sad, beautiful, tragic: the n&g taylor swift thread

So I'm trying to understand how this is working. Is the second 'Archive' release completely separate from the release that millions had already pre-ordered? I just assumed it was a surprise to people who received the vinyl and/or download that there would be twice as much music as expected. But hearing this Archive requires a separate purchase? And if so, is there a physical version?
To add on to @spilledleche 's fully accurate summary, the other half of the album will presumably be a second physical purchase in the future if she releases it at all (the 3AM Midnights tracks still don't have a wax based release officially).

To add on to @spilledleche 's fully accurate summary, the other half of the album will presumably be a second physical purchase in the future if she releases it at all (the 3AM Midnights tracks still don't have a wax based release officially).
All 4 of the vinyl/collectible CD "bonus tracks" are also part of the 2nd half of the album. No idea if that makes it any more or less likely to have a standalone physical release!

Holy shit. I read a bunch of “surprise it’s a double album” posts on Reddit and thought, “makes sense. This thing is an hour long”. But, I’m learning here that the ‘double’ portion of ‘double album’ is another hour? I don’t know if I can do it.

I’m not gonna make any definitive statements, yet. But, I’ve only gotten through a half hour and then needed something different. Samey is the word I’d use. But, I’m going to play it in the background while I cook or make drinks and see if it grows on me (which is apt to happen with sullen music). Unfortunately, Midnights never quite stuck with me. We’ll see if this one has legs. If there’s one thing I know it’s that I don’t know how I really feel about music until I hear it 20 times.

Also, why the hell is the Running Like Water version of Folklore selling for $300?

Also, why the hell is the Running Like Water version of Folklore selling for $300?

It's best to ignore the stupid amounts of money that Taylor Swift fandom is willing to spend on her releases through resale.

The median prices her "rarer" vinyl releases sell for are dumb. The max prices they sell for are even more ridiculous.

uF9Fmi9.png

Last edited:
It's best to ignore the stupid amounts of money that Taylor Swift fandom is willing to spend on her releases through resale.

The median prices her "rarer" vinyl releases sell for are dumb. The max prices they sell for are even more ridiculous.

uF9Fmi9.png
I remember seeing 1989 on RSD that year and thinking nah, I already have the black version. Doh! At least I grabbed the RSD version of Red.

I've still only heard the album in full once and haven't gotten to the Anthology tracks yet, but the standard version is my least favourite album of hers since Reputation. It goes on a bit too long & there's only one song ("I Can Fix Him") that I've gone back to.

I appreciate her introducing me to The Blue Nile tho.

Anyone picking up on some huge vocal influences from Lana Del Rey on this? Fortnight and Florida for starters, but I've only made it a third of the way through. Obviously, Lana and Taylor are friends, but I'm surprised at how much she's rubbing off on her. And to be fair, this is not a bad thing in the slightest.

I expected to like it a lot less than I did based on the commentary I’ve been seeing today. I like it more than I did Midnights on my first listen for sure
I was there with a quarter run through doing errands this morning.

Having finished my first run all the way through, I actually love it. It’s complicated and messy, therefore human and real.

It feels like an artist that has been blown out of proportion reclaiming herself. And unlike Midnights which only was smart in playing fan service and as a tee up for the Eras tour, it is smart as hell.

I do think that The Alchemy is too damn clever for its own good.

It also feels like the perfect synthesis of her pop sensibilities and the sound she was able to achieve in Evermore and Folklore.

At its heart, it isn’t a pop album though (not in the sense that it is banger after banger), it’s artsy and uncomfortable and I imagine people will bristle at it.

Back