Sexy M.F.'ers...The Prince Fan Thread

I've just received my Super Deluxe Vinyl set of Sign o the times. Looks amazing. I'm just spinning the first record (single edits and mixes) and it sounds great on my system. If all sounds that great, it'll be wonderful.

Love how the outside of the package says "Lord Nelson" haha.

View attachment 67606

View attachment 67607

They did this for the 1999 vinyl box, too. Glad to see the consistency. :cool:

Ive always liked sott but wondered why everyone else did. It always felt a little cold, a little metallic and honestly, most of it sounded like noise. I get it after spinning the new remaster. It’s pretty fucking spectacular. Also, I always enjoy Black and Lovesexy more than I remember enjoying them.

Have they announced what the next super mega boxset album they plan on doing is?
Hopefully it’s Purple Rain!!! CD Disc 2 and 3 especially of the deluxe expanded edition Of Purple Rain needs to get a vinyl pressing! 💯

CD Disc 2 of the previously unreleased material from the Purple Rain Deluxe and Expanded edition is incredible! That would have to be a 2LP! CD Disc 3, which are the edits and B-Sides, which features ‘Erotic City’, ‘God’, ‘17 Days’ and ‘Another Lonely Christmas’ will also be a 2LP!

CD 4 is a live performance from 1985, which fits perfectly onto 3LP’s/6 sides!

I really hope they give Purple Rain the deluxe Boxset treatment like they did with 1999 and Sign O’ The Times! 🙏

What do you boys say? @Tyr @Lee Newman ? Do you think we’ll get a deluxe Purple Rain Boxset next?

Hopefully it’s Purple Rain!!! CD Disc 2 and 3 especially of the deluxe expanded edition Of Purple Rain needs to get a vinyl pressing! 💯

CD Disc 2 of the previously unreleased material from the Purple Rain Deluxe and Expanded edition is incredible! That would have to be a 2LP! CD Disc 3, which are the edits and B-Sides, which features ‘Erotic City’, ‘God’, ‘17 Days’ and ‘Another Lonely Christmas’ will also be a 2LP!

CD 4 is a live performance from 1985, which fits perfectly onto 3LP’s/6 sides!

I really hope they give Purple Rain the deluxe Boxset treatment like they did with 1999 and Sign O’ The Times! 🙏

What do you boys say? @Tyr @Lee Newman ? Do you think we’ll get a deluxe Purple Rain Boxset next?
I highly doubt it will be Purple Rain, as it already got that RE. It was nowhere near the magnitude of 1999/SOTT but I don't see them putting more gas in that tank right now.

Is it even guaranteed that there will be another super deluxe of anything? I imagine they'll continue doing REs, as there are a lot of albums fans will clamor for REs of. A couple of years ago there were pre-orders up for most of his Warner albums - Lovesexy, Batman, Graf Bridge, Love Symbol, Black Album - but they ended up getting canceled. I have all of them on vinyl (except LS, only on CD) but would love to see them get REs. However, although Prince was prolific in his recording, could you imagine a 6, 8, 10 (whatever) LP super deluxe of the Graf Bridge era? Some of those wells are gonna dry up real quick. I could see Lovesexy and The Black Album sharing a box set billing, given the history between those two (some sort of duality theme).

I highly doubt it will be Purple Rain, as it already got that RE. It was nowhere near the magnitude of 1999/SOTT but I don't see them putting more gas in that tank right now.

Is it even guaranteed that there will be another super deluxe of anything? I imagine they'll continue doing REs, as there are a lot of albums fans will clamor for REs of. A couple of years ago there were pre-orders up for most of his Warner albums - Lovesexy, Batman, Graf Bridge, Love Symbol, Black Album - but they ended up getting canceled. I have all of them on vinyl (except LS, only on CD) but would love to see them get REs. However, although Prince was prolific in his recording, could you imagine a 6, 8, 10 (whatever) LP super deluxe of the Graf Bridge era? Some of those wells are gonna dry up real quick. I could see Lovesexy and The Black Album sharing a box set billing, given the history between those two (some sort of duality theme).
Mmmmm I think you’re on the money there Lord! Lovesexy, Love Symbol, Graffiti Bridge and The Black Album could all do with a vinyl reissue, cut by Kevin Gray or Bernie Grundman!

