Record cleaning - what's your method?

I think he means when should the velvet strips be replaced? After how many spins

I read it as 'how long to wait from replacing the strips to using the tube.'
What @kvetcha said. I accidentally replaced the strips on the 10-inch tube the other day instead of 12-inch because the tubes had somehow switched place and didn’t notice until I was cleaning a record earlier today. So I had to replace the strips on the 12-inch tube and wanted to check if I could use it today but had a feeling I probably couldn’t.
Fortunately I didn’t pack everything out in preparation for a lot of cleaning and Vinyl Flatening haha

If Chisto doesn’t come back, I’ll go back to TTVJ. I bought a fair amount though, so I have plenty of time.

The Ukrainian people have much more to worry about than clean records unfortunately. I hope the war ends soon with Ukraine victorious.
Hi, CHISTO is ok and sells worldwide from EU. Check new SUMMIT and SCS products. Special prices for the USA for real help to Ukraine.

Has anyone used either of these?
If so, what were the results?

I think my anti-static brush can only do so and so much.

Big Fudge

Record Roller
Your anti-static brush won't clean a record - it only moves around dust on the surface. Neither of those are very good, particularly the Record Roller which probably causes more harm than good.

Barring a RCM - the Squeaky Clean is a good bargain - there are some decent manual products out there.

Last Power Cleaner and All-Purpose Cleaner are excellent products and the gold standard. Effective. There is a reason products like Last have been around for a half century.

You might also try the Chisto Spray & Wash. Not quite as powerful as the Last combo, but good nonetheless.

Last edited:

Big Fudge

Record Roller
Avoid the record roller like the plague. After the first revolution, you’ll be grinding dirt back on the record. You also run the risk of leaving a residue that’s nigh on impossible to remove.

The carbon fiber brushes don’t work well either in my experience. You also pin the risk of micro scratches.

I swear by this. Works great.

Amazon product ASIN B0855MQQYZ

Big Fudge

Record Roller
DM me if you want and I'll send you my Squeaky Clean for cost of shipping. You'll need to supply your own wet/dry shop vac (even a cheap Home Depot model is fine).

Avoid the record roller like the plague. After the first revolution, you’ll be grinding dirt back on the record. You also run the risk of leaving a residue that’s nigh on impossible to remove.

The carbon fiber brushes don’t work well either in my experience. You also pin the risk of micro scratches.

I swear by this. Works great.

Amazon product ASIN B0855MQQYZ
That brush is great.
Pair it with a cheap black light flashlight and your stylus will stay 5x more fuzz free.

Amazon product ASIN B07SWW5FHB

Is there a solid way to clean the VPI brush? If I can clean it to get some longevity out of it over spending $60 that would be nice.

I honestly feel like cleaning records has made my listening worse.. with the spin clean every time I get a new record I have to leave it on standby because when I get at least 5 or so I fill up the tub and clean them all.. which leads me to getting overwhelmed and listening to my records much less

I honestly feel like cleaning records has made my listening worse.. with the spin clean every time I get a new record I have to leave it on standby because when I get at least 5 or so I fill up the tub and clean them all.. which leads me to getting overwhelmed and listening to my records much less
Why do you feel you need to clean a brand new record? Just play it and enjoy it!

Did you know that in the 50's, 60's, 70's and into the 80's, millions upon millions of people bought a record, took it home, and played it - and there were no vacuum cleaners, spin cleans, ultrasonic cleaners?

99.9% had a brush, and maybe some more devoted used Last or a similar product.

And were happy.

a tub will be fine for a week or two if you leave the brushes out. Change it if it starts to smell.

If it's either don't clean or don't spin, just don't clean 'em.

Back