Rega Planar 3 turntable + Rega Exact 2 cartridge = Perfect match???

That’s a lot of money for a p3, that’s p6 money
The P3 is $945 here or $1145 with the shitty Elys2. The P6 is a shade over $1500 or $1995 with the Exact2. Way overpriced. Want too see something scary? Google “Rega P6 Plinth Sag”. Overpriced and they’ve had some P6 samples sink in the middle.

The P3 is $945 here or $1145 with the shitty Elys2. The P6 is a shade over $1500 or $1995 with the Exact2. Way overpriced. Want too see something scary? Google “Rega P6 Plinth Sag”. Overpriced and they’ve had some P6 samples sink in the middle.

Yeah I knew paid a similar price for each as we do for the next model up. I hadn’t heard that about the p6, that’s horrifying! When all is said and done though the only Rega tables that find interesting are the new P8 and P10 with their funky skeletal plinth.

As @Joe Mac said, the P3 is a lousy value proposition in the US. And as you said, the arm has no adjustments to allow one to get the mist of their cartridge. Add a spacer or VTA height adjuster- that’s it. No azimuth is possible save for wedging a bit of card stock between the cartridge and headshell. I’d not recommend a Rega for a US buyer. In the UK, at least they cost what they should for what they are.
Wow that's surprisingly harsh when most websites in the us and UK claim is the best turntable for the money because of that tonearm sound quality (and the elys cartridge). Though from what it seems you have a certain specific opinion from certain hifi sites (not meant to be a criticism but you certainly have a different opinion than a lot of hifi sites, at least in the negativity)

Last edited:
Wow that's surprisingly harsh when most websites in the us and UK claim is the best turntable for the money because of that tonearm sound quality (and the elys cartridge). Though from what it seems you have a certain specific opinion from certain hifi sites (not meant to be a criticism but you certainly have a different opinion than a lot of hifi sites, at least in the negativity)
Check around. No one likes the Elys2. It’s bland.

As far as me not liking what others may- and I mean may- I’m not beholden to ad revenue nor do I really care what anyone thinks. I do hope that people that follow my advice love what they bought. And I don’t recommend anything that I wouldn’t own myself. I’m just sharing 4 decades of experience with 1 decade in retail sales and 5 as a professional reviewer (which I walked away from for obvious reasons.)

As far as me not liking what others may- and I mean may- I’m not beholden to ad revenue nor do I really care what anyone thinks. I do hope that people that follow my advice love what they bought. And I don’t recommend anything that I wouldn’t own myself.
Quick Google search through Steve Hoffman and vinyl engine and not finding much (mostly decent pairing and good value), and more professional places like audio advice, music direct, and CNET (ignoring whathifi since there are probably claims of bias).

Sorry i don't want to cause any conflict, it just seems you more openly disagree with their price and specific sound as you prefer things like a pioneer plx1000, a moving iron cartridge, and a mofi studiodeck, and that's fine, I'm just planning my own stance

Quick Google search through Steve Hoffman and vinyl engine and not finding much (mostly decent pairing and good value), and more professional places like audio advice, music direct, and CNET (ignoring whathifi since there are probably claims of bias).

Sorry i don't want to cause any conflict, it just seems you more openly disagree with their price and specific sound as you prefer things like a pioneer plx1000, a moving iron cartridge, and a mofi studiodeck, and that's fine, I'm just planning my own stance
That’s fine. All I’m pointing out is that some of the best sellers aren’t the best values. And I have nothing against any type of cartridge, as long as it sounds good. I will hang my hat on my preference for the Ortofon 2m Blue (if one must) and that the Red and Bronze suck (and the Bronze being overhyped and overpriced).

The Studiodeck does have a lot of advantages over the P3 though if you compare. And this coming from someone who has owned 2 Regas. The MoFi is simply a better product.

I mean think what you want. Different people like different sound profiles and features etc. For example while I have no doubt that it’s excellent a mofi turntable wouldn’t be something I’d personally consider, it doesn’t have all the options I’d want and it doesn’t please me aesthetically and this is such a good time to buy that there are other excellent options at the same price.

But how you can even remotely defend them at that price point is insane. I don’t think anyone would say that a P3 is a terrible buy at the U.K. price of £500-600 dependent on options. But to say it’s a good price at $900-1500 which in its home territory would buy you a P6 is just plain nuts.

