Rega Planar 3 turntable + Rega Exact 2 cartridge = Perfect match???

Don't forget you need an arm spacer too. Think they're only a couple of quid though. Something a bit like this below (depending on your arm). Also nothing to worry about. 3 screws out tone arm off, fit the spacer, tone arm on 3 screws back in. I watched a YouTube vid while doing mine when I changed from rega carts.

Don't forget you need an arm spacer too. Think they're only a couple of quid though. Something a bit like this below (depending on your arm). Also nothing to worry about. 3 screws out tone arm off, fit the spacer, tone arm on 3 screws back in. I watched a YouTube vid while doing mine when I changed from rega carts.

Thanks, this helps heaps! I didn't even know places made spacers particularly for the Rega Planar 3! I'll also watch YouTube videos on how people change a cartridge and stylus as I've never done it before. Thanks again for that link, it's wonderful! (y)😘

yeah, I've heard great stuff about the Grado cartridges too! I think I'm gonna go for either a Rega Exact 2 or the Nagaoka MP-200. But after you describing the Grado cartridge you have, it sounds like something that is right up my alley! I like the warmer, natural sound too! And knowing the Grado fits that is really satisfying to know!

I'll do my research on what people's experiences are on the Steve Hoffman forums with Grado cartridges who have a Rega Planar 3 turntable/any Rega turntable!

Just to confirm Joe, it's the GRADO PRESTIGE GOLD 2 cartridge we are talking about? I can get it for AUD$379 here including shipping, so I'm very happy with that price point as the Rega Exact 2 cartridge is AUD$539!

I loved my prestige gold2, just recently upgraded to the Timbre Opus3, but the Prestige Gold3 is supposedly a big jump up from the 2. Don’t know if it’s available outside the states yet though. Again I’m not sure how compatible they are with rega, I’m running a completely different turntable. Nagaoka are made to a similar philosophy and are known to pair well with regas.

I loved my prestige gold2, just recently upgraded to the Timbre Opus3, but the Prestige Gold3 is supposedly a big jump up from the 2. Don’t know if it’s available outside the states yet though. Again I’m not sure how compatible they are with rega, I’m running a completely different turntable. Nagaoka are made to a similar philosophy and are known to pair well with regas.
WOW, I'm doing some research on the Grado Opus 3 Timbre cartridge and it's really good looking! I love the wood/timber look of it to start off with! It's hand-built in Brooklyn and has 'extreme precision'. It seems like a freaking amazing cartridge! 😍🎯

I was so overwhelmed though with all the different options for when you want to buy a Grado Opus 3 Timbre cartridge though! They have Stereo High Output. Mono High Output and Stereo Low Output/Mono Low Output! SO OVERWHELMING! Like, I would not know which one to even choose! 🤔 😅🤪

WOW, I'm doing some research on the Grado Opus 3 Timbre cartridge and it's really good looking! I love the wood/timber look of it to start off with! It's hand-built in Brooklyn and has 'extreme precision'. It seems like a freaking amazing cartridge! 😍🎯

I was so overwhelmed though with all the different options for when you want to buy a Grado Opus 3 Timbre cartridge though! They have Stereo High Output. Mono High Output and Stereo Low Output/Mono Low Output! SO OVERWHELMING! Like, I would not know which one to even choose! 🤔 😅🤪

I have stereo low output but only because my phono stage is able to work with the low output, for built ins and phono stages that aren’t as versatile you’d be looking at the stereo high voltage.

PS: Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

I have stereo low output but only because my phono stage is able to work with the low output, for built ins and phono stages that aren’t as versatile you’d be looking at the stereo high voltage.
ahhhh that makes so much sense! My pre-amp is built into my amplifier as I have a Rega Brio! I'd obviously do my research but I think I would be getting a 'High' Output cartridge if I was looking at that particular cartridge then! I'd probably also go for Stereo too. I think the Grado Opus 3 Timbre cartridge is definitely a cartridge I'd like to try in my lifetime, within the next 10 years actually! It seems totally unique!

I'm starting to fall in love with the Grado cartridges already just from researching them on the Grado Labs site! Nagaoka and Grado both seem like companies that they do wonderful cartridges!

@HiFi Guy - Are you also a big fan of the Grado cartridges as well as the Nagaoka ones! They seem like they produce precise, stunning sound! So happy I'm never going to purchase an Ortofon even though they are detailed; I know they aren't for me!

ahhhh that makes so much sense! My pre-amp is built into my amplifier as I have a Rega Brio! I'd obviously do my research but I think I would be getting a 'High' Output cartridge if I was looking at that particular cartridge then! I'd probably also go for Stereo too. I think the Grado Opus 3 Timbre cartridge is definitely a cartridge I'd like to try in my lifetime, within the next 10 years actually! It seems totally unique!

I'm starting to fall in love with the Grado cartridges already just from researching them on the Grado Labs site! Nagaoka and Grado both seem like companies that they do wonderful cartridges!

@HiFi Guy - Are you also a big fan of the Grado cartridges as well as the Nagaoka ones! They seem like they produce precise, stunning sound! So happy I'm never going to purchase an Ortofon even though they are detailed; I know they aren't for me!

where do you think I heard of them lol! Again, I’ll stress do some research or ask around before you buy, grado’s may not necessarily be the right cartridge for a rega turntable!

where do you think I heard of them lol! Again, I’ll stress do some research or ask around before you buy, grado’s may not necessarily be the right cartridge for a rega turntable!
Yeah, I’ll definitely do my research before buying them! I’m 100% set on the Nagaoka’s and may still buy the Rega Exact 2 just because I know it will be a much bigger improvement over the Elys, and it pairs well with the Rega Planar 3 ! Also, was nice to hear Rowan confirm he really liked the Rega Exact 2!

