Record Store Day 2023

Twentytwo

We're thrilled to announce that the RECORD STORE DAY AMBASSADORS for 2023 are husband-and-wife record store lovers AMANDA SHIRES AND JASON ISBELL!

"We’re honored to be your Record Store Day ambassadors for 2023. Record stores are gathering places. They’re rooms full of carefully curated art and entertainment where you can find a friend, take a date, start a band. We all need these gathering places now more than ever. In your local record store you find common ground and the excitement of discovery. A great new album can make a grumpy old man (like Jason) feel like a kid again. We’ve both worked in record stores, played our songs there, built our careers there. Record stores make it possible for recording artists to find their audience and their voice, and we couldn’t be more excited to help make 2023 the biggest and best Record Store Day yet.”

- Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires

*Our RSD 2023 Ambassadors are walking the walk, with The Sound Emporium EP, which includes brand new songs from both Amanda and Jason, coming on Record Store Day! (Details on this and other releases on "The List" still to come!)

*What record did Amanda bring home from tour as a gift for Jason? Check out this video to find out!

*Amanda and Jason are the latest in a long line of luminaries to wear the RSD Ambassador sash! Check out some of the other folks in the RSD Ambassador Club!

Last edited:
Well, I guess I have something on my list already.

Artwork for the Sound Emporium EP

attachment-jason-isbell-amanda-shires-the-sound-emporium-ep.jpg

Jason and Amanda will be releasing a split EP titled The Sound Emporium as an RSD2023 exclusive, featuring new songs from both Jason and Amanda, a Richard Thompson cover, and a reimagined track from the Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit album Here We Rest.

Don’t know much about Jason Isbell…. Is now a good time to start looking into it?
Hopefully the list isn’t too bad this go around I would like to go, but who knows

What I do know is probably there’s gonna. Be a Pic Disc from The Cure

Don’t know much about Jason Isbell…. Is now a good time to start looking into it?
Hopefully the list isn’t too bad this go around I would like to go, but who knows

Jason Isbell is fantastic. He joined Drive-By Truckers as a youngin' for their 4th, 5th and 6th albums before he was ousted from the band for being a bad drunk. He started a solo career there (his first album was produced by former bandmate Patterson Hood) and built a new band, The 400 Unit - his albums since have been a combination of solo and with The 400 Unit.

Right out the gate Isbell was a phenomenal songwriter (hell, his first album as part of DBT was named after one of his songs!) but I feel that, much like Tom Waits, he's hit an extra special stride since getting sober (Southeastern, his post-rehab record, is a fantastic starting point.) He writes fantastic rockers and absolutely devastating heartbreakers. He and Amanda are absolutely adorable and have recorded some incredible duets together. He also seems like a genuinely good person and actively tries to make the scene and world a better place, not the least of which by using his status and privilege to try and elevate marginalized voices.

Something More Than Free, his follow-up to Southeastern, was what really kicked things up a notch for Jason - as much as the Grammys are stupid, they still hold sway with a large audience and he won for beat Americana album that year and started selling out the "big" venues.

Happy to ramble on a helluva lot more if you do start to explore - which I hope you do!

Isbell is easily one of my favourite artists and songwriters from the past two decades, so this will be interesting! That E.P is a definitive buy! But does anybody know how much the ambassadors actually influence the event? Is it just their release or do they have any other impact here?

Isbell is easily one of my favourite artists and songwriters from the past two decades, so this will be interesting! That E.P is a definitive buy! But does anybody know how much the ambassadors actually influence the event? Is it just their release or do they have any other impact here?
Traditionally, the ambassador is a spokesperson and does some pr work for the event.

I know this would be a "trendy" pick, but the song "if we were vampires" just hits the soul. He is amazing live, too.

Jason Isbell is fantastic. He joined Drive-By Truckers as a youngin' for their 4th, 5th and 6th albums before he was ousted from the band for being a bad drunk. He started a solo career there (his first album was produced by former bandmate Patterson Hood) and built a new band, The 400 Unit - his albums since have been a combination of solo and with The 400 Unit.

Right out the gate Isbell was a phenomenal songwriter (hell, his first album as part of DBT was named after one of his songs!) but I feel that, much like Tom Waits, he's hit an extra special stride since getting sober (Southeastern, his post-rehab record, is a fantastic starting point.) He writes fantastic rockers and absolutely devastating heartbreakers. He and Amanda are absolutely adorable and have recorded some incredible duets together. He also seems like a genuinely good person and actively tries to make the scene and world a better place, not the least of which by using his status and privilege to try and elevate marginalized voices.

Something More Than Free, his follow-up to Southeastern, was what really kicked things up a notch for Jason - as much as the Grammys are stupid, they still hold sway with a large audience and he won for beat Americana album that year and started selling out the "big" venues.

Happy to ramble on a helluva lot more if you do start to explore - which I hope you do!
What @avecigrec said, but add in Here We Rest too. That's the album where Jason really matured as a songwriter. I think that was the first album with Amanda on it too, Codeine and Alabama Pines are essential. His twitter feed is a hoot, he takes absolutely no shit.

I wish I could have seen him in smaller venues.
Finally getting to see him in four weeks!
Head straight to the merch booth for the show exclusive poster (and sometimes t-shirt) Check the venue, poster tubes are usually allowed and makes life easier.
Other than Sirens of the Ditch, his entire catalog is really strong.

And Sirens is by no means a  bad album. Just his weakest.
I like Sirens but when everything you put out is good I guess something has to be low on the list. I think I prefer it over Reunions if I'm being honest

Head straight to the merch booth for the show exclusive poster (and sometimes t-shirt) Check the venue, poster tubes are usually allowed and makes life easier.

Sadly, as a fat man, t-shirts are very seldom an option for me at shows. And I don't really have anywhere to put posters, but that sounds tempting nevertheless.

Back