The Studiodeck does have a lot of advantages over the P3 though if you compare. And this coming from someone who has owned 2 Regas. The MoFi is simply a better product.
I mean the studiodeck is one of the 3 options im thinking of, that, the rega, and the project X1. I did watch hifi vinyl news' video on studio deck Vs rega and it ended up a tie as both were very good sounding (with the rega being better in bass but I didn't notice it compared to say when it was the rega P1 vs project debut carbon) but mofi was better in the appearance and upgradability unless you tweak a lot (I don't).

But how you can even remotely defend them at that price point is insane. I don’t think anyone would say that a P3 is a terrible buy at the U.K. price of £500-600 dependent on options. But to say it’s a good price at $900-1500 which in its home territory would buy you a P6 is just plain nuts.
Yeah I agree the import cost is too much.. I'm just saying that if people think it's worth that much, ok.. I don't really know if I'd want one at that price anyway.. I just know it looks nice in red and is respected

I mean the studiodeck is one of the 3 options im thinking of, that, the rega, and the project X1. I did watch hifi vinyl news' video on studio deck Vs rega and it ended up a tie as both were very good sounding (with the rega being better in bass but I didn't notice it compared to say when it was the rega P1 vs project debut carbon) but mofi was better in the appearance and upgradability unless you tweak a lot (I don't).

Yeah I agree the import cost is too much.. I'm just saying that if people think it's worth that much, ok.. I don't really know if I'd want one at that price anyway.. I just know it looks nice in red and is respected

Oh it’s a nice respected table no doubt, it wins awards over here in its uk price range but it’s fighting way out of its depth at the US price. You can a lot better with the same money.

Oh it’s a nice respected table no doubt, it wins awards over here in its uk price range but it’s fighting way out of its depth at the US price. You can a lot better with the same money.
Hence why the X1 and the studiodeck are also on my list

As far as me not liking what others may- and I mean may- I’m not beholden to ad revenue nor do I really care what anyone thinks. I do hope that people that follow my advice love what they bought. And I don’t recommend anything that I wouldn’t own myself. I’m just sharing 4 decades of experience with 1 decade in retail sales and 5 as a professional reviewer (which I walked away from for obvious reasons.)
I honestly have no qualms with the Elys2. Tracks well, no IGD, and sounds good to me. I do EQ it slightly, but I'd probably do that with any cart. Not sure why everyone hates on that cart, but doesn't hate on Regas running fast and spinning at 35 rpm and 46 rpm, even with the TTPSU.

I honestly have no qualms with the Elys2. Tracks well, no IGD, and sounds good to me. I do EQ it slightly, but I'd probably do that with any cart. Not sure why everyone hates on that cart, but doesn't hate on Regas running fast and spinning at 35 rpm and 46 rpm, even with the TTPSU.
Agreed on Regas running fast. The new PSU will allow fine speed adjustment though. The old TTPSU didn’t.

That’s fine. All I’m pointing out is that some of the best sellers aren’t the best values. And I have nothing against any type of cartridge, as long as it sounds good. I will hang my hat on my preference for the Ortofon 2m Blue (if one must) and that the Red and Bronze suck (and the Bronze being overhyped and overpriced).

I have the bronze and it sounds fine, tracks great...BUT I’m not blown away at how it sounds. I don’t even think I hear a real difference compared to the Concept MM V2 I had previously, despite being almost twice as expensive (I didn’t pay the bronze full retail price). The stylus swap and easy install is great though!

You've just scared me right off upgradi g to a P6!
Only leaves the MoFi Ultradeck or Technics 1200G as options. In my head at least.

For what my humble opinion is worth, I love my P3 but no way I'd pay the US dollar price equivalent.
Can't comment on the Elys but I read lots of reviews and thought the Exact was the better option. Sounds really good. And now I'm a little more experienced and starting to upgrade gear thought it was time to try other makes of carts.
I think the Rega P3 is great starter for someone looking to get into vinyl. Put it with a Pho 8 and some decent speakers you can have something that will easily last years for around £1000.

You've just scared me right off upgradi g to a P6!
Only leaves the MoFi Ultradeck or Technics 1200G as options. In my head at least.

Have a look at the funk firm LSD too with you being in Britain! I’d love one of them and the price for the base model is in and around those others.

Funknfirm are on my naughty list mate.
Bought the achromatic beginning of Dec and I'm still bloody waiting.
Petty of me, I know, but until it arrives they won't be getting a Christmas card!🤣🤣

Back