September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Gav-la recap to date

1)first Gav-La goes to @Yer Ol' Uncle D 🥇.....winner of the first post award
2)Winner of the second Gav-la @Murfocakes the shameless sucking up by posting a Morrissey record Gav-la 👏🏻
3) @gaporter 👀first duplicate-post!
4)Gav-La goes to @ByersVinyl for cheekiness and initiative 📈
5)Gav-la to @threesunrises for being brave🆕
6)Gav-La goes to @Fleetwood-Matt for a hat trick of beautiful looking vinyl 🧿
7)Gav-la to @bettim84 💯award for 4/4 posts of records I own
8) Gav-la for @Turbo for his yellow submarine 🇨🇦
9)Gav-la for @threesunrises for guitar fire 🎸 🔥
10)Gav-la for @Yer Ol' Uncle D for awesomeness 🏆
11)Gav-la also to @Murfocakes for awesomeness 🎫
12)Gav-la to @Wicked Dreamer for bringing the Bowie to the party👨‍🎤
13)Gav-la to @ranbalam for drumming dedication 🥁
14)Gav-la to @sahomerrocks for bonus doggy photobomb🐶
15)Gav-la to @tvham for bringing the bono😎
16)Gav-la to @howmuchartcanyoutake for bringing the heartache 💔

17)Gav-la to @Russ I for bringing his royal badass purpleness to the party 👑
18)Gav-la to @imtheocean for reminding us theirs more to life than records ⛑
19) Gav-la to @ByersVinyl for being keen 🏃‍♂️
20)Gav-la to @Lee Newman for subversiveness 🏴‍☠️

21)Gav-la to @D Jilla for bringing the poop 💩
22)Gav-la to @ByersVinyl for being premature 🚷
23)Gav-la to @LeSamourai for making it Business Time 💑=👪
24)Gav-la to @Fleetwood-Matt for making a🌈
25)Gav-la to @waruv for continuing to dream😴 and holding the faith🤞
26)
Gav-la to @BjorgenFjorgen for a Pink Floyd factoid 🌒
27)Gav-la to @howmuchartcanyoutake for bringing the death 💀
28)Gav-la to @slugr8 for inventing a genre “swamp funk!” 👨‍🎓
29)Gav-la for @gafacaode for ambition 🤷‍♂️

30)Gav-la back from the dead award to @dhodo 🧟‍♂️

31)Gav-la to @RowBearToe for longest post 📩
32)Gav-la to @LeeVing for bringing the Ronnie🤘
33)Gav-la to]@jamieanderson1968[/USER] for immaculate taste🥃
34)Gav-la to @Selaws for services to Jazz 🎺
35)Gav-la to @TenderLovingKiller® for walking the dinosaur 🦖

36)Gav-la to @LeeVing for highlighting injustice 🚨
37)Gav-la to @cul8er for 12 posts in a day!⏳
38)Gav-la to @Gavaxeman for photographic skills 📸

Day 28: “Simply the best..”..play a great best of or a various artists compilation album

Bill Evans - Smile With Your Heart (Resonance Records, 2019 Pressing)

This is a fantastic compilation of Bill Evans tracks from the Resonance series. Resonance had released 4 live Bill Evans albums at this point and this compilation takes from these sessions. Really great comp.

IMG_9364.JPG

Day 28-Simply the best..”..play a great best of or a various artists compilation album

Crowded House - The Very Very Best of Crowded House

0753586D-8720-4DBE-BB4D-F0A76C46909C.jpeg
I’m a huge Crowded House fan and own all their albums on vinyl but think this is a great introduction for any fan who might not want to invest in trying to grab their entire catalog. Features hits like Don’t Dream It’s Over, Weather With You, Something So Strong as well as personal favorites such as Distant Sun, Nails In My Feet, Don’t Stop Now.

Day 28-Simply the best..”..play a great best of or a various artists compilation album

Killer comp.

