Reveal
Up
Green
Fables Of The Reconstruction
Out Of Time
Accelerate
Collapse into Now
Around The Sun

I actually ranked REM in a Google notes and can’t remember if I actually ever posted it here:

1. Automatic For The People
2. Reckoning
3. Lifes Rich Pageant
4. Murmur
5. Chronic Town
6. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
7. Out Of Time
8. Green
9. Document
10. Fables Of The Reconstruction
11. Monster
12. Reveal
13. Up
14. Collapse Into Now
15. Accelerate
16. Around The Sun

Here goes (almost all are essential and even last place is an album I appreciate):

1. Reckoning
2. Murmur
3. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
4. Document
5. Automatic For The People
6. Lifes Rich Pageant
7. Green
8. Fables of the Reconstruction
9. Chronic Town
10. Reveal
11. Accelerate
12. Out of Time
13. Monster
14. Up
15. Collapse Into Now
16. Around The Sun

My R.E.M. album ranking is something like this:

1. Murmur
2. Reckoning
3. Automatic For The People
4. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
5. Document
6. Lifes Rich Pageant
7. Fables Of The Reconstruction
8. Out Of Time
9. Monster
10. Green
11. Up
12. Reveal
13. Accelerate
14. Collapse Into Now
15. Around The Sun

I'm befuddled by how low Green is on these lists.
I would argue Green is the Most R.E.M. of all the R.E.M. releases, and the early attempt for their most artistic achievements.
Its Pollack's Mural before No. 5: they have the idea of where they are going but they haven't figured out exactly how to fully realize their potential

Pop Hit with lyrics that shouldn't Be a Pop hit: ✅Pop Song 89
Still has some of the Athens sound: ✅Get Up
Mike Mills Background Vocals taking the song from a 5 to a 7: ✅ You Are The Everything
The obligatory "Is this a good song?" Song that somehow made the record: ✅Stand
Pioneering Use of Sound/Instrumentation not previously found in Indie/Rock music at the time: ✅World Leader Pretend
Avant Garde R.E.M. brand weirdness: ✅ The Wrong Child
R.E.M Banger that goes to 11: ✅Orange Crush
Stipe taking a political stance with his lyrics: ✅ Turn You Inside Out
R.E.M Brand Tenderness/Love Song: ✅ Hairshirt
The Oddly Specific To Stipe's experience but Weirdly Universally Relatable Stipe Lyric:✅ I Remember California
Stipe Showing his Vocal Range: ✅ Untitled

Its not #1 in the cannon - but its averaging #10 on these lists - which is criminally low.

Last edited:
1. Monster
2. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
3. Document
3. Murmur
4. Automatic For The People
5. Out Of Time
6. Reckoning
7. Fables Of The Reconstruction
8. Dead Letter Offce
9. Green
10. Lifes Rich Pageant
11. Up
12. Reveal
13. Accelerate
14. Collapse Into Now
15. Around The Sun

King Crimson

01. In the Court of the Crimson King
02. Discipline
03. Red
04. Beat
05. Larks’ Tongues in Aspic
06. The Power to Believe
07. THRAK
08. Starless and Bible Black
09. Three of a Perfect Pair
10. Islands
11. In the Wake of Poseidon
12. Lizard
13. The Construkction of Light
I’d put thrak and 3opp above power to believe but otherwise this is also my list.

I can get behind that.

If I were assigning my rankings letter grades, it would probably look something like this:

01-03 = A+
04-09 = A
10-12 = B
13-13 = C
like my all-time favorite KC album is actually a playlist that I made of all my favorite songs which usually winds up being like 50-75% of a given album. I got into them -- like really really into them -- as a post-breakup therapy thing where I just decided "I'm going to learn how to do a hard thing" and I sat down and learned how to play a bunch of Crimson. So the 80s belew-era guitar fuckery is my jam but it's hard to pick any particular album and say it's bad. Like, even Lizard the worst thing about it is that it's basically "In the Court, Pt 2". Which isn't bad, but it's just kinda same-y in a way the other albums aren't.

Real Estate:

1. Atlas
2. Days
3. Daniel
4. In Mind
5. The Main Thing
6. Real Estate

2, 3 & 4 could realistically flip at any point.
I loved their debut so this is complete wrong (but not really since if you put Real Estate at one everything else would be the same.)

Real Estate
Atlas
Days
Daniel
In Mind
The Main Thing

Also, I know he is a creep but I still prefer Matthew Mondanile’s guitar to Julian Lynch though there wasn’t a huge drop off.

I am also a big fan of Alex Bleeker’s and Martin Courtney’s respective solo albums too.

I loved their debut so this is complete wrong (but not really since if you put Real Estate at one everything else would be the same.)

Real Estate
Atlas
Days
Daniel
In Mind
The Main Thing

Also, I know he is a creep but I still prefer Matthew Mondanile’s guitar to Julian Lynch though there wasn’t a huge drop off.

I am also a big fan of Alex Bleeker’s and Martin Courtney’s respective solo albums too.
Agreed, I thought Mondanile's presence would be sorely missed but the band is so tight as is that I've mostly forgotten about their turnover (they also replaced their drummer on this last album).

I just listened to their debut and it's great, I just forgot how LoFi it was. Which, of course, is a positive, but you can feel that the band hadn't hit their stride just yet (didn't take long as it hit on Days).

I think I'll come around on The Main Thing, which largely is their most experimental to date, thus why I didn't put it last.

Agreed, I thought Mondanile's presence would be sorely missed but the band is so tight as is that I've mostly forgotten about their turnover (they also replaced their drummer on this last album).

I just listened to their debut and it's great, I just forgot how LoFi it was. Which, of course, is a positive, but you can feel that the band hadn't hit their stride just yet (didn't take long as it hit on Days).

I think I'll come around on The Main Thing, which largely is their most experimental to date, thus why I didn't put it last.
You enjoy any of their solo stuff?

Real Estate:

1. Atlas
  2. Days
  3. In Mind
  4. Real Estate
  5. Daniel
  6. The Main Thing

Daniel could overtake the s/t of which I'm not really too big of a fan. It's more rough and they hadn't really hit their stride yet. I really didn't like Real Estate until Days came out. In Mind is underrated IMO. It coincided with me seeing them live for the one and only time in 2017, so I just loved that album when it came out. There's some really catchy songs on that one but still a few duds.

Real Estate:

1. Atlas
  2. Days
  3. In Mind
  4. Real Estate
  5. Daniel
  6. The Main Thing

Daniel could overtake the s/t of which I'm not really too big of a fan. It's more rough and they hadn't really hit their stride yet. I really didn't like Real Estate until Days came out. In Mind is underrated IMO. It coincided with me seeing them live for the one and only time in 2017, so I just loved that album when it came out. There's some really catchy songs on that one but still a few duds.
I wasn’t sold on In Mind really,TBH until I saw them perform a good chunk of it live. The live version helped me appreciate those songs in a different way.

I wasn’t sold on In Mind really,TBH until I saw them perform a good chunk of it live. The live version helped me appreciate those songs in a different way.
"Darling", "White Light", "Stained Glass", "Saturday" are gems. I especially love when an album ends on a great note. Real Estate are really good at closing albums, mostly.

i’d rank the “reality” EP above anything except “days”
Yeah, I got really into that late 00s Lo-Fi scene on Woodist and Underwater Peoples; Pochahaunted, Ducktails, The Woods, Sad City, Family Portait, Andrew Cedarmark, Liam The Younger, Frat Dad, etc… So I really love those early Real Estate albums. I can understand why the Lo-Fi stuff isn’t everyone’s favorite though.

Back