Rank The Albums!

I like this because the only 3 I know, own, and love are your top 3. I'm too overwhelmed to go down the GBV rabbit hole beyond those.
You should check out this chunk here…
  • *Mag Earwhig! (1997) 8.5/10
  • *Do the Collapse (1999) - 8/10
  • *Isolation Drills (2001) - 8.5/10
  • Universal Truths and Cycles (2002) - 7.5/10
  • Earthquake Glue (2003) 8/10
  • Half Smiles of the Decomposed (2004) 8/10
Plus Bob’s 2006 solo album From A Compound Eye. And his album with Doug Gillard from 1999, Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department

I think there is lots to love throughout this run.

Sometime after Welshpool Frillies came out, I realized that I really hadn't paid attention to Guided by Voices much at all. Robert Pollard really doesn't slow down with music he releases and I was only a cursory fan of the classics. So, earlier this year I challenged myself to give all their albums a listen from start to finish and assign a score. They even released an album last week (!) while I was going through this project thinking I was almost done.

Below is my top 10 along with the entire list I used to rank. Anything below the top 10 I'd be randomly selecting based on the score, and ideally I'd need more listens to really judge. Which entirely defeats the point of the first-time judging.

Scoring: Each album started at 6/10. As I was listening I added each a half a point (0.5) if I liked something along the way, and deducted half a pont if I didn't. If I had heard the album before it's marked with an asterisk (*).

Some thoughts:

• Their first few albums I judged harshly but I might come around to them with additional listens.
  • Their classic period is classic for a reason.
  • When they started writing longer songs with more structure they released some really good albums. Earthquake Glue and Half Smiles of the Decomposed are quite good.
  • Back in 2012 I remember being extremely excited for their return, along with everyone, and really liking Let's Go Eat the Factory and Class Clown Spots a UFO. I didn't like them at all this time around. I feel like they were trying to replicate their classic period with shorter songs and little ideas but it's mostly bad. When Bob started to write more structured songs in subsequent albums they got better.
  • Everything since their reunion has been mostly fine. Earth Man Blues is pretty bad but not terrible. Nothing has really wowed me, but is enjoyable. It's Not Them. It Couldn't Be Them. It Is Them! is a truly amazingly hilarious and awesome album name that I gave it an extra half point just because.

Top 10 list:
  1. Alien Lanes
  2. Bee Thousand
  3. Under the Bushes Under the Stars
  4. Vampire on Titus
  5. Isolation Drills
  6. Mah Earwig!
  7. Do the Collapse
  8. Half Smiles of the Decomposed
  9. Propeller
  10. Earthquake Glue

Full Discography list:

(previously listened albums are marked with an asterisk (*)
  • Devil Between My Toes (1987) - 5/10
  • Sandbox (1987) - 6.5/10
  • Self-Inflicted Aerial Nostalgia (1989) - 7.5/10
  • Same Place the Fly Got Smashed (1990) - 5.5/10
  • *Propeller (1992) - 8/10
  • *Vampire on Titus (1993) - 8.5/10
  • *Bee Thousand (1994) - 10/10
  • *Alien Lanes (1995) - 10/10
  • *Under the Bushes Under the Stars (1996) - 9/10
  • *Tonics & Twisted Chasers (1996) - 6.5/10
  • *Mag Earwhig! (1997) 8.5/10
  • *Do the Collapse (1999) - 8/10
  • *Isolation Drills (2001) - 8.5/10
  • Universal Truths and Cycles (2002) - 7.5/10
  • Earthquake Glue (2003) 8/10
  • Half Smiles of the Decomposed (2004) 8/10
  • *Let's Go Eat the Factory (2012) 5/10
  • *Class Clown Spots a UFO (2012) - 7/10
  • The Bears for Lunch (2012) - 7.5/10
  • English Little League (2013) 6.5/10
  • Motivational Jumpsuit (2014) 6.5/10
  • Cool Planet (2014) - 6/10
  • Please Be Honest (2016) - 6.5/10
  • August by Cake (2017) 7/10
  • How Do You Spell Heaven (2017) - 7/10
  • Space Gun (2018) - 6.5/10
  • Zeppelin Over China (2019) - 6/10
  • Warp and Woof (2019) - 7/10
  • Sweating the Plague (2019) - 8/10
  • Surrender Your Poppy Field (2020) - 8/10
  • Mirrored Aztec (2020) - 6/10
  • Styles We Paid For (2020) - 6/10
  • *Earth Man Blues (2021) - 5.5/10
  • It's Not Them. It Couldn't Be Them. It Is Them! (2021) - 7.5/10
  • Crystal Nuns Cathedral (2022) - 7/10
  • Tremblers and Goggles by Rank (2022) - 6.5/10
  • La La Land (2023) - 6.5/10
  • *Welshpool Frillies (2023) - 7/10
  • Nowhere to Go But Up (2023) - 6.5/10

