Record cleaning - what's your method?

Kind of a double-edged sword. Yes, that crud has been removed from records, but if that's what has settled to the bottom, what's still in the water/on the pads being used to wash the next record?

You clean out the tank and use a lint roller on the pads after each cleaning session.

Kind of a double-edged sword. Yes, that crud has been removed from records, but if that's what has settled to the bottom, what's still in the water/on the pads being used to wash the next record?
The Spin Clean fluid is apparently designed to pull off dirt and sink it to the bottom of the tank so that it's not floating in the water. In my Spin Clean experience that had actually worked well. It was always the drying that I could never get right.

You clean out the tank and use a lint roller on the pads after each cleaning session.
Okay, so then I guess it boils down to how many records you can clean before you're no longer cleaning....which would depend on how dirty the records are to begin with. Got it.

The Spin Clean fluid is apparently designed to pull off dirt and sink it to the bottom of the tank so that it's not floating in the water. In my Spin Clean experience that had actually worked well. It was always the drying that I could never get right.
Oh, well that's cool if it works. Hadn't known that.

I apologize in advance for the long post…

I’ve been collecting for approximately 20 years and currently have 1000+ records in my collection. The majority of those records was already used when I bought them (the reason I got into this hobby was because vinyl was dirt cheap in the early 2000s). Yet in all this time and with all those records, the only cleaning method I’ve ever used is (a variation of) this:

View attachment 128584

View attachment 128583

That’s it. A brush and some fluid. Drip, brush, play.

I have thought about but never seriously considered a vacuum or ultrasonic cleaner, mostly because of the expense (it would be tough to explain to my wife that our family needs a $200+ machine to clean my vinyl). Even considering that over the past few years I have been spending at least $1,500/year on records, it just feels too expensive for our SES.

The “sweet spot” for someone in my position should be something like the Spin Clean. I’ve never managed the motivation to buy that either, probably because I’m lazy. Also, I’m somewhat skeptical that the sound of my records (and the life of my stylus) would improve significantly if I used a Spin Clean instead of my barebones drip/brush method. And $80 seems like too much for a plastic tub and a little rack.

All that said, I have recently replaced my stylus and am about to add a bunch of used, presumably dirty records to my collection (as explained in my latest post on the “Collection to Date” thread). This confluence of events is making me consider a new cleaning method.

Here is where I’d like some input:

1. First, I’d like to know (from folks who use or used Spin Clean-type cleaners as their sole cleaning method) whether the improvement in sound is notable enough to warrant such a purchase.

2. I’d also like to know whether a cheaper alternative like the Knox record cleaner would be a worth a try at 75% of the price.

3. I’m also open to other ideas/methods, so long as they are compatible with (a) a tight budget and (b) my lazy predisposition.

Thanks a bunch!
For 50 years I have just used just a Dishwasher to keep my records clean. Last year I broke down and got a diy ultrasonic record cleaner (around $200) and it has been a worthy investment. It significantly reduces/eliminates surface noise tics and pops which makes my listening much more enjoyable, especially now that I am buying much more used than new vinyl.

For 50 years I have just used just a Dishwasher to keep my records clean. Last year I broke down and got a diy ultrasonic record cleaner (around $200) and it has been a worthy investment. It significantly reduces/eliminates surface noise tics and pops which makes my listening much more enjoyable, especially now that I am buying much more used than new vinyl.
Did you get the one off Amazon, what mods did you have to make ?

Did you get the one off Amazon, what mods did you have to make ?
I got it from Vevor.com, though I think ones from Amazon and Ebay are similar. It came with everything needed - a bracket with motor to rotate the records and a drying rack. It's not as slick as a purpose built cleaner, but it does essentially the same job for quite a bit less.

Michael Fremer did a comparison of a bunch of dry dusting brushes. Two takeaways- the carbon fiber brushes suck (which I knew) and Fremer’s vacuum cleaner (for floors, not records) must be in “like new” condition as I don’t think it’s ever been used. 🤣

I nearly bought one of the featured dusters. Then I remembered the duster I use for my equipment is actually meant for records, so I bought another. It’s brilliant and inexpensive too.