852E8015-6C35-4B1D-B45F-3CD91C009AE7.jpeg

From the LITA page:

"It’s been a long time coming, but After Laughter Comes Tears is the first ever anthology of southern soul legend Wendy Rene, whose classic, organ-driven “After Laughter (Comes Tears)” has been covered or sampled by everyone from Wu Tang Clan (“Tearz”, from 36 Chambers) to Alicia Keys (“Where Do We Go From Here”), Lykke Li and El Perro Del Mar. “If I could sing like anyone,” said Lykke Li, “It would be her.”

Born Mary Frierson in Memphis, Tennessee, home of Stax Records, Wendy Rene was christened by Otis Redding on signing to Stax as a teenager in 1963. Back then, she and brother Johnny Frierson, both singers at the Church of God In Christ, were determined to make it in music. Forming singing quartet The Drapels with two friends, they took the bus to 926 E. McLemore Avenue, auditioned for Stax co-founder Jim Stewart, and won a deal on the spot. “As soon as we finished with the Drapels’ songs and [the rest of the band] were going to the bus stop, I showed Mr. Stewart my songs,” recalls Rene. The result? Stewart found two acts in one, and Mary had two contracts with Stax.

Both Drapels and Wendy began recording with the greats – that’s The MGs on the group’s “Young Man”, Booker T. Jones playing organ on “After Laughter” and Steve Cropper playing guitar on the dance craze-inspired “Bar-B-Q”, the success of which caused Wendy – then a teen bride – to leave school.

The Drapels dissolved almost as quickly as Wendy’s first marriage, partly due to the attention lavished on youngest member Wendy’s solo career. But a real hit eluded the singer, and in 1967, with a growing family with second husband and Stax employee James Cross, Wendy decided to retire from the business. “I wanted a baby to hold and coochie-coo to, and I didn’t want to miss any more time away from my kids,” she says.

Wendy was due to perform one last show with Otis Redding and the Bar-Kays, but changed her mind at the last minute. It was an auspicious decision – that weekend, Redding and four Bar-Kays died when their plane crashed in Lake Monona.

Mary mourned her friends but not her music career. She taught harmony to her children and she sang in church, not in the studio. Then, in 1993, something strange happened – a friend of her son heard Wu Tang Clan’s “Tearz” on the radio. As new generations of artists have rediscovered Wendy Rene’s work, they have touched her life in various ways: Alicia Keys’s remake of “After Laughter…”, “Where Do We Go From Here”, for example, helped pay for her current home. Keys tried to meet up with Rene when she played in Memphis. “I wasn’t able to do it,” says Wendy, revealing little.

In September 2010, Wendy Rene returned to live performance, albeit very briefly, playing a set at Ponderosa Stomp in New Orleans. It was to be a bittersweet occasion – Wendy’s beloved brother Johnny had died suddenly in June 2010 and performing brought back a flood of memories. “I was so choked up I wasn’t able to perform like I wanted,” she admits. Though her career was brief, Wendy Rene left behind a thrilling catalogue of classic soul. Here, Light In The Attic gives it the archive treatment it richly deserves. Listen, delve and enjoy."

Killer comp.

View attachment 68086

From the LITA page:

"It’s been a long time coming, but After Laughter Comes Tears is the first ever anthology of southern soul legend Wendy Rene, whose classic, organ-driven “After Laughter (Comes Tears)” has been covered or sampled by everyone from Wu Tang Clan (“Tearz”, from 36 Chambers) to Alicia Keys (“Where Do We Go From Here”), Lykke Li and El Perro Del Mar. “If I could sing like anyone,” said Lykke Li, “It would be her.”