Impressive and to be commended! Yep, the classic period is classic for a reason, but I think this current run of the last eight years and 618 albums is a very solid second golden age. I'm taken aback at your singling out Earth Man Blues as a subpar recent offering. To each his own, of course, but it's one of my very favorites not just of the last decade but of all GbV albums, probably a top 5er. Maybe I just lean more towards their poppy stuff, but this album is a gem to me, with full on power-pop delights like "Wave Starter," "Sunshine Girls Hello," "Made Man," "How Can a Plumb be Perfected" and "Free Agents." And "Lights Out in Memphis (Egypt)" is phenomenal. This album is The Who, Cheap Trick & REM in a perfect melange.

Impressive and to be commended! Yep, the classic period is classic for a reason, but I think this current run of the last eight years and 618 albums is a very solid second golden age. I'm taken aback at your singling out Earth Man Blues as a subpar recent offering. To each his own, of course, but it's one of my very favorites not just of the last decade but of all GbV albums, probably a top 5er. Maybe I just lean more towards their poppy stuff, but this album is a gem to me, with full on power-pop delights like "Wave Starter," "Sunshine Girls Hello," "Made Man," "How Can a Plumb be Perfected" and "Free Agents." And "Lights Out in Memphis (Egypt)" is phenomenal. This album is The Who, Cheap Trick & REM in a perfect melange.
Yeah, my first impression might not have been good for whatever reason. One listen only so I can’t recall exactly what I didn’t like about it. Musically I don’t like it when they go heavier or more rockier and prefer tighter power pop. Also lyrically if something stands out in a bad way, but it’s harder to pick up on that after one listen mostly.

Beirut
  1. The Flying Cup Club
  2. Hadsel
  3. Gallipoli
  4. Gulag Orkestar
  5. The Rip Tide
  6. No No No

Sufjan Stevens
  1. Michigan
  2. Carrie & Lowell
  3. Illinoise
  4. Seven Swans
  5. Songs for Christmas
  6. The Avalanche
  7. The Age of Adz
  8. Silver & Gold
  9. Javelin
  10. The Greatest Gift
  11. A Beginner's Mind
  12. Reflections
  13. The Decalogue
  14. The Ascension
  15. All Delighted People
  16. Aporia
  17. Planetarium
  18. A Sun Came
  19. Enjoy Your Rabbit
  20. The BQE
  21. Convocations

Wild Nothing
  1. Nocturne
  2. Indigo
  3. Gemini
  4. Hold
  5. Life of Pause

The Mountain Goats
  1. All Hail West Texas
  2. Full Force Galesburg
  3. The Coroner's Gambit
  4. Tallahassee
  5. The Sunset Tree
  6. Get Lonely
  7. Sweden
  8. All Eternals Deck
  9. Beat the Champ
  10. The Life of the World to Come
  11. Zopilote Machine
  12. Transcendental Youth
  13. In League With Dragons
  14. Goths
  15. Bleed Out
  16. Jenny From Thebes
  17. Dark In Here
  18. Songs for Pierre Chauvin
  19. Getting Into Knives
  20. Heretic Pride
  21. We Shall All Be Healed
  22. Nothing For Juice

Beirut
  1. The Flying Cup Club
  2. Hadsel
  3. Gallipoli
  4. Gulag Orkestar
  5. The Rip Tide
  6. No No No
We are very different here…
01) The Rip Tide
02) The Flying Cup Club
03) Gulag Orkestar
04) Lon Gisland EP
05) No No No
06) March of the Zapotec/Realpeople Holland
07) Gallipoli
08) Hadsel

I have found these last two albums not bad but fairly boring. I even sold off my copy of Gallipoli after failing to have it claimed over in the PIF thread.