Monosaudio Vinyl Record Cleaning... Amazon product ASIN B08113TFRV

Michael Fremer did a comparison of a bunch of dry dusting brushes. Two takeaways- the carbon fiber brushes suck (which I knew) and Fremer’s vacuum cleaner (for floors, not records) must be in “like new” condition as I don’t think it’s ever been used. 🤣

I nearly bought one of the featured dusters. Then I remembered the duster I use for my equipment is actually meant for records, so I bought another. It’s brilliant and inexpensive too.

I remember going to a record shows where Fremer was selling Fiber brushes Good he is still learning 😊

I have seen some Japanese audiophiles using this style HFG. I wonder if it can get dust/some dirt out of the grooves like a good fiber brush (old Hunt) or is just good for surface dust on top of machine cleaning for example ? I have to fully read the article later.

Btw Don't buy the current HUNT ETA brush btw. No where as good as the older ones. Music Hall is OEM'ed a piece of garbage here and passing it off as the Hunt ETA.

I went back to my Audioquest for the time being. Was going to try the Sleeves Unlimited Brush that some here like and recommend.

I have the same one and it's really nice, but I'll be honest, I rarely have to use it.

I apologize in advance for the long post…

I’ve been collecting for approximately 20 years and currently have 1000+ records in my collection. The majority of those records was already used when I bought them (the reason I got into this hobby was because vinyl was dirt cheap in the early 2000s). Yet in all this time and with all those records, the only cleaning method I’ve ever used is (a variation of) this:

View attachment 128584

View attachment 128583

That’s it. A brush and some fluid. Drip, brush, play.

I have thought about but never seriously considered a vacuum or ultrasonic cleaner, mostly because of the expense (it would be tough to explain to my wife that our family needs a $200+ machine to clean my vinyl). Even considering that over the past few years I have been spending at least $1,500/year on records, it just feels too expensive for our SES.

The “sweet spot” for someone in my position should be something like the Spin Clean. I’ve never managed the motivation to buy that either, probably because I’m lazy. Also, I’m somewhat skeptical that the sound of my records (and the life of my stylus) would improve significantly if I used a Spin Clean instead of my barebones drip/brush method. And $80 seems like too much for a plastic tub and a little rack.

All that said, I have recently replaced my stylus and am about to add a bunch of used, presumably dirty records to my collection (as explained in my latest post on the “Collection to Date” thread). This confluence of events is making me consider a new cleaning method.

1. First, I’d like to know (from folks who use or used Spin Clean-type cleaners as their sole cleaning method) whether the improvement in sound is notable enough to warrant such a purchase.

2. I’d also like to know whether a cheaper alternative like the Knox record cleaner would be a worth a try at 75% of the price.

3. I’m also open to other ideas/methods, so long as they are compatible with (a) a tight budget and (b) my lazy predisposition.

Thanks a bunch!
Even less than Knox:

Studebaker Vinyl Record Cleaning System with Cleaning Solution and Soft Pads Included at $42.50 on 2/21/22

Amazon product ASIN B01GOOAEVK
My experience with cleaning records:

I started buying records in the late 70s, early 80s. Never cleaned them until college (mid-80s) and I just dusted them off with a soft cloth.

At the college radio station I was introduced to the Discwasher D4 wooden handle with felt pad, and cleaning fluid. We were told to clean every record before we played it. At home I used one of those carbon fiber/felt brush cleaners before each spin.

I didn't buy any dedicated cleaner until about 8 years ago, when I got a spray bottle of cleaner and a soft cloth packaged as a kit. Worked pretty well for doing occasional cleaning. Didn't get gunk out of the grooves on used/dirty records, though. And I started buying more at flea markets and bargain bins.

I was skeptical of the Spin-Clean, too. $70 for a plastic tub and brushes and fluid? But then I got an open-box deal on Amazon with a gift card, and noted it was designed and built in Pennsylvania (where I live), so I felt better about supporting a local/stateside company, paying a US laborer. At least that's how I justified the expense, haha!

