Rock, Alt-Rock, Indie Rock, Psych Rock, Shoegaze, Punk, Noise Rock, Emocore, etc.

You all may have seen me posting this in the last place, PIF thread this AM, as well as in the "what needs to be repressed thread", but here it is again. One of my favorite most slept on releases from 2018 Mild Orange - Foreplay

Super cool indie rock group from New Zealand. Apparently they pressed 150 or 300 vinyl of this back in the day and I missed out. Now they're going for 150+ on cogs.

Enjoy and wish with me that one day we can spin this gem

The new Floating Action record is v good.

Reactions: oak
Hey everyone! I’ve been wanting to get into shoegaze. Any recommendations for albums to start with? Also what mindset should I have while listening? As in should I be paying attention, zone out, focus on lyrics or the general mood?

Hey everyone! I’ve been wanting to get into shoegaze. Any recommendations for albums to start with? Also what mindset should I have while listening? As in should I be paying attention, zone out, focus on lyrics or the general mood?
Depends on what type of shoegaze you're into I guess. I think my bloody valentine - loveless Is perfection. Many people hold Souvlaki by Slowdive up there as top two but for some reason it has never really clicked with me. Ride - Nowhere is amazing as well.

Edit: For your last question I'd say all three work just like for any good music but some My Bloody Valentine at least you will have a hard time if you are trying to understand all the lyrics!

Last edited:
Aside from the classics already mentioned, some more recent artists keeping the style fresh are Chasms, Butterfly Explosion, Gingerlys, Title Fight (album Hyperview), Nothing (a bit heavier with a grungey influence on their earlier material).

Also been digging the new output from Tennis System, The Daysleepers and Be Forest.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread (I didn't find a dedicated one).
I'm looking to replace my crackly OG The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, is there a specific reissue I should look for?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread (I didn't find a dedicated one).
I'm looking to replace my crackly OG The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, is there a specific reissue I should look for?
Yeah, this is the wrong thread, but I have this version and it’s pretty great to my ears.

Some stuff I've been digging recently:

- Japanese instrumental post-rock/emo

- NYC rock/punk/indie - sounds a lot like Parquet Courts

- Traditional Korean sounds blended with experimental/post-rock/metal/noise

- Super catchy garage/surf rock

- Ferocious UK punk/hardcore

New TFS video.

Edit: This is really great. One of the rare tracks with no Gareth vocals and maybe my favorite of the singles so far. Some awesome beach paddle jamming in this video!

Last edited:
New TFS video.

Edit: This is really great. One of the rare tracks with no Gareth vocals and maybe my favorite of the singles so far. Some awesome beach paddle jamming in this video!

Like this, seeking this out. Does she sing on the first album at all too?

I don't think so. Lots of prominent harmonies and background along with Fiona (bassist from the drones).

Just learned she fronts a band that released an album last year called MOD CON though.

A ha, so Gareth Liddiard of TFS produced this album. This is very good, appreciate the post! It seems like a lot of good punk sounds are coming right now from Australia. Is there anyone from there on N&G who could give us the word on other rising punk bands besides Amyl and the Sniffers, Stiff Richard, Hussy, and Dumb Punts? Is there a good mail order store there that specializes in punk?
By the way, just saw Amyl and the band live this week and they were incredible.

Back