Record cleaning - what's your method?

This is exactly where I'm at. To the point that I've sold records that didn't meet that particular standard instead of going down the rabbit hole of upgrading my equipment. I want to "settle" but the more I learn, the more I just can't. I believe it's called @Mather Syndrome.
Sadly I have sold many records through the years because they had more surface noise than I preferred. I certainly wish I had held on to them to clean now with my ultrasonic cleaner.

Yeah, you pretty much just have to figure it out, which fortunately isn't too hard. What voltage adaptor did you get? If it's 24v it may be more effective to run longer or get a lower voltage one.
I’m now running longer, 20 minutes

Reactions: 91X
I'm considering getting a Vevor. I have a small PayPal balance burning a hole and have always wanted an ultrasonic cleaner. Please keep us updated on your trip. If anyone else has experience with these "DIYs", I'd appreciate input. Right now I'm using Spin Clean and Tergikleen.

Actually, the Tergikleen came with some handy instructions that might be helpful to @djdavedk (attached).

Attachments

• Tergi-Kleen_Instructions.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
I'm considering getting a Vevor. I have a small PayPal balance burning a hole and have always wanted an ultrasonic cleaner. Please keep us updated on your trip. If anyone else has experience with these "DIYs", I'd appreciate input. Right now I'm using Spin Clean and Tergikleen.

Actually, the Tergikleen came with some handy instructions that might be helpful to @djdavedk (attached).
That's really something... lots of details and reference to ultrasonic cleaners. I have used a paint pad to clean extremely dirty flea market records, but only on occasion as needed.

I thought it was well-written and had good information. Unfortunately I could not find a digital copy, so sorry for the image. Do you like the Vevor? I'm looking at this one.

I got one from Vevor and am very happy with it. I think it is one of the most cost effective things you can do to improve vinyl playback. My records come out with very little to no surface noise at all.
I used a Spin Clean previously as well. I now use it as a rinse after ultrasonic cleaning (I use Tergitol as a surfactant), or as a pre-wash for acquired used records that are very dirty.

Last edited:
I was out Christmas shopping, and decided to grab a few records because, well, temptation doesn't wait. Anyway, I picked up Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast. Unfortunately, the first song had a big skip. I looked, and there's like extra vinyl or adhesive or something on the first track. Anybody have a good way to clean that?

I was out Christmas shopping, and decided to grab a few records because, well, temptation doesn't wait. Anyway, I picked up Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast. Unfortunately, the first song had a big skip. I looked, and there's like extra vinyl or adhesive or something on the first track. Anybody have a good way to clean that?
Not sure exactly what you are describing, but if it is something embedded in a groove that has the potential for being removed, I have had success with a toothpick. Using only as much force as necessary, use a pointy end of the toothpick within the groove to try to dislodge what shouldn't be there. Of course this won't work if what you are seeing is 'permanently' adhered to the record.

The Roller Cleaner work for LP’s! I got a hand full of them this week online before they are gone.

Attachments

• 7EE27FB1-519C-4519-997B-5A2F59476D93.jpeg
    7EE27FB1-519C-4519-997B-5A2F59476D93.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 6
So. I have $200 in Amazon gift cards and my Squeaky Clean's vent is broken and I don't think it's drying records all the way, so I'm thinking a new RCM might be a good idea of these gift cards. Question is, should I just got for a Record Doctor V or save up a little more and get something like the Pro-Ject VC-E (which doesn't get too kind reviews on there due to a vent being on top of the unit). Any thoughts or other suggestions?

So. I have $200 in Amazon gift cards and my Squeaky Clean's vent is broken and I don't think it's drying records all the way, so I'm thinking a new RCM might be a good idea of these gift cards. Question is, should I just got for a Record Doctor V or save up a little more and get something like the Pro-Ject VC-E (which doesn't get too kind reviews on there due to a vent being on top of the unit). Any thoughts or other suggestions?
The RD is a good move. The only weird thing is it works with the wet side down so you’ll have to learn how many spins to get it dry and how fast to spin. 5 spins slowly works.

The RD is a good move. The only weird thing is it works with the wet side down so you’ll have to learn how many spins to get it dry and how fast to spin. 5 spins slowly works.
The question about the RD I've always wondered is does the water drip off when you flip it over? And I assume I can continue using my Chisto.

Back