The Spin-Clean does a really good job. It's just time-consuming when you have to clean something like 40 records. It's all manual, and my cloths got wet drying the LPs (I did not air dry in a rack) so I was limited to how many I could do in a sitting. I used that for quite a few years.

Just got the VEVOR unit mentioned here, direct from their website. Found a coupon that brought it under $210 shipped. Instructions were non-existent, the spinner add-on is a bit kludgey, but the results have been great. I can do 4 at a time in a 20-minute cycle, hands-off other than swapping them and drying them after. Much more time-efficient if I have a bunch to clean.

Since I re-sell to support my hobby/obsession, this has helped me with grading and offering the best used records I can to my buyers.

When people spend thousands on records and gear, a $200 ultrasonic unit doesn't seem excessive in the big picture. Even a $650 iSonic is a worthwhile investment. I have 2 friends who got this model and they love it. It's a little quieter than mine.

iSonic P4875II+MVR10 Motorized Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaner, 110V (10-Records)
Amazon product ASIN B07PT6HRNQ

Ordered! Should be here tomorrow. Will be comparing it to the Audioquest that you and Fremer disapprove of. It’s the grounded version which helps in the dry Denver climate where static can be jolting around stereo gear.

Ordered! Should be here tomorrow. Will be comparing it to the Audioquest that you and Fremer disapprove of. It’s the grounded version which helps in the dry Denver climate where static can be jolting around stereo gear.
Get this one 😬

Get this one 😬

Just browsing that website for 10 seconds annoyed me enough to close the tab.

Even less than Knox:

Studebaker Vinyl Record Cleaning System with Cleaning Solution and Soft Pads Included at $42.50 on 2/21/22

Amazon product ASIN B01GOOAEVK
My experience with cleaning records:

I started buying records in the late 70s, early 80s. Never cleaned them until college (mid-80s) and I just dusted them off with a soft cloth.

At the college radio station I was introduced to the Discwasher D4 wooden handle with felt pad, and cleaning fluid. We were told to clean every record before we played it. At home I used one of those carbon fiber/felt brush cleaners before each spin.

I didn't buy any dedicated cleaner until about 8 years ago, when I got a spray bottle of cleaner and a soft cloth packaged as a kit. Worked pretty well for doing occasional cleaning. Didn't get gunk out of the grooves on used/dirty records, though. And I started buying more at flea markets and bargain bins.

I was skeptical of the Spin-Clean, too. $70 for a plastic tub and brushes and fluid? But then I got an open-box deal on Amazon with a gift card, and noted it was designed and built in Pennsylvania (where I live), so I felt better about supporting a local/stateside company, paying a US laborer. At least that's how I justified the expense, haha!

The Spin-Clean does a really good job. It's just time-consuming when you have to clean something like 40 records. It's all manual, and my cloths got wet drying the LPs (I did not air dry in a rack) so I was limited to how many I could do in a sitting. I used that for quite a few years.

Just got the VEVOR unit mentioned here, direct from their website. Found a coupon that brought it under $210 shipped. Instructions were non-existent, the spinner add-on is a bit kludgey, but the results have been great. I can do 4 at a time in a 20-minute cycle, hands-off other than swapping them and drying them after. Much more time-efficient if I have a bunch to clean.

Since I re-sell to support my hobby/obsession, this has helped me with grading and offering the best used records I can to my buyers.

When people spend thousands on records and gear, a $200 ultrasonic unit doesn't seem excessive in the big picture. Even a $650 iSonic is a worthwhile investment. I have 2 friends who got this model and they love it. It's a little quieter than mine.

iSonic P4875II+MVR10 Motorized Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaner, 110V (10-Records)
Amazon product ASIN B07PT6HRNQ
I've been quite happy with my Vevor. True, it's a bit kludgey and not as sleek as others, but for similar results at just around $200, it's very cost effective. I may not have gotten an ultrasonic cleaner otherwise, but I'm sure glad I did.

Thanks a bunch!
I use a ~$200 Record Doctor IV to vacuum clean my records. It works, but it is slower to use than a motorized cleaner. I'd rather have a Pro-Ject VC-S but it costs a lot more and takes more space.

Back