Something More Than Blue: The Joni Mitchell Thread

Russ I

Now that Joni Mitchell is fully out of her shell and happily sharing her archives with eager listeners, with multiple archive releases accompanying album box sets from each era, mastering variations, and the various and sundry questions/reactions that accompany all of it, this seems like a good time to devote a thread to all that is Joni. I’ll start it off by sharing my impressions of Blue from The Reprise Albums (1968-1971) box set.

Spoiler: It’s absolutely stunning!

Blue is easily one of my top-10 all-time favorite albums, and in the months since my most recent turntable and speaker upgrades to a system that very well may be the best it ever gets for me (details in my signature), it’s the one album I’ve listened to most. A few of those listens were of an early 70’s pressing, but mostly it has been the Kevin Gray pressing released last year (presumably a repress of an earlier Kevin Gray master). It’s common knowledge that the KG master is superb, and not only do I love the album, but it sounds so good on my system that it makes me very happy to listen to it—thus the repetition. And thus my belief that I know this album pretty well, which led me to be very curious about the mastering for this 2021 box set.

Only one way to dig into it, and I was eager enough to do so that I broke my own rule and played it on my new turntable without first vacuum-cleaning it! Dropped the needle with equal parts excitement and trepidation, and then dropped my jaw when James Taylor’s guitar jumped out of the speaker, sat on my lap and asked me on a date—it was damn beautiful enough that I almost acquiesced! I couldn’t possibly count the number of times I’ve listened to this album, and it was like I’d never heard that guitar before in all it’s gorgeous glory. So crisp, so clear, so precise, and so forward in the mix. Wiped a bit of drool from my lip and then Joni’s voice knocked my head back. Had to turn down the volume a bit (I was really drawn in by that guitar!) but man, so rich and beautiful. Every copy of this album I’ve ever listened to has been like that with Joni’s voice front and center, so I’m sure this is a credit to the original recording, but still, you could grab on and climb it. Every intricate detail of the song has its own place in the mix and is crisp and clear yet blends beautifully into the whole. And so it goes, song by song, and by the time I got to the penultimate tune on Side 2, A Case of You, I had goosebumps and damn near lost my shit with tears welling in my eyes. It’s just. So. Beautiful! Then there’s the piano on The Last Time I Saw Richard, and somehow it’s like I’ve never heard it before—full-bodied, percussive, melodic, and so real.

I didn’t do a direct comparison to the Gray pressing, but this was a completely unique listening experience for me with a record I’m intimately familiar with. I know that if I go back to the Gray and listen for the stuff I heard that felt new, of course I’ll hear it, but that’s just not the same as having it wash over you without having to work for it. I think I’ve listened to enough Mobile Fidelity Gain 2 records to say that this pressing of Blue is similar to those MoFi’s in that each and every part of the song has its own place in the mix and is presented with impressive clarity. With some MoFi’s, I’ve questioned whether the sum of all of that is any greater than the parts, but I have no such questions here—it’s brilliant and I don’t hesitate to suggest it as a definitive pressing of this album. I suppose some might prefer other versions, but that just highlights the awesomeness of having such choices to make. The vinyl is flat, centered, and quiet (I had a few light crackles, but I'm assuming that's nothing more than a matter of cleaning), and the jacket is beautiful. Who knows whether the records from this set will be released individually, but it would be nice if they were so that more people could have/hear this version of Blue without having to spring for the box.

Last edited:
Hmm. Blue is one of my favourite albums of all time as well, and I had never really even been tempted to replace the original (I think) Canadian pressing I bought for $7 in 2008. Same with Ladies of the Canyon. I also don't love her first couple albums. But that review is making me reconsider. I'd love to hear the album like that. Is it still available?

Hmm. Blue is one of my favourite albums of all time as well, and I had never really even been tempted to replace the original (I think) Canadian pressing I bought for $7 in 2008. Same with Ladies of the Canyon. I also don't love her first couple albums. But that review is making me reconsider. I'd love to hear the album like that. Is it still available?
Yes, the box should still be available from all the usual places, including Joni's website:

Yes, the box should still be available from all the usual places, including Joni's website:

Awesome, thank you. I might have to do it.

It's actually pretty crazy that there wasn't a Joni thread before now, considering how many people here seem to love her. Not sure what that says.

She is for me an artist I got way into around 18-19 with Blue and Ladies, but I didn't like Court and Spark and when I later got to her first two records I didn't really like them either. Randomly got Hissing of Summer Lawns and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter in dollar bins. They were fine, spun them once in a while, but that's it. This happened to me with Dylan for a while too, and is also now ending with Neil Young. But if there's one more artist that I like but that I see myself getting really into their entire career any time soon, it will probably be Joni.