But yeah, 100% will do my research and even if the Grado cartridges doesn’t pair well with any of the Rega turntables/tonearms, I’ll probably switch/upgrade my whole set up when I’m in my 30’s! 😊

Yeah, I’ll definitely do my research before buying them! I’m 100% set on the Nagaoka’s and may still buy the Rega Exact 2 just because I know it will be a much bigger improvement over the Elys, and it pairs well with the Rega Planar 3 ! Also, was nice to hear Rowan confirm he really liked the Rega Exact 2!

But yeah, 100% will do my research and even if the Grado cartridges doesn’t pair well with any of the Rega turntables/tonearms, I’ll probably switch/upgrade my whole set up when I’m in my 30’s! 😊

Or you could go for a Nagaoka and spend the Exact cash on a Groovetracer sub platter (if you haven't already picked one up). They're probably about the same price

The Grado will be a no go for you. They hum on Rega turntables, worse as the arm reaches the inner grooves. The Nagaoka that @Rowan recommended will be a good move.

Also, I think I’m going to like @Rowan. Welcome. Neither of us like the Ortofon 2m Bronze. 😁

Or you could go for a Nagaoka and spend the Exact cash on a Groovetracer sub platter (if you haven't already picked one up). They're probably about the same price
I did get a Groovetracer Sub platter and a groove tracer platter too! I just did that because I know it would improve the performance!

What I want to grab next is an isolation platform for my turntable! @Joe Mac was the one who made me aware of them! They’re not too pricey too! I’ve got isolation pads for my bookshelf speakers, only thing I’m missing is literally an isolation platform for my turntable!

If I get an isolation platform for my Rega Planar 3, and then a Nagaoka MP-200/Rega Exact 2 cartridge, my setup will be amazing, for a setup that’s not fancy!

I did get a Groovetracer Sub platter and a groove tracer platter too! I just did that because I know it would improve the performance!

What I want to grab next is an isolation platform for my turntable! @Joe Mac was the one who made me aware of them! They’re not too pricey too! I’ve got isolation pads for my bookshelf speakers, only thing I’m missing is literally an isolation platform for my turntable!

If I get an isolation platform for my Rega Planar 3, and then a Nagaoka MP-200/Rega Exact 2 cartridge, my setup will be amazing, for a setup that’s not fancy!

It’s not unfancy (not a word I know) either, it’s a decent table and I’ve found you match the right things to these entry level audiophile tables that they can provide much more than one might expect from the price tag!

It’s not unfancy (not a word I know) either, it’s a decent table and I’ve found you match the right things to these entry level audiophile tables that they can provide much more than one might expect from the price tag!

Totally. Great tone arm to start with and once the subplatter has been upgraded and the external power supply added then, with decent cartridge matching, it's a great table. I've found I've no desire to look past my modded RP3 where as most my other bits of set up have been through at least one review.

I always stuck with the glass platter and felt though. I kinda like it

Totally. Great tone arm to start with and once the subplatter has been upgraded and the external power supply added then, with decent cartridge matching, it's a great table. I've found I've no desire to look past my modded RP3 where as most my other bits of set up have been through at least one review.

I always stuck with the glass platter and felt though. I kinda like it

Similar with my pro-ject, good tonearm and I like the acrylic platter. Upgraded the power supply and sub platter and with the Grado Opus3 on it I have no intention of moving from it in the medium term, very happy with how it sounds in my system.

Yeah, pairing is so important, makes a huge difference! Honestly though, the quality of a pressing is the #1 difference in my opinion! Like when I put on a MoFi, Speakers Corner, AP, just a really quality pressing, it just sounds amazing! Really hear the difference between a good and a great pressing!

I have a Rega RP40 with an Elys2 cart. I think it sounds pretty good. Once that cart goes, I'm going to upgrade to an Exact 2. What I've found is the Exact is $500 here in the US. But if you import it from sellers in the UK, like Analogue Seduction, you can get one for about $325. Might be worth looking into.

Also, a lot of people have said really good things about Hana cartridges on Regas.

I love the sound of my P3 with Exact 2 cart.
Admittedly I haven't tried another cart yet, as TT is only 2 years old, but I'd either go with a Nagoka or up to an Ania and stay with Rega.

@HiFi Guy @Rowan - Sorry to annoy you guys but I’m having trouble changing/trying to swap out my Elys 2 cartridge to the Exact Rega MM cartridge! I’ve taken out the 4 coloured cables, but cannot remove those 3 screws mounted into the Elys 2! I even got my Dad who is a technician to try and remove those 3 screws mounted in and he tried undoing the screws with pliers and used different flathead screws and nothing worked!

How did you guys remove those three screws!?! I’ve watched videos of people unscrewing their bolts in the cartridge but they are all different cartridges; I can’t find a video where someone is unscrewing a cartridge on a Rega Planar 3 tonearm!

I’m playing around with them so much that I’ve probably damaged the tonearm in some way. I’m going to have to really make sure everything is aligned correctly one my Rega Exact MM cartridge is fitted on nicely! 🧐

Here are some pictures of the 3 screws mounted into the Elys 2 that I cannot seem to unscrew. Thank you! 😘🙏

PS - I hate how non-user friendly the Planar 3 is in general and kinda wish I never got Rega! 🤦‍♂️

3BDAC7C0-9814-4483-9884-867EDE1553D4.jpeg5319CEC2-F8C6-438C-B9EA-3A4B47B7B44C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back