Rega Planar 3 turntable + Rega Exact 2 cartridge = Perfect match???

@Mrjay07 has just done this on his table so might be able to give you a steer for the removal. I'm not sure why your cart has been installed with the bolts at the top. So you need to get underneath the cart though and unscrew as opposed to taking the bolts off at the top. If you can't get under there with any real clearance you're going to have to either get a shorter screw driver or take the tone arm off. It's not a difficult job so don't panic.

If you need to take off the tone arm off then get on youtube as this is from memory. Tip the table upside down (remember to secure the tone arm first), You are taking the RCA adaptors out too. It's one piece. Don't try to disconnect that cable from the tone arm! Remove the screws that pin the RCA cable to the bottom of the deck. Once the cable is entirely free and is hanging from the hole under the table (still attached to the tone arm) put the table the right way round.

There are 3 screws that attach the tone arm mount to the deck. Unscrew them. If you still have your tone arm secured then unsecure it. It should come off and the RCA cable should through a hole that was previously covered by the arm mount. Once the arm is off then you can get underneath to loosen the screws. When you put the new cart on put the screws at the top and nuts at the bottom.

Or... if there is a local dealer near you get them to do it.

@Mrjay07 has just done this on his table so might be able to give you a steer for the removal. I'm not sure why your cart has been installed with the bolts at the top. So you need to get underneath the cart though and unscrew as opposed to taking the bolts off at the top. If you can't get under there with any real clearance you're going to have to either get a shorter screw driver or take the tone arm off. It's not a difficult job so don't panic.

If you need to take off the tone arm off then get on youtube as this is from memory. Tip the table upside down (remember to secure the tone arm first), You are taking the RCA adaptors out too. It's one piece. Don't try to disconnect that cable from the tone arm! Remove the screws that pin the RCA cable to the bottom of the deck. Once the cable is entirely free and is hanging from the hole under the table (still attached to the tone arm) put the table the right way round.

There are 3 screws that attach the tone arm mount to the deck. Unscrew them. If you still have your tone arm secured then unsecure it. It should come off and the RCA cable should through a hole that was previously covered by the arm mount. Once the arm is off then you can get underneath to loosen the screws. When you put the new cart on put the screws at the top and nuts at the bottom.

Or... if there is a local dealer near you get them to do it.
Thanks Rowan! That info you just gave was really helpful! I’ll definitely try and get underneath and will try to unscrew those bolts from underneath the cartridge instead of on top of the cartridge!

I’ll definitely watch a video on YouTube of someone removing the tonearm on their Rega Planar if I need to remove it!

I’ll try both of these with my Dad tomorrow. My Dad is going to show those pictures to the other technicians at work and see what they think/should do with trying to unscrew those bolts on the tonearm/Elys 2 cartridge!

I just hope it goes all well! 🤞

Thanks again for the advice Rowan! 😊

You'll need an aln key to get the front one off to I think

That's them. I'm trying to remember whether the screws underneath had the same ends.
Awesome, thank you! I’ll definitely grab a set of those hex keys: one of those sizes will definitely do the job of getting that middle front bolt unscrewed! I’ll get my dad to play around with the bolts using the hex keys! I have a really good feeling now! :)

I’ll definitely play around and will try unscrewing the bolts from the bottom using these hex keys as well!

I want to try and do this myself (changing the cartridge) so then next time I swap out a cartridge, I have a better understanding of doing it the next time I need to change cartridges, especially as I think I’ll be listening to vinyl for the rest of my life!

@HiFi Guy @Rowan - Sorry to annoy you guys but I’m having trouble changing/trying to swap out my Elys 2 cartridge to the Exact Rega MM cartridge! I’ve taken out the 4 coloured cables, but cannot remove those 3 screws mounted into the Elys 2! I even got my Dad who is a technician to try and remove those 3 screws mounted in and he tried undoing the screws with pliers and used different flathead screws and nothing worked!

How did you guys remove those three screws!?! I’ve watched videos of people unscrewing their bolts in the cartridge but they are all different cartridges; I can’t find a video where someone is unscrewing a cartridge on a Rega Planar 3 tonearm!

