Record cleaning - what's your method?

Just bought my first real record cleaning machine, a VPI 16.5. I've been using a spin clean since I got back into the vinyl hobby a few years ago. Looking forward to giving it a go and seeing if it makes a discernable difference from the spin clean.

Anyone else here have a VPI cleaning machine who's got any tips?
Nothing but positives across the board ;)
20171217_193101A.jpg

Just bought my first real record cleaning machine, a VPI 16.5. I've been using a spin clean since I got back into the vinyl hobby a few years ago. Looking forward to giving it a go and seeing if it makes a discernable difference from the spin clean.

Anyone else here have a VPI cleaning machine who's got any tips?

I’ve had mine for a year now and the only issue that I have had was the vacuum tube provided broke within the first month.
I ended up buying one of these. The only downside was you can longer see the fluid getting sucked up through the tube. 😞

Other than that it’s been great. The vacuum part is noisy but it’s so much more effective than the SC. Enjoy!

I’ve had mine for a year now and the only issue that I have had was the vacuum tube provided broke within the first month.
I ended up buying one of these. The only downside was you can longer see the fluid getting sucked up through the tube. 😞

Other than that it’s been great. The vacuum part is noisy but it’s so much more effective than the SC. Enjoy!
Same, but mine lasted more than a year before it broke, grabbed the Delrin replacement as well (Old photo posted)
These are also the best replacement strips I've found

IT'S NANO TECHNOLOGY!!! 😂

IT'S NANO TECHNOLOGY!!! 😂
I can remove scratches from vinyl too. All I need is a belt sander or some epoxy. Voila. No more scratches.

Guaranteed to make your vinyl shiny and crackle free.

Quick question. Watching some YouTube videos and don’t see anyone doing any post cycle drying and wondering how dry the records are after the cycle runs completely? Can you play immediately or do you dry in some manner?

Quick question. Watching some YouTube videos and don’t see anyone doing any post cycle drying and wondering how dry the records are after the cycle runs completely? Can you play immediately or do you dry in some manner?
I’ve found the records are pretty damn dry after a couple of revolutions on a Squeaky Clean, I imagine you’d see similar results on an automatic unit.

+1 to @Manzig issue with the tube breaking. Mine broke within the first month as well. I find when putting the lid down I need to first push the holder down then lightly push the lid. Also make sure the tube is fully inserted into the holder as I’ve noticed it tends to slide out a bit from time to time. Just try not to break it 😅.

As for drying, you should be able to just pop it on right away. I usually watch the tube and when I see the cleaning fluid isn’t being picked up anymore then I know it’s good to go.

@AnthonyI recommended this for apply cleaning liquid and I would too
Amazon product ASIN B07MYT12HG

+1 to @Manzig issue with the tube breaking. Mine broke within the first month as well. I find when putting the lid down I need to first push the holder down then lightly push the lid. Also make sure the tube is fully inserted into the holder as I’ve noticed it tends to slide out a bit from time to time. Just try not to break it 😅.

As for drying, you should be able to just pop it on right away. I usually watch the tube and when I see the cleaning fluid isn’t being picked up anymore then I know it’s good to go.

@AnthonyI recommended this for apply cleaning liquid and I would too
Amazon product ASIN B07MYT12HG

Same about the lid and the tube. Sometimes I don’t notice the tube until I go to vacuum and you can hear the difference in the suck.

I think the rotational speed is largely about just getting the job done quickly. Since the thread also absorbs fluid and dissolved dirt, there really is no reason for the vacuum arm to linger on the surface.
The faster the better, but seems like the trade off being a not insignificant portion of lubricant flying off the platter seems unnecessary. That’s all. The concentrated pickup is interesting compared to other RCM’s.

Back