September 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - 'Cause you can't, you won't, and you don't stop!

Day 3: “ Now here's a little story I've got to tell about three bad brothers you know so well, It started way back in history with AdRock, M.C.A., and me - Mike D.”

Run-DMC - Raising Hell
04D3A8B7-7962-436C-BF05-AD1BAD3543A3.jpeg

“Three Bad Brothers” tag coulda easily been applied to their fellow De Jam label mates, Run, DMC, and Jam Master Jay, in fact Run & DMC have a songwriting credit on “Paul Revere”.

Day 4: “I do not sing but I make a def song, you could live your whole life and I hope you live long. On the Gong Show we won't get gonged, we're the Beastie Boys not Cheech and Chong”

Willie Nelson - Phases & Stages
3F936293-ABB5-4092-A803-D4019F5D8783.jpeg

Willie has lived a long life (just recently turned 89) and I hope he continues to live long.

Day 6: “Like Sam the butcher bringing Alice the meat, Like Fred Flinstone driving around with bald feet”

The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.
7DC99D6C-8281-4FB3-8623-C7265189A21D.jpeg
The Beastie Boys Brady Bunch and Flintstones bars are examples of why they are much beloved by Gen X. The semi-ironic appreciation of 60s and 70s Pop Culture that many latchkey kids can relate with after watching endless reruns after school while waiting for their parents to get home to make dinner. I think in the 90s many movie studios attempted to capitalize off this nostalgia to varying degrees of success. It a was a very fine line to walk. I would argue that two of the best examples of these movies actually being very good were the Christina Ricci, Anjelica Huston, Raul Julia, Christopher Lloyd staring Addams Family movies and The Shelly Long, Gary Cole, Michael McKean, Jean Smart, and RuPaul(!) starring Brady Bunch movies. Both worked on a similar conceit of dropping these iconic TV families in the modern era (the 1990s) with little explanation allowing the characters to ham it up while referencing each respective show. Both are much funnier than either has any right to be.

TL;DR: I the Beasties semi-ironic one-liners comp nicely with the same Gen X humor that The Brady Bunch Movie mines for great effect.

In the movie, in a reference to the original series; Dave’s Jones swings by to preform at the request of the Davey Jones Fan Club President, Marsha Brady. Also the rest of the Monkees (sans Mike Neamith) are judges at the talent show the Brady kids preform in.

Day 6: “Like Sam the butcher bringing Alice the meat, Like Fred Flinstone driving around with bald feet”

I'm guessing Sam used some sort of meat machine....

IMG_1888.JPG

As a Gen-Xer who was in elementary school in the 70s, I can say that I was OBSESSED with The Brady Bunch. And, I can still watch it today...and am always hoping there was some episode I missed somewhere.

Day 7: “Washing windows on the Bowery at a quarter to four, ‘Cause he ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more.”

This song is about a man that fell from glory and is now homeless washing car windows. I find that the fall from glory is constantly echoed in this album. Not just Born in the USA but Working on the Highway is about a man that is required to work on the highway because he was put in jail and is on a chain gang. Downbound Train is probably the best one that fits the theme because it’s about a man that got laid off and is working at a car wash. Glory Days also echoes this theme of falling from grace—“just sitting back trying to recapture a little of the glory of, well time slips away and leaves you with nothing.” The record ends with My Hometown which talks about what his hometown looked like when he was young and then the deterioration of the town after they closed the textile mill.

5A097974-5BF7-4C60-8E9C-93A179E1BAD8.jpeg

Last edited:
Been away on a short Holiday having a bit of social media/Internet detox but i'm back for a few days at least
Day 3: “ Now here's a little story I've got to tell about three bad brothers you know so well, It started way back in history with AdRock, M.C.A., and me - Mike D.”
three brothers you say
1662641511845.png
20220808_173841.jpg
yes I know there are two copies in the photo, I was saving postage for a friend
20220808_202426.jpg

Day 8: “Rock my Addidas, never rock Fila”

This record has shoes on the cover. That’s about it, lol.

This is a 1996 repress of a really fun punk compilation from 1982 and it’s got some great songs.

Oi! Oi! That’s Yer Lot 4 - Various (The Business, Five O, The Oppressed, Sub Culture, Crux, The Warriors, Attak, Arthur & The Afters, Frankie & the Flames, The Magnificent Gonads, Attila the Stockbroker, Judge Dred, Skin Graft, coming Blood, The Strike)

D5621DBD-95B2-4127-8F5D-E81A586F147A.jpeg

Day 8: “Rock my Addidas, never rock Fila”

This record has shoes on the cover. That’s about it, lol.

This is a 1996 repress of a really fun punk compilation from 1982 and it’s got some great songs.

Oi! Oi! That’s Yer Lot 4 - Various (The Business, Five O, The Oppressed, Sub Culture, Crux, The Warriors, Attak, Arthur & The Afters, Frankie & the Flames, The Magnificent Gonads, Attila the Stockbroker, Judge Dred, Skin Graft, coming Blood, The Strike)

View attachment 150819

This might be the way to go today, I was curious where people would go with this beyond "My Addidas".

Gonna follow your lead with shoes on the cover. Plus @Smartiepants playing the Interrupters put me in the mood for some ska!

Various Artists ~ Dance Craze

1662653244312.png

Back