sad, beautiful, tragic: the n&g taylor swift thread

I haven’t had the time to really digest it yet. I’ve only listened to the standard album. It sounded like a moodier Midnights on that one listen. But also longer, everything kinda ran together. But that’s often the case when I first hear something.

Ok just sat and listened to the whole extra “disc” of songs and then spun my vinyl copy. I liked it a lot this go around. Streaming it while driving it sounded kind of flat to me, but on vinyl it really sounds absorbing.

I’m not a Swiftie by any means, but I am a fan. I think her music is good, and that’s what I’m here for. I don’t care about all the other stuff. I don’t care to decode what song is about who. But I feel like the directness of some of the tracks make that hard to escape. That said, those direct ones aren’t all bad. I actually really like the title track and how it’s all making fun of Matty Healy and even herself. Clearly she’s not taking it all too seriously.

And yet there are songs that are more what I was expecting - the serious ones, the sad ones. And those are the highlights right now for me. Not surprised to see Aaron Dessner produced most of those.

Anyway, I had fun listening to it in this sitting, and I enjoyed the bulk of it. My gripes are with a handful of things…

Florida is a good song that is almost ruined cause the chorus is bad. The Alchemy kind of just sucks? I do not like the lyrics on it at all. My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys is another one whose lyrics are kinda beaten to death for me.

Now for the poetry theme? It’s weird cause the title track suggests she clearly doesn’t think of herself as some incredible poet. But the aesthetic of the whole thing is very much the thing she’s making fun of on the track. I guess you gotta just find the one theme and stick with it though.

Ok just sat and listened to the whole extra “disc” of songs and then spun my vinyl copy. I liked it a lot this go around. Streaming it while driving it sounded kind of flat to me, but on vinyl it really sounds absorbing.

I’m not a Swiftie by any means, but I am a fan. I think her music is good, and that’s what I’m here for. I don’t care about all the other stuff. I don’t care to decode what song is about who. But I feel like the directness of some of the tracks make that hard to escape. That said, those direct ones aren’t all bad. I actually really like the title track and how it’s all making fun of Matty Healy and even herself. Clearly she’s not taking it all too seriously.

And yet there are songs that are more what I was expecting - the serious ones, the sad ones. And those are the highlights right now for me. Not surprised to see Aaron Dessner produced most of those.

Anyway, I had fun listening to it in this sitting, and I enjoyed the bulk of it. My gripes are with a handful of things…

Florida is a good song that is almost ruined cause the chorus is bad. The Alchemy kind of just sucks? I do not like the lyrics on it at all. My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys is another one whose lyrics are kinda beaten to death for me.

Now for the poetry theme? It’s weird cause the title track suggests she clearly doesn’t think of herself as some incredible poet. But the aesthetic of the whole thing is very much the thing she’s making fun of on the track. I guess you gotta just find the one theme and stick with it though.
I love Florida, mainly because I love all things Florence. I finally streamed the whole album today and think it's definitely a grower for me, in a good way.

I love Florida, mainly because I love all things Florence. I finally streamed the whole album today and think it's definitely a grower for me, in a good way.
I like the song a lot actually, I just think the chorus is incredibly weak. Florence really meshes in well though.

I'm in the Destin area of FL right now and last night I was out with a group dining and drinking and there was some kind of prom-type Taylor Swift party going on at a pier. They had tables set up, string of balloons spelling out "Swifties Eras", some kind of selfie stand, lots of young ladies in dresses, and Taylor pumping out of speakers.

I messaged a SO who is a big TS fan who I'd been chatting with about the new album earlier.

Mind you, I'm a 40 year old dude.
Screenshot_20240420-144411.png

I'm in the Destin area of FL right now and last night I was out with a group dining and drinking and there was some kind of prom-type Taylor Swift party going on at a pier. They had tables set up, string of balloons spelling out "Swifties Eras", some kind of selfie stand, lots of young ladies in dresses, and Taylor pumping out of speakers.

I messaged a SO who is a big TS fan who I'd been chatting with about the new album earlier.

Mind you, I'm a 40 year old dude.
View attachment 200810

Living in the Florida panhandle, I immediately thought “oh no” when I heard her line referencing Destin

Living in the Florida panhandle, I immediately thought “oh no” when I heard her line referencing Destin
Is there?!!! I have the album downloaded but haven't given it a listen yet.

That might make sense why on the ride home there was another bar advertising a release/TS night?

Edit: am I safe to assume it is the song called Florida?

Is there?!!! I have the album downloaded but haven't given it a listen yet.

That might make sense why on the ride home there was another bar advertising a release/TS night?

Edit: am I safe to assume it is the song called Florida?

Yeah it’s in the Florida song:

“Little did you know your home's really only
A town you're just a guest in
So you work your life away just to pay
For a time-share down in Destin”

As much as I'd love to pile on this album, Pitchfork also rated Peppa Pig higher than Daft Punk and Amy Winehouse's Back to Black, so this may be less of an indicator of a bad album and more that Pitchfork is far too high on Peppa Pig's musical skills.

Back