Record Store Day 2023

Those are some pretty big inventory numbers. It baffles me how allocation works. For example, My local shop ordered 20 copies but got 5.

A lot of the shops around here only got but just a few.
My store in Princeton got 100. Spin Me Round in Easton, PA got 320. A friend went to a store on Long Island, NY, they got 2.

3 for 3 and a pretty chill experience at a small shop that gets very low RSD quantities overall, but almost always gets the jazz titles, and very few of their customers are into jazz, and the local jazz heads don’t seem to know this shop gets jazz titles. Showed up at 10.39 for 11am opening. About 10th in line, with 20-30 people behind me. Two years ago I was first and only customer when I waltzedup at 11am opening.
View attachment 172750
Nice! I went to my local that sorta fits this description (small, low-quantity RSD titles overall) except for the jazz part. Got there 2 hours before opening thinking I'd outsmart the masses, since the bigger locals were opening around the time I arrived at the small shop. I was wrong. About 20+ already in line, and the titles I wanted were at quantities of 6 (Taylor Swift) or fewer. Win some, lose some, but always nice to see success!

The John Craigie was a folky treat. For those unfamiliar he will cover Beatles albums in full interspersing stories and historical facts (or fact like substances) between the songs. Really fun listen recorded from a live show.

On to Shires/Isbell

Isbell/Shires was solid. Two lead songs each with support from the other. I thought the Isbell tracks edged out Shires but it’s exactly what you expect.

Amythyst Kiah’s Pensive Pop is very nice. A covers EP but she really owns the hell out of the tunes. The Katy Perry and Love Will Teat Us Apart renditions stand out.

Amanda Shires Studio A is a big winner for me. I loved her last album but these four songs just feel huge in the re-recording. Three have features and it all comes off dramatic and significant and emotion filled. Great colorway, digital download, and etching. I think this will be slept on as just renditions of album tracks but it’s a strong recommend if you like Shires and even if you’re just meh, this might sway you. A great candidate for those RSD sales in a few months…

Sun Ra - Live at Haverford is a really nice listen. Solo Rhodes performance. Might have some non-fill of Side A, but may also be the recording itself.

I'm glad this is finally seeing the light of day. I remember an article 2 or 3 years ago when they released the recording digitally saying Modern Harmonic would be doing a physical release and have bene waiting somewhat impatiently since!

Back