Record cleaning - what's your method?

The question about the RD I've always wondered is does the water drip off when you flip it over? And I assume I can continue using my Chisto.
I’ve been using a RD with Chisto for a year now and it’s been great. No drips by the way. HiFi is right. Gotta spin slowly and I use my other hand to sort of guide the edge so it stays engaged with the vac.

Okay, i have the ultrasonic set up. Umm, now what? What temperature do you guys set it to? And for how long? Is it possible to clean it for too long?

Tergitol works very well. You can find it on Ebay and Amazon.

Do you mix this into the water, or do you spray each record before cleaning?

Got the Record Doctor V today. It was very easy to use. Flipping over and finding the spindle hole before you drip too much fluid was a little bit of a learning curve but I think I got it. It dries a lot faster and a lot better than the Squeaky Clean with a Shop Vac. I have to assume since it's drying better, it's cleaning better. I haven't had a chance to play any records that I cleaned but I expect good results! It's not much louder than a regular Shop Vac. My only complaint is that the brush it comes with isn't great.

Got the Record Doctor V today. It was very easy to use. Flipping over and finding the spindle hole before you drip too much fluid was a little bit of a learning curve but I think I got it. It dries a lot faster and a lot better than the Squeaky Clean with a Shop Vac. I have to assume since it's drying better, it's cleaning better. I haven't had a chance to play any records that I cleaned but I expect good results! It's not much louder than a regular Shop Vac. My only complaint is that the brush it comes with isn't great.
If you're worried about dripping, you might be applying too much fluid. And yeah, I bought a different brush.

I finally used up all my TTVJ fluid and am giving Chisto a shot. I'll admit, I was skeptical going in, but wow, that stuff does a great job. I was doing a rinse with the TTVJ, but don't see the need with Chisto. How long does everyone leave it on before vacuuming off?

I finally used up all my TTVJ fluid and am giving Chisto a shot. I'll admit, I was skeptical going in, but wow, that stuff does a great job. I was doing a rinse with the TTVJ, but don't see the need with Chisto. How long does everyone leave it on before vacuuming off?
I usually just clean if off after a few seconds. I'm usually cleaning new records. I'm open to people telling me I'm doing it wrong though 😃. But I think since it's not an enzyme cleaner like TTVJ it doesn't need the soaking time.

I usually just clean if off after a few seconds. I'm usually cleaning new records. I'm open to people telling me I'm doing it wrong though 😃. But I think since it's not an enzyme cleaner like TTVJ it doesn't need the soaking time.
I'm usually at maybe 1-2 minutes. If 15 seconds is all it takes, more time for music.

So RDV users, how do you clean 7"? There doesn't seem to be enough suction. I ended up covering the exposed area of the vacuum with the cleaning brush.

Okay, i have the ultrasonic set up. Umm, now what? What temperature do you guys set it to? And for how long? Is it possible to clean it for too long?

Do you mix this into the water, or do you spray each record before cleaning?
I mix it into the tank with water, and run at a temperature of 33-35 degrees C (90-95 F). Depending on the speed that your motor spins the record in the solution, you may want to adjust the time per the results you get, faster-longer, slower-shorter. Mine spins at about 1 rpm and I get good results running for 10 minutes.

Try a piece of tape. When you're done, use the tape to clean the strip.
Interesting. I will give that a try next time. I don't clean 7" a whole lot. I was just testing it out. I also just read that apparently the brush is double sided? I only saw the side with the bristles. I will have to investigate when I get home tonight.

I've actually been using Neil's cleaning technique for the past couple of months. I wouldn't know enough to compare it to anything other than my RCM, (Pro-Ject VC-S2) and the Spin-Clean that I started out with several years ago.

With that limited experience in mind, all I can tell you is that my records have never been cleaner. Absolutely pristine.

The cleaning products are inexpensive and easy to find and despite 190 pages, the technique is pretty simple in execution. I can wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone trying to clean vinyl on a limited budget while achieving some pretty phenomenal results.

I have found that after cleaning the LP with the record cleaning machine, then I use one of the record cleaning rollers. The roller will pickup anything left on the surface.

Back