I’m playing around with them so much that I’ve probably damaged the tonearm in some way. I’m going to have to really make sure everything is aligned correctly one my Rega Exact MM cartridge is fitted on nicely! 🧐

Here are some pictures of the 3 screws mounted into the Elys 2 that I cannot seem to unscrew. Thank you! 😘🙏

PS - I hate how non-user friendly the Planar 3 is in general and kinda wish I never got Rega! 🤦‍♂️

View attachment 83300View attachment 83301
Take out front bolt with hex key. Then grab top nut with needle nose pliers. Put hex key in screw head on bottom side of cartridge. Either unscrew the nut with the needle nose, or unscrew the bolt while holding needle nose steady around the nut. Repeat. Should take but a few minutes.

Last edited:
Take out front bolt with hex key. Then grab top nut with needle nose pliers. Put hex key in screw head on bottom side of cartridge. Either unscrew the nut with the needle nose, or unscrew the bolt while holding needle nose steady around the nut. Repeat. Should take but a few minutes.
When you say “put hex key in screw head on bottom side of cartridge”, are you saying that I put the hex key at the bottom of the bolt, and then try and unscrew it, whilst holding the top of that same bolt with the needle-nose pliers?

I’ll probably try and unscrew the bolt from the bottom first using the hex keys, whilst holding the top of the bolt with the pliers (like you said).

Thanks for the advice! I’m definitely feeling confident now about unscrewing the bolts and changing my cartridge! 👍

I can’t wait until it’s all finished! It’s so complicating for me! 😆

When you say “put hex key in screw head on bottom side of cartridge”, are you saying that I put the hex key at the bottom of the bolt, and then try and unscrew it, whilst holding the top of that same bolt with the needle-nose pliers?

I’ll probably try and unscrew the bolt from the bottom first using the hex keys, whilst holding the top of the bolt with the pliers (like you said).

Thanks for the advice! I’m definitely feeling confident now about unscrewing the bolts and changing my cartridge! 👍

I can’t wait until it’s all finished! It’s so complicating for me! 😆
Yes, unscrew the bolt from the bottom. It'll be the same sized hex key as the bolt on the top in the front. Also, you may not even need the needle nose because the nuts are in recessed channels on the tonearm head, so when you unscrew the screw the nuts won't spin.

Yes, unscrew the bolt from the bottom. It'll be the same sized hex key as the bolt on the top in the front. Also, you may not even need the needle nose because the nuts are in recessed channels on the tonearm head, so when you unscrew the screw the nuts won't spin.
This information was so helpful! It’s awesome to know the bottom of the two side bolts are the same size as the top of the middle front bolt! ✅

I’m going to buy some hex keys tonight, and then will get my Dad to do the work and I’ll be back to spinning in no time! 🙌

Thanks again! 😁😘

Ok. So I tried changing the the cartridge and it was a disaster. I broke the red cable when trying to put back the cable into the cartridge. Like my Dad removed it and it snapped so now I have to either get that fixed or get a new tonearm! 😭😭😭

@HiFi Guy - Do you know what to do when you break a cable on the tonearm? Like should I go to Rega repairer or will I have to get a complete new tonearm? 👀

I think I’m just going to get the Rega dealer to change the cartridge for me as I’m scared I’m going to break another cable if I do it myself haha 😶

Devastated but oh well, at least I tried! 😆🤷‍♂️

Has anyone else her broke a cable whilst trying to change their cartridge?

Ok. So I tried changing the the cartridge and it was a disaster. I broke the red cable when trying to put back the cable into the cartridge. Like my Dad removed it and it snapped so now I have to either get that fixed or get a new tonearm! 😭😭😭

@HiFi Guy - Do you know what to do when you break a cable on the tonearm? Like should I go to Rega repairer or will I have to get a complete new tonearm? 👀

I think I’m just going to get the Rega dealer to change the cartridge for me as I’m scared I’m going to break another cable if I do it myself haha 😶

Hopefully it can be fixed. One of the reasons I mentioned not separating the rca cables was because I actually did that fitting a spacer. Totally snapped them off and after a few weeks with the dealer the arm came back good as new so don't panic just yet.

