RIP MF DOOM

For my sins, MF DOOM was one of those names that I knew about but never heard. Listening to Madvillany for the first time tonight.

Fuck me, it's good.

RIP.
It’s my absolute favourite album of all-time! Listed at #1 on my list of 50 greatest albums of all-time on the N&G list and was so genuinely so keen to see where it was going to land on the list! ❤️
18070D89-2703-4448-A87B-B11EBFE28E4B.jpeg

I remember the day he bought Born Like This and played it. Was a turning point for us listening to modern hip hop. The guy was amazing
It’s such a great album! I can’t wait to spin it and enjoy it! 🔥

That’s so beautiful your remember that memory! And that it was a turning point for you listening to modern hip-hop! So precious! ♥️

It’s such a great album! I can’t wait to spin it and enjoy it! 🔥

That’s so beautiful your remember that memory! And that it was a turning point for you listening to modern hip-hop! So precious! ♥️
True but I have memories of all sort of music related things but find it hard to remember birthdays, etc. Remember the day very clearly he bought room as we also picked up a record by Rancid and a Skepta album. Keep him going that he discovered Skepta.

It’s my absolute favourite album of all-time! Listed at #1 on my list of 50 greatest albums of all-time on the N&G list and was so genuinely so keen to see where it was going to land on the list! ❤️
View attachment 82064
Good to see the dream palace Nathan. A fitting tribute to Madvillany though. Such a great album:

I saw KMD in September of 1992 at the Legends club at Appalachian State University. HardCORPs opened up which was a weird Metal/Rap group with a minor hit with a cover of “Back in Black”. KMD was next. Nikki D did a set and then 3rd Bass. It was a pretty cool show. DOOM had been a part of my life since then. RIP

Doom was an artist's artist, a true visionary. I'll be grateful to be able to enjoy his art untill I join him. He will be appreciated for many years by many people. Much love to anyone who is hurting right now. May the new year be better for everyone!

Ha! Someone...is apparently qtip. That's what I get for reading twitter while drinking.

He was also Open Mike Eagle's favorite. If anyone listened to the OME / Prince Paul podcast (I love this whole podcast... all of my friends are so sick of me talking about it), they talked about Doom's beginnings on episode 8. Paul met him in 1989, and he talks about growing up and working with him. It starts at around 19 minutes here, and is worth a listen for anyone that's interested: What Had Happened Was | Starburns Audio

I think Tj. put it well. An artist's artist.

This NYer article by Ta-Nehisi Coates is also a good read. The Mask of Doom.

RIP.

Since the news I felt compelled to beef my DOOM vinyl collection that I've been neglecting. Added Operation Doomsday the other day and just grabbed Mouse and The Mask and Born Like This off his Bandcamp (already have MM...Food and Vaudeville Villain). Feel a bit nerdy being the cliche and buying when he dies but at least happy I'm finally making the plunge. Just wish it was under better circumstances.

Since the news I felt compelled to beef my DOOM vinyl collection that I've been neglecting. Added Operation Doomsday the other day and just grabbed Mouse and The Mask and Born Like This off his Bandcamp (already have MM...Food and Vaudeville Villain). Feel a bit nerdy being the cliche and buying when he dies but at least happy I'm finally making the plunge. Just wish it was under better circumstances.
I am glad there is enough product to go around. Lots of time when something unfortunate and surprising happens some try to capitalize on others sadness. It’s good that al lot of dooms catalogs is still readily available at retail. I hope his family get a large chunk of the profits.

I already had most of his stuff on either CD or vinyl (or both), except for JJ DOOM and Born Like This. So I grabbed those on vinyl, and grabbed a vinyl copy of Operation Doomsday.

I am glad there is enough product to go around. Lots of time when something unfortunate and surprising happens some try to capitalize on others sadness. It’s good that al lot of dooms catalogs is still readily available at retail. I hope his family get a large chunk of the profits.

Yeah the stuff on his Bandcamp is preorders sending in February so wonder if his family / people in charge got stuff ready in advance of informing the public??

I already had most of his stuff on either CD or vinyl (or both), except for JJ DOOM and Born Like This. So I grabbed those on vinyl, and grabbed a vinyl copy of Operation Doomsday.

I'm not all that familiar with his JJ Doom stuff actually so I'll have to check that out. But figured I spent enough for now with the 3 😬🤣

Back