SnowmaNick’s speaker shopping notes

Ok, uhm, yeah. So here’s a question for you fine people. I have a chance to get Blade 2 (non-meta) for under $10k, which is less than the Reference 3 Meta’s that I loved. But they would have to be shipped. And they’re used. Normally I love used equipment, I let someone else get the depreciation heartburn, but these are big speakers, and shippers mess things up.

So far, I haven’t heard the YG or the Focal’s, but I loved what I heard with the KEF Reference Meta line. Should I jump at the Blade 2’s, or go with the new Reference Meta line? Or….
Bias alert - I buy almost all of my components used. I say - “yeah, go for the Blades!”

Years ago, I bought my +200 lb Thiels from a guy in Minneapolis when I lived in Kansas. I happened to be on a business trip there, so I got to inspect and hear them before sealing the deal. I was able to arrange shipping via UShip and the speakers arrived in perfect condition. It cost less than I expected at the time.

It may be worth a plane ticket to see them first, but there are shippers who can handle heavy and delicate items.

It's times like these, when I consider the sheer number of times my handle is directly referenced in regards to "Murder Dungeons" in potential Google searches that I thank jeebus I did not use my real name on here.
I’m consistently surprised by the number of times my own posts show up in searches I run. By now, my stuff is likely part of some Cognitive AI training set that spits out garbage answers to garbage questions.

I’m consistently surprised by the number of times my own posts show up in searches I run. By now, my stuff is likely part of some Cognitive AI training set that spits out garbage answers to garbage questions.
When randos starting getting in touch with me to flatten records due to Google searches that reference the Flattener thread on here I knew it was trouble...

On the Wilsons, whether or not you like them (I do) no one can dispute the build quality. There’s a YT video showing a factory tour and how they are built and it’s amazing.

The KEF Blades- admittedly I’m not a fan of their current offerings, but when it comes the the Blades, all I see is an LS50 driver in a large cabinet. I know there’s way more going on, but that’s what I see.

Ok, I’m wimping out on the Blade 2’s. They would be too large for my room and don’t match anything. The wife either used some psychological voodoo or knew I come to this conclusion. Smart woman.

Still on the hunt.
The Blade 2 is darn near a SOTA loudspeaker, but I get your reservations. Moving down the KEF line will still result in excellent performance. Listen to the Vandersteen before dropping cash on the KEF, though.

On the Wilsons, whether or not you like them (I do) no one can dispute the build quality. There’s a YT video showing a factory tour and how they are built and it’s amazing.

The KEF Blades- admittedly I’m not a fan of their current offerings, but when it comes the the Blades, all I see is an LS50 driver in a large cabinet. I know there’s way more going on, but that’s what I see.
I agree Wilson has a very high standard of fit, finish and construction. I tend to prefer the bottom half of their offerings, Sabrina X to Sasha Daw, the upper half is just too wild aesthetically for me.

Disagree about KEFs though. May be a matter of preference, but to me, subjectively and objectively, they’re just nailing it.

Back