Something More Than Blue: The Joni Mitchell Thread

I'm rewatching the Rolling Thunder Revue film right now and just watched the sequence of Joni teaching Bob how to play Coyote, I think after she's recorded it but before it was released, or maybe even just after she's written it (they also show her poring over a draft of lyrics in another shot), and it's just mesmerizing.

I watch this clip at least once a week.

Her performance is absolutely a miracle and she sounded amazing! Summertime was stunning. If she ever decides she’s able to record again, an album of jazzy standards like she’s done over her career would be amazing. So glad to see her back on stage and presumably doing well.

Her performance is absolutely a miracle and she sounded amazing! Summertime was stunning. If she ever decides she’s able to record again, an album of jazzy standards like she’s done over her career would be amazing. So glad to see her back on stage and presumably doing well.
It really does seem miraculous to see her back in the public eye, performing! And I had that same thought--she should make an album. Her voice, in yet another incarnation, sounds great.

Cross-post from Definitive Audiophile Pressing thread:

I picked up the Joni Mitchell Asylum Records box set from a local shop last week. The music sounds great, with Miles of Aisles as the real revelation for me, primarily because I'd never really listened to this 2LP album before, so never realized what a great live performance it presented. BUT, the copy of Court and Spark I received has definite non-fill issues, in multiple places. I've received a 'replacement' from Amazon (no explanation required, I assume), and the second copy of Court and Spark has just one split-second spit of non-fill on the first track, which is annoying though not necessarily a deal breaker. What I'm wondering is whether anyone got this box with a problem-free pressing of this album. It would be good to know whether persistence might pay off, though it's also true my options are somewhat limited.

Just listening to For The Roses right now. It’s an incredible album. It gets a little lost between Blue and Court & Spark but for my money it’s right up there with those two in every way. Also this Japanese OG I managed to get hold of is just incredible, if you like this and see one in decent condition of RC or Ella jump all over it.

So I was playing my blue copy of blue last night and it actually started to annoy me. The highs were cut really hot and with Joni’s range it was verging on the sibilant. Annoying. I never noticed it before, maybe I haven’t listened to it much in the last year since I got the Hana in the system

So today I was in town and I may have picked up the new clear pressing of the BG master. I’ll let you all know what I think later on…

So I was playing my blue copy of blue last night and it actually started to annoy me. The highs were cut really hot and with Joni’s range it was verging on the sibilant. Annoying. I never noticed it before, maybe I haven’t listened to it much in the last year since I got the Hana in the system

So today I was in town and I may have picked up the new clear pressing of the BG master. I’ll let you all know what I think later on…
Well, if that doesn't work for you, this one's pretty sweet:

Well, if that doesn't work for you, this one's pretty sweet:

Yeah for some reason in 2019 when rhino did the blue ones you all got that Kev Grey master and we got the in house engineer from optimal.

The one I got today is the breakout of the Bernie master from the box set last year so I’m hopeful because I’ve heard nothing but good things about it!

Yeah for some reason in 2019 when rhino did the blue ones you all got that Kev Grey master and we got the in house engineer from optimal.

The one I got today is the breakout of the Bernie master from the box set last year so I’m hopeful because I’ve heard nothing but good things about it!
Oh, yes. The box version is fantastic.

Also For The Roses is the next of the box set to be broken out. There is a black and a blue press due out at the end of the month.

Fingers crossed they all are before too long, I could really do with a better copy of Song For A Seagull and I’d probably get Miles of Aisles too.

Anyone get the CD box set? I did, and before even having it arrive, I was made aware of a problem via discussion on SHF.

So, basically, on Court and Spark someone did not do proper QC. Track 4 is supposed to be People's Parties followed by Track 5, Same Situation. However, on the CD track 4 has both People's Parties and Same Situation on that same track; followed by the proper track 5, Same Situation. So, you hear Same Situation twice (it's well, the same situation....hey-o!!! Thank you, I'll be touring the Borscht Belt this summer).

I emailed CS (I bought straight from the JM store). I already knew from reading others' experience that they received emails indicating that CS was aware of the situation and solutions were being looked at. Best case - they correct and send out replacement discs. I'm not too worried - in the realm of issues this is low threat, although I'd definitely like a fix if one is made available.