I especially would like Lovesexy or Love Symbol to get some special treatment as I love those two albums! Love Symbol and The Black Album in my opinion were Prince’s last great albums!

Emancipation has a lot of great songs but is too bloated with ‘ok’ songs, and 3121 is good too and has some real standout songs, but some of the other songs sound a bit dated! I recently spun Musicology and gosh, did the second and third track on Side 1 sound very outdated!

Last edited:
Ahem, Ahem! The Gold Experience! The Rainbow Children! Lotusflow3r! Hit n Run Phase Two! These are all great.
The Rainbow Children is pretty great actually but I don’t think Hit n Run Phase Two is great. I remember getting the CD for that one after his intimate piano performance and the music was quite pleasing on the ear, but most of it was nothing amazing. Need to give it another listen though!

I have to confess that I’ve never heard The Gold Experience!

Art Official Age was definitely better than Hit n Run Phase II from memory like four years ago, but like I said, I’ll have to give Hit n Run another listen!

Hit n Run 1 is poor. Still has 1000 X’s and O’s on it, which is a gorgeous slow jam
I can’t help but still be so intrigued that your favourite Prince album is ‘Parade’! That 2016 reissue sounds really good by the way, I love spinning it! Girls & Boys is such a jam and ‘I Wonder U’ is that kaleidoscopic quiet sexy jam that is so pleasing to the ear!

But yeah, everytime I see your name and think of Prince, all I think about how Parade is your #1 album of his. So distracting! 😂🙉🙈🙃

The Gold Experience is really good. Such a long career is hard to judge; but none of his last two decades of output is anywhere as good as his 80's run and still comes in behind most of the 90s, IMO. To call them great, YMMV and IMO (of course), is maybe a bit of stanning. Prince is my favorite artist but I still like to be honest with myself about when something is the shit and when it's just shit.

My subjective rankings divided into Top Tier, High Tier, Mid Tier, Low Tier (not incl any posthumous or side projects/proteges and leaving a few off); breakdowns not in any particular order

Top: SOTT, Purple Rain, Dirty Mind, 1999
High: Controversy, Around the World in a Day, Parade, Black Album, Love Symbol, Lovesexy, The Gold Experience
Mid: The Rainbow Children, Graffiti Bridge, Self-Titled, Diamonds & Pearls, Batman, Chaos & Disorder, Emancipation, Crystal Ball
Low: For You, NEWS (I really enjoy it, but I have to be honest about what it is), Come, Rave, Musicology, 3121, Planet Earth.....and everything else after that

The Gold Experience is really good. Such a long career is hard to judge; but none of his last two decades of output is anywhere as good as his 80's run and still comes in behind most of the 90s, IMO. To call them great, YMMV and IMO (of course), is maybe a bit of stanning. Prince is my favorite artist but I still like to be honest with myself about when something is the shit and when it's just shit.

My subjective rankings divided into Top Tier, High Tier, Mid Tier, Low Tier (not incl any posthumous or side projects/proteges and leaving a few off); breakdowns not in any particular order

High: Controversy, Around the World in a Day, Parade, Black Album, Love Symbol, Lovesexy, The Gold Experience
Mid: The Rainbow Children, Graffiti Bridge, Self-Titled, Diamonds & Pearls, Batman, Chaos & Disorder, Emancipation, Crystal Ball
Low: For You, NEWS (I really enjoy it, but I have to be honest about what it is), Come, Rave, Musicology, 3121, Planet Earth.....and everything else after that

I would move Love Symbol, Parade and Gold Experience and Rainbow Children up a tier but to each their own. Most of his releases have something worth the price of admission on them.

