September 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - 'Cause you can't, you won't, and you don't stop!

Day 2: “I got a girl in the Castle and one in the pagoda, You know I got rhymes like Abe Vigoda”

I'm jumping off on the word pagoda which is a Buddhist or Hindu temple. And this is one of my favorite pickups this year. Fantastic music and Speakers Corner crushed it with the pressing. The global musical fusion on this is great and it features a few Indian musicians who incorporate Hindu musical techniques. If you're into guitar jazz fusion Shakti rules!

Shakti w/John McLaughlin - Natural Elements
Screenshot_2022-09-02-13-21-21-09_4a808d795e22c35ddff3ce3b406eb72d.jpg

Day 2: “I got a girl in the Castle and one in the pagoda, You know I got rhymes like Abe Vigoda”

I'm jumping off on the word pagoda which is a Buddhist or Hindu temple. And this is one of my favorite pickups this year. Fantastic music and Speakers Corner crushed it with the pressing. The global musical fusion on this is great and it features a few Indian musicians who incorporate Hindu musical techniques. If you're into guitar jazz fusion Shakti rules!

Shakti w/John McLaughlin - Natural Elements
View attachment 150325
You realize that I must now go and listen to this right? This sounds spectacular.

Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
2F7296CA-3820-479E-AC3F-E7BE636355A6.jpeg
I love today challenge has become a “6 degrees of Abe Vigoda” type thing. I’m familiar with Abe as an actor on Barney Miller and for his role in The Godfather but my first real introduction to Abe Vigoda was for the often hilarious comedy bits that included him on Late Night With Conan O’Brien in the late 90s and early 00s.

All this to then say that another frequent Conan Guest mainly due to the Fact that Conan’s band leader was also the drummer for The E Street Band, was BRUUUUCE. Here is a video with him jamming out to a cut from the Seeger Sessions with help from The Max Weinberg Seven, Conan, and for some reason Thomas Hayden Church and Jimmy Fallon. I miss Late Night.

I love today challenge has become a “6 degrees of Abe Vigoda” type thing. I’m familiar with Abe as an actor on Barney Miller and for his role in The Godfather but my first real introduction to Abe Vigoda was for the often hilarious comedy bits that included him on Late Night With Conan O’Brien in the late 90s and early 00s.

Interrupting my listen of the excellent album that @Hemotep posted today to spend 11 minutes on the history of the Christmas Vigoda is exactly why I think it was good not to have specific themes for the days, but to let the multi-layered / reference Beastie lyrics set us off in different directions!

Day 2: “I got a girl in the Castle and one in the pagoda, You know I got rhymes like Abe Vigoda

Decided to play Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon Abe Vigoda for this one!

In 1993, Vigoda lent his voice to the animated Batman film “Mask of the Phantasm”. On that film’s soundtrack, there’s a love ballad (I’m assuming, I haven’t heard it) sung by Tia Carrere called “I Never Even Told You”, written by Glen Ballard & Siedah Garrett. That duo also wrote this #1 hit from 1987:

Michael Jackson - Bad

BCED4314-9347-4142-B5AE-5C8934DAF66C.jpeg

The obvious link is that FFC directed The Godfather featuring Abe Vigoda, and also directed One From The Heart
But the other link I found is, and stay with me here, the Barney Miller theme song (one of my favorite ever) featured that perfect opening bass line from Chuck Berghofer. Chuck has played with tons of artists, including Shelly Manne, who plays drums on this soundtrack.

IMG_1860.JPG

Back