with hopes it would be good. I was severely let down. What a steaming turd of an album. 😢
I was completely underwhelmed by what I've heard so far. We were at his Newark show on Sunday, and after seeing some of it performed live, I was feeling a bit more optimistic. Sadly, I think it will be a letdown. 😥

I was completely underwhelmed by what I've heard so far. We were at his Newark show on Sunday, and after seeing some of it performed live, I was feeling a bit more optimistic. Sadly, I think it will be a letdown. 😥
I was underwhelmed from my first listen to the three release songs, then I revisited them after seeing the Beacon show last Thursday and liked them much better. I thought everything played well live. I’m looking forward to giving the whole thing a listen - just have to decide whether to hit EV or Spoon first tomorrow morning.

i went to the chicago shows. the shows were fun and i’m glad i went- this is a supergroup that may very well never tour again after this and that was a big part of the appeal for me in deciding to go. they clearly enjoyed playing together and even made the second show work just fine after finding out a key member was going to be absent literally an hour before showtime. plus, ed said he had the covid in the couple weeks leading up to the tour so a 14 day rehearsal schedule became two days. so, all things considered, that they put on two good to great shows is an impressive feat.

that said, the new album songs just do not grab me at all and i am genuinely surprised earthling is getting the broader community love that it is. after listening to the album on the ride back and a couple times since, i do feel these songs are better live, so there’s that. but they were the lowest points of the shows for me. of the two nights, night one was the better show. not for you had a nice modern girl improv tag where ed reminisced a bit. after seeing it performed incredibly at ohana, i was hoping give blood would pop up despite pino palladino not being a part of the tour, so that might be the top song highlight for me in either of these shows. dirty frank was fun to hear for sure. for night two, most likely only the encore will be the memorable part of the evening. both nights’ porch jams were fun.

glen opened both shows with largely the same set and was about as professionally efficient as i’ve ever seen him. some banter and charming comments, but for the most part played his bits and then signed off quickly.

and now the san diego/la shows are postponed, so i'm glad i didn't really have a choice in which shows i would be able to go to otherwise i may very well have traveled to those shows instead.

i went to the chicago shows. the shows were fun and i’m glad i went- this is a supergroup that may very well never tour again after this and that was a big part of the appeal for me in deciding to go. they clearly enjoyed playing together and even made the second show work just fine after finding out a key member was going to be absent literally an hour before showtime. plus, ed said he had the covid in the couple weeks leading up to the tour so a 14 day rehearsal schedule became two days. so, all things considered, that they put on two good to great shows is an impressive feat.

that said, the new album songs just do not grab me at all and i am genuinely surprised earthling is getting the broader community love that it is. after listening to the album on the ride back and a couple times since, i do feel these songs are better live, so there’s that. but they were the lowest points of the shows for me. of the two nights, night one was the better show. not for you had a nice modern girl improv tag where ed reminisced a bit. after seeing it performed incredibly at ohana, i was hoping give blood would pop up despite pino palladino not being a part of the tour, so that might be the top song highlight for me in either of these shows. dirty frank was fun to hear for sure. for night two, most likely only the encore will be the memorable part of the evening. both nights’ porch jams were fun.

glen opened both shows with largely the same set and was about as professionally efficient as i’ve ever seen him. some banter and charming comments, but for the most part played his bits and then signed off quickly.

and now the san diego/la shows are postponed, so i'm glad i didn't really have a choice in which shows i would be able to go to otherwise i may very well have traveled to those shows instead.
Listened to Earthling yesterday, and gotta agree with your take. I don't know if its that it sounds polished, or there's a lack of urgency/intimacy that you usually get with Eddie's vocal, but the album hasn't grabbed me.

I'll be skipping the tour in San Diego this round, first local show I've missed since 2000. Not because of the album, but the price tag was just too high. Prices have been fluctuating on TicketMaster between $250/$350 + fees for a single ticket, and that's base price. I get that its the smallest venue on the tour at 1100 seats, but I just couldn't justify it.

That being said, agreed on the Give Blood cover, that was easily the high point of their set at Ohana. Would love to experience that again.

Back