Prince’s self-titled is in your mid-tier! BLASPHEMY.BOLONEY.BULLSHIT! 🤨😤

It starts with ‘I Wanna Be Your Lover’, then ‘Sexy Dancer’ comes soon after! It has freaking ‘Sexy Dancer’ on it! Then before you know it, the tender, comforting, groovy ‘I Feel For You’ plays! And When We’re Dancing so Close and Slow has that quaint, pretty, innocent and intimate charm to it! It’s so good! Prince’s self-titled is in the ‘High Tier’!

Lord, you can’t put Prince’s self-titled in the same tier as Batman and Crystal Ball...just NO! 😭

I would move Love Symbol, Parade and Gold Experience and Rainbow Children up a tier but to each their own. Most of his releases have something worth the price of admission on them.
It is difficult thing to do - and I did point out that it is subjective, but I tried to remain critical. For example, NEWS...I really enjoy it and will actually play it more often than some albums I ranked higher (Blackwell's drumming on East is spectacular), but I try to be honest with what it is (a diversion into jazz fusion, that others have done better - no matter how much I like it). Same with Rainbow Children - the funk workouts on there are top-notch, the ballads and slow jams are some of the best and smoothest he wrote, and guitar on the title track is face-melting. I have no issue with your assertions that the titles you mentioned are fluid. I def won't argue w/ Parade - it is one of the best, but I felt the need to be discerning with the top tier.

@NathanRicaud I'd rather listen to Batman than S/T. There is some great song-writing on that album but I feel the instrumentation and recording was a victim of its time and sounds not fully formed and restrained. It also pales in comparison, IMO, to when Prince had really begun to use keyboards as integral to his rhythm section and pushed that beautiful, clean guitar sound of his to the front. Basically, I think the songwriting is better than the actual songs, if that makes sense"?

The top four of Lord’s Prince’s albums (Sign O’ The Times, Purple Rain, 1999 & Dirty Mind) all should stay in the top tier. But Love Symbol, Parade and Controversy should join that list!

The high tier should be Lovesexy, Prince, Around The World In A Day, The Black Album and Rainbow Children. Just those five albums.

Diamond & Pearls should stay in the mid-tier. Although a good album, is a bit overrated in my opinion even though it has some badass tracks! But Prince’s self-titled is definitely better. And the album cover for Prince’s self-titled is so much better than the album cover for Prince’s Diamond and Pearls! 💯

The top four of Lord’s Prince’s albums (Sign O’ The Times, Purple Rain, 1999 & Dirty Mind) all should stay in the top tier. But Love Symbol, Parade and Controversy should join that list!

The high tier should be Lovesexy, Prince, Around The World In A Day, The Black Album and Rainbow Children. Just those five albums.

Diamond & Pearls should stay in the mid-tier. Although a good album, is a bit overrated in my opinion even though it has some badass tracks! But Prince’s self-titled is definitely better. And the album cover for Prince’s self-titled is so much better than the album cover for Prince’s Diamond and Pearls! 💯

We can separately rank artwork separate from music. If so, let's talk about the fold-out poster that came with Controversy.

Game...blouses.

It is difficult thing to do - and I did point out that it is subjective, but I tried to remain critical. For example, NEWS...I really enjoy it and will actually play it more often than some albums I ranked higher (Blackwell's drumming on East is spectacular), but I try to be honest with what it is (a diversion into jazz fusion, that others have done better - no matter how much I like it). Same with Rainbow Children - the funk workouts on there are top-notch, the ballads and slow jams are some of the best and smoothest he wrote, and guitar on the title track is face-melting. I have no issue with your assertions that the titles you mentioned are fluid. I def won't argue w/ Parade - it is one of the best, but I felt the need to be discerning with the top tier.

@NathanRicaud I'd rather listen to Batman than S/T. There is some great song-writing on that album but I feel the instrumentation and recording was a victim of its time and sounds not fully formed and restrained. It also pales in comparison, IMO, to when Prince had really begun to use keyboards as integral to his rhythm section and pushed that beautiful, clean guitar sound of his to the front. Basically, I think the songwriting is better than the actual songs, if that makes sense"?

Agree on Batman. I love those songs. Vicki Waiting, Electric Chair, it’s one of his most underrated sets.

Back