September 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: This Thread. This Thread Is The Place. The Place Where Everything. Everything Always Happens.

Day 9 - “Psycho killer, qu’est-ce que c’est?”
Réalisant mon espoir, je me lance vers la gloire, OK.
Play an album with French lyrics or by an artist from Quebec or France. Imaginary bonus brown noser points for a French album by a French-Canadian artist.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

Some of the sampled vocals are in French, and they're from Montreal. Do I win?

20210602_195011-jpg.101380

Day 14 - “Radio Head”
Transmitter! Oh! Picking up something good. Hey, radio head! The sound...of a brand-new world.
Play an album by a band that influenced Radiohead or by a band that influenced one of those bands. Or just play something by Radiohead.

Miles Davis Sextet* – Someday My Prince Will Come
IMG-2008.jpg

Day 14 - “Radio Head”

Transmitter! Oh! Picking up something good. Hey, radio head! The sound...of a brand-new world.

Play an album by a band that influenced Radiohead or by a band that influenced one of those bands. Or just play something by Radiohead.

Joy Division - Transmission b/w Novelty

While there is a lot of JD influence in Radiohead, for me it is most prominent on tracks like Transmission.
Radio, live transmission
F128484F-64A6-4972-BC29-74F57187AE7F.jpeg

Day 14 - “Radio Head”

I was thinking of going for a low-hanging fruit because I want to spin the japanese pressing of True Stories I obtained recently. But then I decided I was in the mood for this...

The Smiths "Strangeways, Here We Come" (1987 Rough Trade; 2009 Rhino reissue)
Both Ed O'Brien and Thom York are big fans according to an interview about their influences in Rolling Stone.
“I only went to Manchester really because of the music scene and really because of the Smiths. And when I got there, within a month I got seven Smiths shows.” — Ed O’Brien
“I think I went [to Smiths shows] about ten or fifteen times. I’d stay with him and we saw a couple of shows.” — Thom Yorke

IMG_1793.JPG

Day 14 - “Radio Head”

I think I figured out what David Rawlings is saying to Giillian on the album cover: "You know who I really like, Radiohead! We should bust out our Black Star cover more often. Or at least release it on vinyl."

Gillian Welch ~ The Harrow and the Harvest

1631637449304.png

Day 12: “Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)”
You’re hosting Tyrion Lannister for Sunday dinner. Play something he’d like.

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
8F8F998A-AD98-4C4E-A7B0-BA0BF5D40B8E.jpeg

The Lord of Casterly Rock and Hand of The King would appreciate some heavy Prog Rock in between bottles of wine and some mutton stew.

Day 14 - “Radio Head”

R.E.M. - Murmur

Thom's fav by them is actually New Adventures in Hi Fi, but I won't have that one until the reissue comes out soonish.

IMG_20210831_175744860_HDR.jpg

Day 14 - “Radio Head”
Just play something by Radiohead.
Ok, I’ll do that.

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

I think I’m in the minority that has this ranked in the top third of their releases.

20210914_182832.jpg

Day 14 - “Radio Head”

———
Miles Davis - “Kind of Blue”

93AE9204-0000-4BEE-BFDC-9163471E3EB8.jpeg

Day 8 - “Sugar On My Tongue”
Is she gonna put sugar on my tongue? Is she gonna gimme, gimme, gimme some?
Is this song about sex or drugs? Or both? Play music that references sex or drugs, bonus imaginary points if both.

Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space

Love, drugs, and loving drugs.

20200919_144522-jpg.66916

Back