September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 8: “Birmingham Beat” - lets see how far my hometown bands have travelled..anywhere from the Midlands U.K. will do. (Or U.K. if you struggle with the accent) ..hint.. SabbathDuran etc

I discovered the first Electric Light Orchestra album in the mid 70's and this crazy mix of psychedelia, blues and baroque chamber music fried my little brain in the best way possible.

Exhibit A...

The Electric Light Orchestra - No Answer

20200305_131349.jpg

Day 8: “Birmingham Beat” - lets see how far my hometown bands have travelled..anywhere from the Midlands U.K. will do. (Or U.K. if you struggle with the accent) ..hint.. SabbathDuran etc

Thunderclap Newman – Hollywood Dream

Band members Speedy Keen and Andy “Thunderclap” Newman were born a bit outside the Midlands (Ealing and Middlesex, respectively), but this choice is a lot more fun than the obvious Traffic (which I fully intended to use until my search for one of their albums had me thumbing past this one)! The (Thunderclap Newman) band was formed originally by Pete Townshend (Chiswick-ugh! No closer!), who played bass on all their studio recordings under the name Bijou Drains. This is a fun record, released in 1970 and highly recommended.

Sept8a.jpg
Sept8b.jpg
Sept8c.jpg

Last edited:

Ozzy Osbourne / Randy Rhoads ‎– Tribute (Epic, 1987 First UK Pressing - Signed)

Im surprised no one swooped in early with Ozzy or Sabbath. This one is an interesting one as is supposedly signed by Ozzy. The album is a tribute to Ozzy's friend and guitarist, Randy Rhodes, who died in a plane crash whilst touring with the group. I've also included the tickets we had to see Ozzy, before it was cancelled due to his ill health.

IMG_2001.JPG

Twofer today
First up a proper Birmingham band on CD:

AD0EA761-3142-4252-97E8-952F35C2E703.jpeg

Next, one of my favorite UK artists:

C0310C7C-3478-4322-8C36-2F1078F94190.jpeg

Ok it’s 22:45UK time and I’ve had 2 night of terrible quality sleep. I can’t stay awake any longer.
So with that I’m rule breaking - Day 8 just got a quick spin....
View attachment 65180

Interesting brum fact ..Stevie Winwood went to my school (Great Barr Comp) ...and he lives not a million miles away from my parents old house , and I knew a man who did work on his place... there you go ..as you were

I discovered the first Electric Light Orchestra album in the mid 70's and this crazy mix of psychedelia, blues and baroque chamber music fried my little brain in the best way possible.

Exhibit A...

The Electric Light Orchestra - No Answer

View attachment 65221

Brum rating - 10/10 Jeff is a proper bluenose

Thunderclap Newman – Hollywood Dream

Band members Speedy Keen and Andy “Thunderclap” Newman were born a bit outside the Midlands (Ealing and Middlesex, respectively), but this choice is a lot more fun than the obvious Traffic (which I fully intended to use until my search for one of their albums had me thumbing past this one)! The (Thunderclap Newman) band was formed originally by Pete Townshend (Chiswick-ugh! No closer!), who played bass on all their studio recordings under the name Bijou Drains. This is a fun record, released in 1970 and highly recommended.

View attachment 65224
View attachment 65225
View attachment 65226

Brum rating ..0/10 . Bunch of cockneys

Ozzy Osbourne / Randy Rhoads ‎– Tribute (Epic, 1987 First UK Pressing - Signed)

Im surprised no one swooped in early with Ozzy or Sabbath. This one is an interesting one as is supposedly signed by Ozzy. The album is a tribute to Ozzy's friend and guitarist, Randy Rhodes, who died in a plane crash whilst touring with the group. I've also included the tickets we had to see Ozzy, before it was cancelled due to his ill health.

View attachment 65234

Brum rating 10/10 ..the biggest local legend ..

Brum fact ..ozzy’s old school was round the corner from my nan’s and I’ve walked past it several times ..Geezer Butler went to school with one of my teachers ..Tony Iommi played golf with one of my mates who had no idea who he was

Day 8: "Birmingham Beat"

Arcadia "So Red The Rose" (1985 Capitol Records)

I was a big Duranie growing up. Here's a hot take: "So Red The Rose" would rank in 3rd among Duran Duran albums if it was released under that name (and it should have, considering 3 members are present and John joined them after a while). If you must know, I rank "Rio" and "Notorious" above it and S/T (1981) equally. Plus, the album cover is fantastic. Also, where else do you find Duran Duran, Herbie Hancock, David Gilmour and Sting together (see "The Promise")? (ok, maybe Band Aid, I'm not sure).

IMG_0797.JPG

Twofer today
First up a proper Birmingham band on CD:

View attachment 65245

Next, one of my favorite UK artists:

View attachment 65246

Brum rating ..OCS ..10/10 ..proper local boys ..
Brum fact no 350..one of my mates resolutely refused to dance to OCS ..ever... whenever they came on at local indie hot spot “snobs” ..off he went to get a beer , pee or stand arms folded with a disapproving face ...no matter how drunk or what OCS song , his radar kicked in ..and never did he stay
Guess what band I played at his wedding!

Back