September 2020 Challenge Thread- The Gav-La’s

Day 5: “Box Set Weekend pt 1” - Pick one of those big box sets we never get round to playing and finally play stuff from it today....

Art Pepper - The Complete Pacific Jazz Small Group Recordings Of Art Pepper (Mosaic, 1983 First Box Set Pressing)

I actually did listen to this yesterday, so that was lucky. This isn't the biggest of the Mosaic box sets, but its one of my favourites. A fantastic set of sessions which sees Art Pepper play during his greatest period. Fantastic stuff!

IMG_1765.JPG

Day 6: “Box Set Weekend pt 2”...and tomorrow ..choose another if you made a bad choice yesterday.

Sun Ra – Egypt 1971 (Strut, 2020 RSD Limited Box Set)
Dark Myth Equation Visitation / Nature's God (Live In Egypt, Vol. 1)

...and a heavy one for today. Currently spinning the first LP and its certainly a big sound! Classic Sun Ra with intermittent conversation from the band.

IMG_1959.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG

How do you like the sound? I have that one on the way...

Just listened thru Revelations and Libertine, half way thru Drawn to the Deep End ...very impressed so far , nice and quiet , sound good to my ears, flat pressings , nice set ..I have to say Libertine is way better than I remembered it ...Mrs N also impressed which is a mark of quality

Just listened thru Revelations and Libertine, half way thru Drawn to the Deep End ...very impressed so far , nice and quiet , sound good to my ears, flat pressings , nice set ..I have to say Libertine is way better than I remembered it ...Mrs N also impressed which is a mark of quality

That's promising! I mostly remembered the 1st LP and little of the 2nd from back in the day. Thought this might me a good way to get reintroduced.

EDIT: I did listen through the albums on streaming before pulling the trigger. I have to say I quite enjoyed Libertine as well - it was definitely the most surprising to me, and probably what pushed me over the edge to buy.

That's promising! I mostly remembered the 1st LP and little of the 2nd from back in the day. Thought this might me a good way to get reintroduced.

EDIT: I did listen through the albums on streaming before pulling the trigger. I have to say I quite enjoyed Libertine as well - it was definitely the most surprising to me, and probably what pushed me over the edge to buy.

Yep , good band , a bit underrated (like U2) 😉

Day 6: “Box Set Weekend pt 2”

U2 - Achtung Baby

E7F06176-1015-4141-9E1A-383177D6811C.jpeg
One of my favorite box sets, this album sounds amazing spread out over two lp’s. And while I’m not a huge remix guy, the mixes here are on blue vinyl, cut at 45RPM and sound great. It also includes a nice lyrics book, and some fantastic pics spread out amongst the various inners and outers.

0DFFD0D0-2B45-40F9-9B06-51A869E60130.jpeg

2F5FC5E0-A348-4724-B891-2654B534F5DE.jpeg

Day 6 - Box Set Pt. 2
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker (Deluxe Edition)

It’s hard to separate the art from the artist sometimes. Ryan Adams is a tool but this album is phenomenal. It came with a dvd of a live show that I’ve never gotten around to watching.

View attachment 65049

He’s brilliant live too

Back