But if you're ever upgrading to a new table take a good look at the Technics 1200/1210GR. Removable headshells are the greatest!

A tech can often solder the wire back together. Worst case, the arm can be re wired. You won’t need a new arm. Relax. You aren’t the first person this has happened to, and you won’t be the last.

Hopefully it can be fixed. One of the reasons I mentioned not separating the rca cables was because I actually did that fitting a spacer. Totally snapped them off and after a few weeks with the dealer the arm came back good as new so don't panic just yet.

But if you're ever upgrading to a new table take a good look at the Technics 1200/1210GR. Removable headshells are the greatest!
How much did it cost for you to get yours repaired? Just out of curiosity? 🤔

Does the Technics 1200/1210GR not have cables!?! OMG, I NEED IT! 😂

I cannot wait to get a new turntable in the future but I think I won’t be getting one until I’m in my 30’s. I’m moving out of home literally next week and I really want to go to Sardinia and back to Crete by the time I’m 30 and I really want to do the Andalusian region in Spain within the next 5 years too lol

I’m going to call a lot of different places and see what they can do with the wires in the tonearm. When I bring in my turntable for the tonearm to get fixed, I’m going to get the dealership to install the Rega exact cartridge too. Hopefully they can align it all. I’m happy to pay a lot of money to get that all done for me :)

A tech can often solder the wire back together. Worst case, the arm can be re wired. You won’t need a new arm. Relax. You aren’t the first person this has happened to, and you won’t be the last.
That’s good to know the arm can be rewired! So I’m guessing it won’t cost a fortune then! Thanks, I feel so much better now! 😊

I should’ve just gotten a professional to change my cartridge for me! The videos look so easy though, but it’s actually so difficult changing a cartridge (like unscrewing the bolts etc). This is one of the many reasons why I want a vinyl boyfriend! 😭🙊

Also, I hope I can bring in the turntable by sometime Thursday and get it repaired and picked up on Friday because I’m so keen to spin vinyl! I haven’t listened to vinyl in a over a week! 😖

I actually can’t right now! Vinyl is such a complicated, costly, fine detailed, delicate, confusing, always something wrong, kind of hobby and it’s like.....I don’t need this kind of bullshit when I’m moving out of home and am trying to get a really good body! I love vinyl and listening to it, but sheeesh, it doesn’t suit me in terms of the technical side of things because I’m such a clueless dumb bitch! 🤣😠

No... Every turntable has those cables, just that the technics you can replace the headshell which makes it easier and can fix a broken one.

I actually can’t right now! Vinyl is such a complicated, costly, fine detailed, delicate, confusing, always something wrong, kind of hobby and it’s like.....I don’t need this kind of bullshit when I’m moving out of home and am trying to get a really good body! I love vinyl and listening to it, but sheeesh, it doesn’t suit me in terms of the technical side of things because I’m such a clueless dumb bitch! 🤣😠
Hug

Patience my friend, you will be rewarded in the end once you for example take it to the dealer or something else.. I don't want you to leave the community like this, maybe that's just something you find hard

How much did it cost for you to get yours repaired? Just out of curiosity? 🤔

I cannot wait to get a new turntable in the future but I think I won’t be getting one until I’m in my 30’s. I’m moving out of home literally next week and I really want to go to Sardinia and back to Crete by the time I’m 30 and I really want to do the Andalusian region in Spain within the next 5 years too lol

I’m going to call a lot of different places and see what they can do with the wires in the tonearm. When I bring in my turntable for the tonearm to get fixed, I’m going to get the dealership to install the Rega exact cartridge too. Hopefully they can align it all. I’m happy to pay a lot of money to get that all done for me :)
Plus the cables to the cart are detachable so if you snap one you just grab a new one out the drawer

Sorry Nathan, I've only just seen this.
I found it easier once I'd removed the arm from the plinth. Hope that helps you when doing future changes.
So sorry to hear a wire broke. That was a real fear of mine. I used long nose pliers and was super gentle. I'm sure it's an easy fix to the right person.
I hope you are up and running again soon!

Back