SnowmaNick’s speaker shopping notes

SnowmaNick

So, I’m looking to replace my Revel F228Be’s. They’re great speakers but I find their bass presentation a bit light without subs, and I’d like to not use subs for my stereo system. This is a music only setup, 60/40 vinyl/streaming.

I was thinking I’d share my thoughts on speakers as I audition them in case anyone else is looking at any of these.

These notes are my steaming hot takes. So please don’t take any offense if I don’t like something you do. I’ll also be getting the demos at the dealers, in their rooms and their equipment. Before I finally pull the trigger I’ll ask for a home demo to make sure the speakers fit my system.

Speaking of, my system, stuff rotates in and out of it, but the speakers tend to stay. I got the Revel Be’s when they came out. I’ve had 5 different integrated amps in that time (Denon, Rogue, Parasound, Margules and my current Luxman), 3 different turntables, 3 DACs, 2 streamers. So, I like speakers that show what is happening upstream of them. As my speakers tend to last, I’m looking at new whereas my other equipment comes mainly from US Audiomart, Audiogon, etc. Speakers are large (I tend to prefer large floor standing models with near full to full range), cost a lot to ship, can easily get messed in shipping, and are very personal tastes to each individual.

These are the speakers on my list (in no particular order):
  • Magico A3 (or A5)
  • Focal Sopra 2
  • KEF Reference 3 Meta
  • YG Acoustics Talus or Ascent
  • Spendor D9
  • Wharfedale Elysian 4
  • Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT

I’ll do a separate post for each as I audition them.

Some speakers I’ve thought about but decided against due to price, size, aesthetics, wife vetoed, etc. These are going in the living room, so they need to be nice to look at, and get her approval on how they fit in with our home.

Revival Audio Atalante 5: wife veto, size & design. I think their beautiful, wife absolutely doesn’t.

Fyne Audio F1-8: “Minion head” design according to my wife and daughter. They have a very nice finish, good sound, but the odd looks did it in. I feel I would still end up needing a sub with these as well.

Revel Ultima2 Salon: I love how these sound, but they are huge, require a lot of space, and really more power than my L-509x can give them. Great, great speakers though.

**KEF Blade 2 Meta: wife-veto. She just laughed as soon as I showed them to her. ** This just in, the wife likes them in frosted blue. Veto on hold.

Bowers and Wilkins 803 D4- too colored, and fatigue set in fast for me.

Canton Reference 3: I liked the sound, maybe a touch too much bass, I wish these came in more finishes. The piano gloss black was well done, but after owning gloss black speakers for over 5 years, they are finger print and dust magnets.

Dynaudio Confidence 30 - ugly in person. Again, the tweeter lacks some air, narrow sweet spot, doesn’t have that last bit of detail to really sell the soundstage and top end. Overpriced imho for what you are getting.

JBL 4367: Loved the sound, could use a bit more bottom end, which surprised me with their massive size and driver. Wife didn’t like the size, they’re basically small refrigerators, or finish options. I also felt for the money they were a little “plain” to look at and the build quality wasn’t anywhere near the Canton or QLN.

QLN Prestige 3: I’m still on the fence with these. I was only able to find one local dealer, a great guy and shop, but terrible acoustics. They sounded a bit mushy and soft, but that could have been the room. They get universal plaudits in the press, but I was underwhelmed.

Marten Parker Trio: I just can’t find a damn dealer!

Wilson Audio Sabrina X: Great size/small footprint with impressive sound. Bass was strong, physical, but still tight. I didn’t like the upper treble, it started to sound grainy at above average listening levels, the imaging was ok, but not amazing, and I think they may be too small for my room. FYI, Wilson is raising prices 2/15/2024, so these will have a starting price of $21,500, $22,500 for upgraded colors. $25k for the pearl finishes.

Yamaha NS-5000: wife again hated the looks. Never got to audition.

Harbeth M40.2: See Yamaha and Revival.

Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand: Sound nice, “big” sound from a well built tiny tower. The imaging was a little vague, and bass bass was overly plump and wooly.

Dynaudio Contour 30i and 50i. The 50i is huge. Well made and inoffensive design, but I didn’t think enjoy the tweeter. Too soft and lacking air and detail.

The budget is up to $25k. I sold my classic Jag that spent more time in my mechanics shop than my garage to fund this. So it’s kind of a one time shot at some “next level” speakers for me. Before I know it my kids are going to be looking at colleges and my audio hobby will be the first to feel the budget crimp.

Last edited:
So, I’m looking to replace my Revel F228Be’s. They’re great speakers but I find their bass presentation a bit light without subs, and I’d like to not use subs for my stereo system. This is a music only setup, 60/40 vinyl/streaming.

I was thinking I’d share my thoughts on speakers as I audition them in case anyone else is looking at any of these.

These notes are my steaming hot takes. So please don’t take any offense if I don’t like something you do. I’ll also be getting the demos at the dealers, in their rooms and their equipment. Before I finally pull the trigger I’ll ask for a home demo to make sure the speakers fit my system.

