SnowmaNick’s speaker shopping notes

The Blade 2 is darn near a SOTA loudspeaker, but I get your reservations. Moving down the KEF line will still result in excellent performance. Listen to the Vandersteen before dropping cash on the KEF, though.
Absolutely agree about the Blade 2. I love how they look, but, and it’s an important but, I’m not sure how they would look in my room.

As for the Vandersteen’s, I’m definitely going to be auditioning them.

I did opt for an “extended audition” of the KEF Reference 3. I just bought a used pair of Ref 3 (non-meta) at a price where I feel I can sell them at a minimal loss if I don’t feel they gel. Or that I end up preferring the Vandy’s or Focal’s or the Meta’s are worth triple the non-Metas.

So, these are on their way to my house.

IMG_1639.jpeg

Absolutely agree about the Blade 2. I love how they look, but, and it’s an important but, I’m not sure how they would look in my room.

I did opt for an “extended audition” of the KEF Reference 3. I just bought a used pair of Ref 3 (non-meta) at a price where I feel I can sell them at a minimal loss if I don’t feel they gel. Or that I end up preferring the Vandy’s or Focal’s or the Meta’s are worth triple the non-Metas.

View attachment 194406
TMR?

View attachment 194406
Beauttttts! Can’t wait to hear how they feel in your space! Pics pics pics!

KEF has perfected the UniQ over the decades. It’s now a near ideal mid-to-high direct radiator. IMO, the alignment and use of woofers is the greater distinction in their upper line products.

Was the LS60 ever in contention?

KEF has perfected the UniQ over the decades. It’s now a near ideal mid-to-high direct radiator. IMO, the alignment and use of woofers is the greater distinction in their upper line products.

Was the LS60 ever in contention?
No. I think they’re awesome, but I like to tinker with new components too much. Though I may look at them or the LS50 Wireless II to replace my Sonos ARC in the family room eventually.

Just dying to hear about those Ref 3’s…
I’m really impressed with them so far.

Considering they replaced good speakers with 2 x 8” drivers each and a pair of 8” subs, the bass is astounding for a pair of 6.5” drivers.

The imaging is great, one record I was listening to this weekend sounded like the guitar player was just sitting on top of the turntable and the pianist was slightly to the left and 10’ back from the singer while the bassist was wondering around the stage. It’s crazy.

The Meta’s do sound a bit more open and smoother from upper mids through the treble, but I feel getting these at 1/3 the cost of the Metas makes that a moot point.

I still want to Audi on the Vandy’s and YG’s, but now I’m honestly reconsidering Blade 2’s.

I should add an important caveat though. These Ref’s are so good that I can just wait for a pair of Blade 2 Metas in NM condition to show up on the used market. I’m really in no rush.

I have to say these Ref 3’s really blow me away. The imaging, bass, soundstage width and depth are all great. What’s really making me smile though is the synergy between the KEF’s and the Luxman. It’s beautiful to hear, be it vinyl, streaming, or CD, the system just feels “right” currently.

I’m having one of those days where my brain, room and music selections seem to be “just right.” I’ve been grinning ear-to-ear all afternoon.

I played with placement a bit over the last week, and the imaging is excellent currently. The Ref 3’s are throwing a very realistic image and can pull off some of those pseudo-surround sound tricks where it sounds like sounds are coming from behind and/or above you. The concentric drivers and some fantastic mids probably contribute to this.

The highs are smooth, though they don’t have quite the air and ability to convey the sense of shimmer that my Revel’s did with those Be tweeters. At the same time, I can and do listen to these Ref 3’s for 4-6+ hour stretches without fatigue.

The bass is very solid, not overly damped or too loose, and has great decay. I’m using the short port tubes in both ports and the speakers have 25” between their backs and the wall, the bass isn’t overripe or boomy at all, with no EQ.

I decided that, to me, these sound and look better without their grills. I’d recommend saving the money if you don’t have concerns of someone poking the drivers.

Welp, there is my check in report.

I’m having one of those days where my brain, room and music selections seem to be “just right.” I’ve been grinning ear-to-ear all afternoon.

I played with placement a bit over the last week, and the imaging is excellent currently. The Ref 3’s are throwing a very realistic image and can pull off some of those pseudo-surround sound tricks where it sounds like sounds are coming from behind and/or above you. The concentric drivers and some fantastic mids probably contribute to this.

The highs are smooth, though they don’t have quite the air and ability to convey the sense of shimmer that my Revel’s did with those Be tweeters. At the same time, I can and do listen to these Ref 3’s for 4-6+ hour stretches without fatigue.

The bass is very solid, not overly damped or too loose, and has great decay. I’m using the short port tubes in both ports and the speakers have 25” between their backs and the wall, the bass isn’t overripe or boomy at all, with no EQ.

I decided that, to me, these sound and look better without their grills. I’d recommend saving the money if you don’t have concerns of someone poking the drivers.

Welp, there is my check in report.
Don’t leave me hanging, man … how’s it going with those Ref 3s? Are you done now? I saw the outriggers and Gaia’s go on.

Don’t leave me hanging, man … how’s it going with those Ref 3s? Are you done now? I saw the outriggers and Gaia’s go on.
Not done, but I’ve been seriously enjoying them and that’s slowed my interest in auditioning down to a crawl. These have a great, full range, non-fatiguing sound, image like crazy, are pretty transparent to the source and neutral.

I prefer the meta version a little more, but not the price delta between what I got these for and a set of metas worth more.

I still want to check out the Vandy’s and Spendor’s, but my eyes keep wandering towards new turntables or maybe a new streamer & DAC? Or ….

I love this hobby, there’s always something new to try.

Back