Born Mary Frierson in Memphis, Tennessee, home of Stax Records, Wendy Rene was christened by Otis Redding on signing to Stax as a teenager in 1963. Back then, she and brother Johnny Frierson, both singers at the Church of God In Christ, were determined to make it in music. Forming singing quartet The Drapels with two friends, they took the bus to 926 E. McLemore Avenue, auditioned for Stax co-founder Jim Stewart, and won a deal on the spot. “As soon as we finished with the Drapels’ songs and [the rest of the band] were going to the bus stop, I showed Mr. Stewart my songs,” recalls Rene. The result? Stewart found two acts in one, and Mary had two contracts with Stax.

Both Drapels and Wendy began recording with the greats – that’s The MGs on the group’s “Young Man”, Booker T. Jones playing organ on “After Laughter” and Steve Cropper playing guitar on the dance craze-inspired “Bar-B-Q”, the success of which caused Wendy – then a teen bride – to leave school.

The Drapels dissolved almost as quickly as Wendy’s first marriage, partly due to the attention lavished on youngest member Wendy’s solo career. But a real hit eluded the singer, and in 1967, with a growing family with second husband and Stax employee James Cross, Wendy decided to retire from the business. “I wanted a baby to hold and coochie-coo to, and I didn’t want to miss any more time away from my kids,” she says.

Wendy was due to perform one last show with Otis Redding and the Bar-Kays, but changed her mind at the last minute. It was an auspicious decision – that weekend, Redding and four Bar-Kays died when their plane crashed in Lake Monona.

Mary mourned her friends but not her music career. She taught harmony to her children and she sang in church, not in the studio. Then, in 1993, something strange happened – a friend of her son heard Wu Tang Clan’s “Tearz” on the radio. As new generations of artists have rediscovered Wendy Rene’s work, they have touched her life in various ways: Alicia Keys’s remake of “After Laughter…”, “Where Do We Go From Here”, for example, helped pay for her current home. Keys tried to meet up with Rene when she played in Memphis. “I wasn’t able to do it,” says Wendy, revealing little.

In September 2010, Wendy Rene returned to live performance, albeit very briefly, playing a set at Ponderosa Stomp in New Orleans. It was to be a bittersweet occasion – Wendy’s beloved brother Johnny had died suddenly in June 2010 and performing brought back a flood of memories. “I was so choked up I wasn’t able to perform like I wanted,” she admits. Though her career was brief, Wendy Rene left behind a thrilling catalogue of classic soul. Here, Light In The Attic gives it the archive treatment it richly deserves. Listen, delve and enjoy."

Great post

Day 26: ”Stranger Things..” - 80’s classics time

N.W.A ‎– Straight Outta Compton
PXL_20200928_201717861.jpg

Edit: This was already chosen for a different category.
Day 13: “Time” - an album from your year of birth

So I have a few hundred at this point... And nothing from my year of birth. So I'm cheating a bit. This album was recorded in part in 1987 which is as close as it's getting being released in 1988. The release of this pressing was later but it still hits really damn hard.

N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton

Day 28: “Simply the best..”..play a great best of or a various artists compilation album

Various Artists - Urban Renewal Program

Released by the Chicago-based Chocolate Industries label back in 2002, this compilation features original tracks by rappers like El-P, Aesop Rock, Mos Def, and Diverse, along with electronic instrumentals and production from Prefuse 73, RJD2, Tortoise, and others. It's a great time capsule of the underground hip-hop world of the early 2000s.

Capture+_2020-09-28-12-22-09.png

Hank Williams - 20 of Hank Williams Greatest Hits
C2A54C77-0249-46A8-A43B-59D22B0E4F53.jpeg
I am not a “greatest hits” guy when it comes to Vinyl. Not that they don’t serve a purpose but I tend to treat albums like complete prices of art as opposed to the sum of their parts (singles and greatest hits make much more sense to me as part of my digital music library). I have a few soundtracks and compilations but I am fairly certain I have exactly two Greatest Hits Comps, Bob Marley’s Legend and This, Hank’s Greatest Hits. It is about the only way to go if you want any of his music on wax as he died prior to albums becoming a thing.

Back