We are very different here…
01) The Rip Tide
02) The Flying Cup Club
03) Gulag Orkestar
04) Lon Gisland EP
05) No No No
06) March of the Zapotec/Realpeople Holland
07) Gallipoli
08) Hadsel

I have found these last two albums not bad but fairly boring. I even sold off my copy of Gallipoli after failing to have it claimed over in the PIF thread.
I like the older albums obviously but I really like the sweet spot he’s found in refining his sound with the last two. I find myself returning to those albums more than the older ones. No No No is his only big swing and a miss IMO.

I like the older albums obviously but I really like the sweet spot he’s found in refining his sound with the last two. I find myself returning to those albums more than the older ones. No No No is his only big swing and a miss IMO.
No No No wasn’t as successful but it still had a few tracks that I loved, nothing on the last two has jumped out at me. They’re not bad by any stretch and fine in the background but they never pull me in like his early albums. The only issue I have with The Rip Tide is that the album too short. I always want another song or two once it ends.

R.E.M.

01. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
02. Chronic Town
03. Monster
04. Lifes Rich Pageant
05. Murmur
06. Document
07. Out of Time
08. Automatic For the People
09. Fables of the Reconstruction
10. Reckoning
11. Accelerate
12. Reveal
13. Up
14. Green
15. Around The Sun
16. Collapse Into Now
Reckoning at 10!?

Reckoning at 10!?

Perhaps it would be more accurate to number like this:

02. Chronic Town
02. Monster
03. Lifes Rich Pageant
03. Murmur
03. Document
04. Out of Time
04. Automatic For the People
05. Fables of the Reconstruction
05. Reckoning
06. Accelerate
06. Reveal
07. Up
08. Green
09. Around The Sun
10. Collapse Into Now

Perhaps it would be more accurate to number like this:

02. Chronic Town
02. Monster
03. Lifes Rich Pageant
03. Murmur
03. Document
04. Out of Time
04. Automatic For the People
05. Fables of the Reconstruction
05. Reckoning
06. Accelerate
06. Reveal
07. Up
08. Green
09. Around The Sun
10. Collapse Into Now
New Adventures 👏🏻👏🏻

I actually ranked REM in a Google notes and can’t remember if I actually ever posted it here:

1. Automatic For The People
2. Reckoning
3. Lifes Rich Pageant
4. Murmur
5. Chronic Town
6. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
7. Out Of Time
8. Green
9. Document
10. Fables Of The Reconstruction
11. Monster
12. Reveal
13. Up
14. Collapse Into Now
15. Accelerate
16. Around The Sun

Y'all putting Up wayyyyyyy too low :(

The one thing that sucks about a band putting out nearly a dozen great albums is trying to rank them, because invariably something has to fill the later slots..

Up has a couple of my absolute favourite R.E.M. songs on it, but isn't one of my favourite albums. That said, despite being so low on my list I still think it's a fantastic album!

I actually ranked REM in a Google notes and can’t remember if I actually ever posted it here:

1. Automatic For The People
2. Reckoning
3. Lifes Rich Pageant
4. Murmur
5. Chronic Town
6. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
7. Out Of Time
8. Green
9. Document
10. Fables Of The Reconstruction
11. Monster
12. Reveal
13. Up
14. Collapse Into Now
15. Accelerate
16. Around The Sun
Here goes (almost all are essential and even last place is an album I appreciate):

1. Reckoning
2. Murmur
3. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
4. Document
5. Automatic For The People
6. Lifes Rich Pageant
7. Green
8. Fables of the Reconstruction
9. Chronic Town
10. Reveal
11. Accelerate
12. Out of Time
13. Monster
14. Up
15. Collapse Into Now
16. Around The Sun

Y'all putting Up wayyyyyyy too low :(
Up ⬆️ has some really good songs including Daysleeper, Lotus 🪷, Walk Unafraid and At My Most Beautiful but unfortunately the album as a whole is slightly uneven and overstuffed. The record lacks identity and direction imo. That said, I still like it and listen to it 20 years after its original release.

Back