Speaking of, my system, stuff rotates in and out of it, but the speakers tend to stay. I got the Revel Be’s when they came out. I’ve had 5 different integrated amps in that time (Denon, Rogue, Parasound, Margules and my current Luxman), 3 different turntables, 3 DACs, 2 streamers. So, I like speakers that show what is happening upstream of them. As my speakers tend to last, I’m looking at new whereas my other equipment comes mainly from US Audiomart, Audiogon, etc. Speakers are large (I tend to prefer large floor standing models with near full to full range), cost a lot to ship, can easily get messed in shipping, and are very personal tastes to each individual.

• Magico A3 (or A5)
  • Focal Sopra 2
  • Dynaudio Contour 30i or 50i
  • Dynaudio Confidence 30
  • KEF Reference 3 Meta
  • Wilson Audio Sabrina X
  • Vienna Acoustics Beethoven
  • Wharfedale Elysian 4
  • Bowers and Wilkins 803 D4

Some speakers I’ve thought about but decided against due to price, size, aesthetics, wife vetoed, etc. These are going in the living room, so they need to be nice to look at, and get her approval on how they fit in with our home.

Revival Audio Atalante 5: wife veto, size & design. I think their beautiful, wife absolutely doesn’t.

Fyne Audio F1-8: “Minion head” design according to my wife and daughter. They have a very nice finish, good sound, but the odd looks did it in. I feel I would still end up needing a sub with these as well.

Revel Ultima2 Salon: I love how these sound, but they are huge, require a lot of space, and really more power than my L-509x can give them. Great, great speakers though.

KEF Blade 2 Meta: wife-veto. She just laughed as soon as I showed them to her.

Canton Reference 3: I liked the sound, maybe a touch too much bass, I wish these came in more finishes. The piano gloss black was well done, but after owning gloss black speakers for over 5 years, they are finger print and dust magnets.

JBL 4367: Loved the sound, could use a bit more bottom end, which surprised me with their massive size and driver. Wife didn’t like the size, they’re basically small refrigerators, or finish options. I also felt for the money they were a little “plain” to look at and the build quality wasn’t anywhere near the Canton or QLN.

QLN Prestige 3: I’m still on the fence with these. I was only able to find one local dealer, a great guy and shop, but terrible acoustics. They sounded a bit mushy and soft, but that could have been the room. They get universal plaudits in the press, but I was underwhelmed.

The budget is up to $25k. I sold my classic Jag that spent more time in my mechanics shop than my garage to fund this. So it’s kind of a one time shot at some “next level” speakers for me. Before I know it my kids are going to be looking at colleges and my audio hobby will be the first to feel the budget crimp.
I’m told Klipsch La Scalas are notably small and can be tucked away neatly.

• Magico A3 (or A5)
  • Focal Sopra 2
  • Dynaudio Contour 30i or 50i
  • Dynaudio Confidence 30
  • KEF Reference 3 Meta
  • Wilson Audio Sabrina X
  • Vienna Acoustics Beethoven
  • Wharfedale Elysian 4
  • Bowers and Wilkins 803 D4

KEF Blade 2 Meta: wife-veto. She just laughed as soon as I showed them to her.

If they’re within budget I’d look at the Fyne Vintage Classic range. I just love their look and the whole story of the company makes me want to hear their range.

I’d be very interested to hear your takeaway on the wharfedales too!

I love buying speakers as much as any other audiophile, but have you considered digital room correction to deal with the bass? The problem I foresee is that you really won’t know how the bass of a new speaker will sound until the speaker is in your room, due to room acoustics.

If you really like the mids and highs of the Revel, room correction DSP could be the most reliable way to get the sound you want.

Then again, there is the F328Be …

Also, have you considered bi-amping? A high-power, high damping factor amp on the woofers might change your bass presentation versus the Luxman while preserving the Luxman’s liquid midrange and lustrous highs.

The Stereophile review of the F228Be did not suggest it would be bass shy.

Just alternative ideas. But buy new speakers if that’s the itch you need to scratch!

Fyne Classic 15 are my dream speaker.

They also cost roughly the same as my car…
Yes. I absolutely do not like how they look but they were astonishing to hear. Now of course this being said I'm very much of the opinion that it's nearly impossible to ACTUALLY know how any of these speakers sound without trying them across different systems with different songs because of all the variables. But those two were on initial wow factor my biggest winner of the day. The Utopia made me burst out laughing and then almost immediately tear up. They were out of this world. But that's what you'd expect from a half million dollar system.

I love buying speakers as much as any other audiophile, but have you considered digital room correction to deal with the bass? The problem I foresee is that you really won’t know how the bass of a new speaker will sound until the speaker is in your room, due to room acoustics.

If you really like the mids and highs of the Revel, room correction DSP could be the most reliable way to get the sound you want.