Initial response from their CS: "I am so sorry to hear that your order arrived damaged. Please could you send us a video of the vinyl/cassette so we can view the issue?"

Mind you, I replied to my order email to contact CS so they could see what I bought and I mentioned CD. I replied that it was neither vinyl nor cassette and that it didn't seem worthwhile to send a video of duplicate tracks when the issue seems widespread and they should be tracking it. I said I just wanted to make sure that I get queued for any potential future fix.

Well, they emailed me back with a full refund and a coupon for 10% off a future order. The 10% off is whatever - a token really - but the full refund was unexpected and unsought. I guess I'll just sit tight to see if there is a ever a fix. I imagine CS was just like let's get this guy off our sheets; but, still, appreciated.

Anyone get the CD box set? I did, and before even having it arrive, I was made aware of a problem via discussion on SHF.

So, basically, on Court and Spark someone did not do proper QC. Track 4 is supposed to be People's Parties followed by Track 5, Same Situation. However, on the CD track 4 has both People's Parties and Same Situation on that same track; followed by the proper track 5, Same Situation. So, you hear Same Situation twice (it's well, the same situation....hey-o!!! Thank you, I'll be touring the Borscht Belt this summer).

I emailed CS (I bought straight from the JM store). I already knew from reading others' experience that they received emails indicating that CS was aware of the situation and solutions were being looked at. Best case - they correct and send out replacement discs. I'm not too worried - in the realm of issues this is low threat, although I'd definitely like a fix if one is made available.

Initial response from their CS: "I am so sorry to hear that your order arrived damaged. Please could you send us a video of the vinyl/cassette so we can view the issue?"

Mind you, I replied to my order email to contact CS so they could see what I bought and I mentioned CD. I replied that it was neither vinyl nor cassette and that it didn't seem worthwhile to send a video of duplicate tracks when the issue seems widespread and they should be tracking it. I said I just wanted to make sure that I get queued for any potential future fix.

Well, they emailed me back with a full refund and a coupon for 10% off a future order. The 10% off is whatever - a token really - but the full refund was unexpected and unsought. I guess I'll just sit tight to see if there is a ever a fix. I imagine CS was just like let's get this guy off our sheets; but, still, appreciated.
Interesting, and kind of a generous response to your issue. I'll take that as a good sign. I've been in touch with them about the non-fill problem with the Court and Spark vinyl, which is complicated a bit by the fact I didn't buy the box directly from the website, but from a local independent. So far I've gone back and forth with them 3 times and mostly received boilerplate responses, but even they have been of a nature that keeps me hopeful.

Interesting, and kind of a generous response to your issue. I'll take that as a good sign. I've been in touch with them about the non-fill problem with the Court and Spark vinyl, which is complicated a bit by the fact I didn't buy the box directly from the website, but from a local independent. So far I've gone back and forth with them 3 times and mostly received boilerplate responses, but even they have been of a nature that keeps me hopeful.
So, while I did get my reply and refund from the official store, since I bought from them....

I think this may be a good contact for you to hit up: Contact | Rhino

It's Rhino's contact form. Even though I got a refund I'm still going to contact them to see if I can get a replacement disc when, and if, they become available.

So, while I did get my reply and refund from the official store, since I bought from them....

I think this may be a good contact for you to hit up: Contact | Rhino

It's Rhino's contact form. Even though I got a refund I'm still going to contact them to see if I can get a replacement disc when, and if, they become available.
Cool. Thanks! I'll give it a go.

I meant to come back and post this here a couple of weeks ago but forgot until now...

An interesting read. I disagree with the rankings and some of the opinions expressed but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It’s like trying to rank the Beatles. When every album in your catalog is so good why bother putting them up against each other? Every listener out there is bound to have their own opinion that relates to their experience with the music.

An interesting read. I disagree with the rankings and some of the opinions expressed but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It’s like trying to rank the Beatles. When every album in your catalog is so good why bother putting them up against each other? Every listener out there is bound to have their own opinion that relates to their experience with the music.

Yeah, I definitely posted for interest sake alone. I like some of the choices made on this one but don't agree with then all. All in all a fun read, and some requisite CanCon for the thread.

Back