September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 8: "Birmingham Beat"

Arcadia "So Red The Rose" (1985 Capitol Records)

I was a big Duranie growing up. Here's a hot take: "So Red The Rose" would rank in 3rd among Duran Duran albums if it was released under that name (and it should have, considering 3 members are present and John joined them after a while). If you must know, I rank "Rio" and "Notorious" above it and S/T (1981) equally. Plus, the album cover is fantastic. Also, where else do you find Duran Duran, Herbie Hancock, David Gilmour and Sting together (see "The Promise")? (ok, maybe Band Aid, I'm not sure).

View attachment 65256

Brum rating 10/10 ...

Brum factoid 34577..Simon Le Bon Bon was at college with one of my teachers ..and she may have snogged him

Day 8: "Birmingham Beat"

Arcadia "So Red The Rose" (1985 Capitol Records)

I was a big Duranie growing up. Here's a hot take: "So Red The Rose" would rank in 3rd among Duran Duran albums if it was released under that name (and it should have, considering 3 members are present and John joined them after a while). If you must know, I rank "Rio" and "Notorious" above it and S/T (1981) equally. Plus, the album cover is fantastic. Also, where else do you find Duran Duran, Herbie Hancock, David Gilmour and Sting together (see "The Promise")? (ok, maybe Band Aid, I'm not sure).

View attachment 65256

The Powerstation album is also a good one

Day 8: “Birmingham Beat”

Fine Young Cannibals - The Raw & the Cooked
View attachment 65257
Featuring two US #1 singles, this album was everywhere in the late 80’s/early 90’s. It also has a great cover of The Buzzcocks “Ever Fallen in Love”

Brum rating 10/10..were the two back room boys from The Beat ? Can’t remember but we will claim them

Day 8: “Birmingham Beat”

Fine Young Cannibals - The Raw & the Cooked
View attachment 65257
Featuring two US #1 singles, this album was everywhere in the late 80’s/early 90’s. It also has a great cover of The Buzzcocks “Ever Fallen in Love”

I almost played my copy of their first album. Need a copy of this one eventually. Reissues would be great for people to rediscover them. Only two albums but both are really solid. Roland Gift has such an amazing voice.

Day 8: “Birmingham Beat” - lets see how far my hometown bands have travelled..anywhere from the Midlands U.K. will do.
The Streets - Original Pirated Material
DA2A7A4B-10A7-4746-9EF3-60F498601852.jpeg

This was a tough one. Hopefully this qualifies, from what I have read, Mike Skinner was born in Barnet but was raised in West Heath Birmingham.

I almost played my copy of their first album. Need a copy of this one eventually. Reissues would be great for people to rediscover them. Only two albums but both are really solid. Roland Gift has such an amazing voice.
...and I was just thinking I need their first album! Johnny Come Home and their cover of Suspicious Minds are 🔥🔥🔥
I grabbed this one off Discogs recently - typical 80's super thin pressing that still sounds fantastic.

Last edited:
Day 8 - Birmingham Beat

20200908_130020.jpg

Christine McVie - Christine Perfect

Back to the Mac already with Birmingham's Christine McVie! Glad I could play this today because while listening to the Mac boxster it was her songs i was really vibing with this time. Her contribution to the band is so understated and it's a shame

Day 7 - Mini-LP

U2 ~ Under a Blood Red Sky. Appropriate given the wildfires here in California. Including a pic taken Saturday from near my house, looking out toward the Valley Fire. Thankfully we aren't in any danger, but it's impacting a lot of people out here.

IMG_8073.jpg

IMG_5584.jpg

Day 7 - Mini-LP

U2 ~ Under a Blood Red Sky. Appropriate given the wildfires here in California. Including a pic taken Saturday from near my house, looking out toward the Valley Fire. Thankfully we aren't in any danger, but it's impacting a lot of people out here.

View attachment 65276

View attachment 65277
Stay safe. We got hit real hard with wild fire smoke last night. The fires are hundreds of miles away in Easten Washington but the wind carried it over causing the whole neighborhood smelled like a campfire, the air quality was terrible.

Day 8 - Birmingham beat

Here’s Jeff Lynne’s first band. Didn’t have th success he wanted so he moved on (I guess that was a good choice on his part). This Idle Race LP is actually quite good.

6E8EDB75-8600-47B9-9D1D-8A10D4F178B6.jpeg

Back