Then again, there is the F328Be …
I have used a Mini DSP with Dirac in the stereo system before. I didn’t like it. I do use a MiniDSP 2x4 HD (4x2?) with the JL’s in the setup, but I want to remove the JL’s.

The only room EQ I actually enjoyed as much as a straight signal was the Trinnov system. I don’t tend to have Dirac turned on even with my home theater. Too much smearing and smoothing for me. But I do see your point and thank you for the thought. I’m kind of wanting to go old school, placement, some room treatment, etc. with this though.

Yes. I absolutely do not like how they look but they were astonishing to hear. Now of course this being said I'm very much of the opinion that it's nearly impossible to ACTUALLY know how any of these speakers sound without trying them across different systems with different songs because of all the variables. But those two were on initial wow factor my biggest winner of the day. The Utopia made me burst out laughing and then almost immediately tear up. They were out of this world. But that's what you'd expect from a half million dollar system.

Yeah the little brother range vintage classic that look more mid century than the classics, which are a bit more traditional, are much better looking.

They are on paper a perfect match for my power amp too, very high efficiency and dual concentric drivers with their unique bass porting is made for tubes…

Also, have you considered bi-amping? A high-power, high damping factor amp on the woofers might change your bass presentation versus the Luxman while preserving the Luxman’s liquid midrange and lustrous highs.

The Stereophile review of the F228Be did not suggest it would be bass shy.

Just alternative ideas. But buy new speakers if that’s the itch you need to scratch!
I brought one of my ATI n-cores up once with the Parasound acting as a preamp. More power was good, but only at higher levels than I typically listen to.

Bass is there, but my living room is fairly open. 27’ from front wall to the landing, then another 8’, open to the dining room and two hallways. Also the sloped ceiling goes from 10’ to 18’. I feel similar to Gene DellaSalla, the Revels have bass, but it feels light.

The only Utopia whose paint I could sniff is the Diablo Utopia Evo Colour. Which I plan to try to get a listen too, but that’s a ton of money for a stand mount.

Not sure about your local distribution, but at your price target, the Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT would be on my interview list. The selling point for the Quatro for you would be the integrated powered subs. They are finely adjustable to accommodate your room and this can be done by the dealer who would help with positioning.

Vandersteen has a long history of producing high performing speakers and the Quatro Wood CT is well-documented and reviewed.

Not sure about your local distribution, but at your price target, the Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT would be on my interview list. The selling point for the Quatro for you would be the integrated powered subs. They are finely adjustable to accommodate your room and this can be done by the dealer who would help with positioning.

Vandersteen has a long history of producing high performing speakers and the Quatro Wood CT is well-documented and reviewed.

Great suggestion. I’ll have to see if I can find a dealer. Thank you.

Another hidden gem that is at bit lower price point (!) but having very high quality is the Spendor D9.2. It won’t take up a huge amount of space but is designed for low bass output with relatively high sensitivity. I’d expect it to match well with the Luxman while being flexible in room placement. Outstanding build quality and many finishes available.

I was able to demo the Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand today. The sales man told me the Concert Grand would have a very similar sonic profile, but a larger presentation. This was at Soundings in Greenwood Village, a very nice audio and home theater shop. I highly recommend them if you’re local.

The Baby Grand had a nice, warm sound, with full bass. Really a surprising amount of bass for such a small tower. The finish and build quality were also very high. For a small house, this is an easy fit. I’d think of the stand mount for an apartment though, as the bass would get you evicted!

A great little tower, but not for me. I found the imaging a little vague, and while the speaker definitely sounded “big” I found it too plump and not defined enough.

While at Soundings I also demonstrated the KEF Reference line. They had the stand mount Reference 1 setup with a HiFi Rose acting as the preamp and a Parasound JC5+ powering them, running off a Roon Nucleus.

Wow. I mean, just wow. As opposed to the Beethoven Baby Grand, the bass was tight, well defined, and easily followed. And speaker was so well balanced from bottom to top.

The imaging was out of this world too. I felt like I could walk into the soundstage and jam with the musicians. It went way past the edges of the speakers and completely filled in the center. Like a full stage, not just spotlighted in the middle with the musicians stacked up. It also had great height, and decent depth.

I wish they had the 3’s there, but they’d probably be too large for that room and not been as mind blowing. They did have the finish I am interested in, silver and satin walnut, and it is well done. The design of the cabinet isn’t going to blow anyone’s mind, it’s a rectangle on some outriggers, but it should fit in with nice furniture anywhere.

The Reference 3 is now on top of my list. Huge soundstage, great bass, well defined imaging, solid looks. I had a hard time not just ordering them on the spot.

On a side note, the HiFi Rose was really cool. I have an Eversolo DMP-A6 and was thinking the Rose would just be a bigger version of the same schtick, but that screen and software were beautiful to behold. I like my streamer to ddc to DAC combo, but I understand the draw to spend a little more on a single, full size piece like this.

Back