September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Time to

20200927_233759.jpg

Day 26: ”Stranger Things..” - 80’s classics time

The most crowning achievement of an 80's band is to embrace all those 80's production values yet still manage to sound fresh and timeless decades later. Not sure anyone did that better than The Cars,

Behold - these righteous haircuts...

The Cars - Panorama

20200927_235259.jpg

Day 28: “Simply the best..”..play a great best of or a various artists compilation album

One of my favorite comps of all-time with one of my favorite songs of all-time with one of my favorite guitar solos of all-time.

A bonus of one of my favorite bands of all-time covering above song and holding their own.

Life is short.

Turn it up and break something...

The Cramps - Bad Music For Bad People

20191021_001832.jpg

Day 27: “Labels”- picture those immortal circular label designs

So I’m a big Smiths/Morrissey fan - one of the things I love was/is the attention to sleeves and label design - and although Morrissey is choosing some odd covers these days - he’s got a great knack of reactivating old label designs of years gone by throughout his solo career - so here’s 16 of them for you - spanning 1988 to 2020

View attachment 67992

A Gav-La to @Gavaxeman for taking 16 photos and having the ability, dexterity and coherence to combine them into one.

Day 23: “Raise Your Hands”..- Live Albums ..let’s see them lighters...or phones

15-60-75 ‎– Jimmy Bell's Still In Town

This has to played!

View attachment 68007

This is a really great album. I'm thrilled so many folks enjoyed discovering it last month. Truly an unknown treasure to most everyone.

If you missed the AoTM thread and want to relive the fun, here's the link...

Day 28: “Simply the best..”..play a great best of or a various artists compilation album

A very cool 30-something woman who worked at a local record shop for several years said that when people asked her who was better, the Beatles or the Stones, she answered: "The Kinks." She may have just been trying to sell me a record :p but she definitely was on to something.

The Kinks - The Kink Kronikles

Sept28a.jpg

And I'm happy to have the recent RSD reissue!

Sept28b.jpg

Last edited:
Day 28 - Singles Going Steady

I always thought that if VMP put half the effort into the anthology boxsets as Numero Group does for theirs, Anthology Me Please would be an automatic buy for me each time. But my wallet is happy that they don't.

Ork Records: New York, New York

If you have even a passing interest in the New York CBGBs scene, you owe it to yourself to get this comp. 4 lps and a great hardcover book, all in a beautiful slip case. Sadly Numero has never worried too much about pressing quality. But who cares when you have a line-up that includes Television, Alex Chilton, The Feelies and Chris Stamey
C96DC4B0-F590-4177-9E8B-7D871AB36EF3.jpeg

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Live: Volume 1

20200928_104133.jpg

The last track With Prince, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, and Dhani Harrison performing "While My Guitar Gently Sleeps" is amazing and a must see/hear

Back