It's actually pretty crazy that there wasn't a Joni thread before now, considering how many people here seem to love her. Not sure what that says.

She is for me an artist I got way into around 18-19 with Blue and Ladies, but I didn't like Court and Spark and when I later got to her first two records I didn't really like them either. Randomly got Hissing of Summer Lawns and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter in dollar bins. They were fine, spun them once in a while, but that's it. This happened to me with Dylan for a while too, and is also now ending with Neil Young. But if there's one more artist that I like but that I see myself getting really into their entire career any time soon, it will probably be Joni.
I probably had a similar entry point, with a bit of dabbling in Clouds and Seagull, and I actually liked Court and Spark quite a bit. I sometimes wonder about the differences in perceptions of artists' catalog of music between those who followed it as it was happening, and those who come to it later. It seems there are quite a few fans of Neil Young, for example, who don't much care for Harvest, but as a 16-year-old in 1972 who heard Heart of Gold on the radio, that shit was hot and I'm sure I wasn't alone in digging into his back catalog after that intro. Anyway, back to Joni, I don't have much listening experience with her later stuff, and rather than feeling badly about that, I'm going to view it as a listening adventure awaiting me (I have most of it on vinyl). Enjoy the journey! 🍻

Try Hejira. It’s my favorite Joni album.

I probably had a similar entry point, with a bit of dabbling in Clouds and Seagull, and I actually liked Court and Spark quite a bit. I sometimes wonder about the differences in perceptions of artists' catalog of music between those who followed it as it was happening, and those who come to it later. It seems there are quite a few fans of Neil Young, for example, who don't much care for Harvest, but as a 16-year-old in 1972 who heard Heart of Gold on the radio, that shit was hot and I'm sure I wasn't alone in digging into his back catalog after that intro. Anyway, back to Joni, I don't have much listening experience with her later stuff, and rather than feeling badly about that, I'm going to view it as a listening adventure awaiting me (I have most of it on vinyl). Enjoy the journey! 🍻
Absolutely, I've started to notice similar things recently too. Maybe as I've gotten older I can see trends now between generational preferences. Harvest is one of my favourites now and was my first entry point into Neil Young as well, around 18 in 2007-8. I don't get the Harvest hate at all. It's an incredible album and sounds huge. I never really dug After the Gold Rush. I can't think of an analogue right now but to me it sounds like saying an inferior album is superior just to be contrarian. You don't have to hate the popular things!

I'm very much looking forward to the journey. I forgot to mention that I also heard Hejira at around 24-25 and I liked it very much and listened to it all the time. I might have been softened up on that one because I heard "Coyote" in the Last Waltz and I was in a very impressionable state and their performance is breathtaking. So I knew there was going to be other stuff I loved again from her, it was just a matter of when.

Last edited:
I went down a rabbit hole of performances from this concert. Stunning.
I'm rewatching the Rolling Thunder Revue film right now and just watched the sequence of Joni teaching Bob how to play Coyote, I think after she's recorded it but before it was released, or maybe even just after she's written it (they also show her poring over a draft of lyrics in another shot), and it's just mesmerizing.

Hello all!

I definitely recommend buying the Reprise Years box set while its still available, the Grundman cuts are excellent; just be sure to clean it thoroughly. I put them through my spin clean twice; after one spin they sounded good but had a couple moments of noise, now they sound great, just still getting a couple spots of noise in between tracks.

Also my favorite Joni album is The Hissing of Summer Lawns. Got my copy for $5 a decade ago. Still plays well, but I'd love a Grundman cut of that one.

Hello all!

I definitely recommend buying the Reprise Years box set while its still available, the Grundman cuts are excellent; just be sure to clean it thoroughly. I put them through my spin clean twice; after one spin they sounded good but had a couple moments of noise, now they sound great, just still getting a couple spots of noise in between tracks.

Also my favorite Joni album is The Hissing of Summer Lawns. Got my copy for $5 a decade ago. Still plays well, but I'd love a Grundman cut of that one.
I’ve got this version of Summer Lawns, and it’s really good. I do want the Speakers Corner version though.

Lol, turns out my cartridge was out of whack @JohnnyCashFan. Listening to Song of a Seagull which sounded like crap when I first received it, after an adjustment it is singing! No IGD or distortion, definitely needs a good clean though! Have yet to get to Blue, never listened to it and waiting for a nice quiet night to give it my full attention.

Back